Endorsement Deals Reminder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Given we're almost at the half-way mark, I wanted to give a quick reminder to teams about their Endorsement deals. This is especially for new GMs who might not be aware of what commitments their predecessor made.

All Endorsement deal details and commitments are listed above on the message board (sticky post), so be sure to double check what opportunities are there for your team to pull in some cash. It might be you can adjust a few thinks to get you over the top.

GMs should not the cost of these deals has already been deducted from their bank balances, so the only issue is whether you reach the milestones and get the respective payouts at the end of the season.

Based on a quick glance, the majority of endorsement deals will not be met.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Wild GM said:
To whom should we address any deals we want to back out of for 1/2 the cost?

Excellent question!

Just to confirm, as well - Are players or prospects counting towards endorsements supposed to have been with the team for a) all of the season, b) most of the season (deinfed as ???), c) half the season, d) no restriction?

Thanks!

Mar 1, 2002
I am on the borderline on most of my endorsements.

I am 1000 fans a game ahead of my attendance goal, .02% below my PK goal and right there for my prospect goals.

GRRRRR. I hate decisions.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Yikes - just realized the rules of Endorsement deals are not stickied, and the old post is buried deep in the archives (if there at all).

To answer the questions at hand:

- the rules indicate teams must give notice of cancellation of an Endorsement deal before their 42 game of the season, but given the lack of reminders on this rule and the fact we have a few new GMs, we'll extend the period until next Saturday, February 21st at noon.

- all notices of Endorsement cancellations should be sent to me ([email protected]) with the subject title "HFNHL Endorsement" notice

- players and prospects eligible for awards have to be with the team for the entire season

Here are the rules as communcated before the season began:

HFNHL Endorsements will be added to HFNHL team’s revenue in order to help provide extra income for rising salaries. There are four different types of endorsement deals teams can choose from. No team is obligated to enter into an endorsement deal, it is simply a way for each team to try and earn extra revenue.

<b>1. Broadcast Deals:</b> will allow each team the opportunity to make extra money by signing a T.V. deal with a major network. Extra revenue from this source will depend upon the quality of their respective club and the fans desire to watch them play.
<b>2. Merchandise Deals:</b> are run under a very simple principle. The better the team does, the more fans it attracts. The more fans a team attracts, the more merchandise a team will be able to sell.
<b>3. Team Endorsements:</b> are available to all clubs willing to gamble on the team’s upcoming season. They can be thought of as “Corporate Sponsorships†in which a company aligns itself with a team for exposure to the hockey public. Certain companies want to be associated with certain types of teams and some have different expectations (and revenues) than others.
<b>4. Individual Endorsements:</b> are essentially players endorsing specific products. The only difference between this and real life is the team gets the money not the player.
Teams are rewarded for their player’s individual accomplishments. Individual performances only apply to players and prospects that are with your team for the entire season.

Each team has the opportunity to enter into ONE Broadcast Deal, ONE Merchandise Deal, and any combination of TWO Team Endorsements or Individual Endorsements.

<b>Commitment and Risk</b>
To enter into an agreement you must make a commitment and pay the “Cost†fee before the start of the season. This money comes out of your team’s budget immediately. You may cancel your endorsement deal anytime BEFORE your 42nd regular season game is played, however you will only receive 50% of the “Cost†fee back. If you cancel an endorsement deal at any time during the season you CAN NOT sign the SAME deal again the following season.

So these deals are not without risks. As teams could actually lose money on these deals if they don’t plan properly in anticipation of their team’s and players performances. The system is also designed so that the higher the risk, the higher the revenue.

<b>Submissions & Payout</b>
Each General Manager will be required to submit their Endorsement commitments before the season begins. At the end of the season, each General Manager who qualifies for any of their Endorsement Deals must submit a detailed account of which obligations were met, and the statistical proof of the achievement.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Exactly how many games does a goalie have to play to count for the top 3 in gaa or s%? Curious if Fleury has a chance, or how close Daigneualt is.

Let's see, out of the Devs prospects that I was counting on earning me the bonus, Fleury, Horton, and Semin all jumped to the NHL, while Vanek and O'Sullivan would both be on pace to clear the hurdle had they not played in the WJC. My prospects are just too damned good. :cry:

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
kasper11 said:
Exactly how many games does a goalie have to play to count for the top 3 in gaa or s%? Curious if Fleury has a chance, or how close Daigneualt is.

I would argue the goalie needs to have played in at least half their team's games - after all, anyone can have a sparkling gaa and save% in 5 appearances... (well, OK - I can't, but any goalie who make sit that far can have a hot streak!). The real measure is whether they can sustain that level of play ove rhte long haul. Fortunately for me, Corey Crawford fits the bill in both gaa and save%. Unfortunately for me, a given prospect can only qualify in one category!

Like Rich, I've been burned by at least one too-successful prospect - Pitkanen - although I will reap the rewards next season when he's in the HFNHL and playing at a high skill level... unfortunately, Bernier and Tambellini have fallen well short of the mark, and some of my most successful prospects - Jones, Clarke, etc. - are ever-so-slightly out of the age bracket and so don't qualify.

Still, I'd rather get my million back off Crawford's strong numbers than settle for $500K!

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Obviously given we're talking about goalies in several different leagues, all of which play a different number of games in their league schedule, we'll have to look at a % of games. And 50% sounds like a minimum given it is really supposed to be for a goalie who demonstrates dominance, rather than exceptional play by a goalie on a part-time or fill-in basis.

my qeustion is about the cancellation of deals....obviously I'm not going to make my 75% attendace rate this season, so I want to can that, but I might take a stab at it next season....if I cancel the endorsement, can I take a shot at the 80% next season? or are all attendance endorsements grouped together for this case?

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Dr.Sens(e) said:
<b>4. Individual Endorsements:</b> are essentially players endorsing specific products. The only difference between this and real life is the team gets the money not the player.
Teams are rewarded for their player’s individual accomplishments. Individual performances only apply to players and prospects that are with your team for the entire season.

So I couldn't trade for a player now or at the deadline who fills up the Individual Endorsement?

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Ville Isopää said:
So I couldn't trade for a player now or at the deadline who fills up the Individual Endorsement?

Nope. Any player or prospect who was traded once the season began doesn't qualify for either team.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Chuzwazza said:
But Mr. Quain!, Mr. Quain! what about my question! Hmmm...not being answered...wow...it's just like trade talks with Matt :joker:
Know how you feel, Josh!

As to your question, it was my understanding that endorsement deals are for one year, so you'd be free to negotiate whatever deals you thought you could achieve next season, regardless of how you did against those objectives this year.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Sorry for missing your initial post Josh.

Just for clarification, if you cancel an endorsement deal, you can not sign the same deal next year. But it is with that sponsor only, so you could sign up for a new Broadcast deal (basically at a difference attendance % target).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->