End of eras, how many Nords/Jets/Whalers still around

blamebettman*

This thread is basically to discuss the end of eras, and to maybe make a complete list of just how many guys are still in the NHL that suited up for either the Whalers, Jets, or Nordiques. You might be surprised at just how few remain, and in the next 3-4 years you'll see an even more dramatic decline.

Another end of era: When Messier retired in 2004, he was the last remaining NHLer to play in the 70's, as well as the last to play in the WHA. Also he might have been the last to wear the old Winn-Well helmet.

Off the top of my head...last remaining Nords

Peter Forsberg
Joe Sakic
Adam Foote
Mike Ricci
Owen Nolan
Chris Simon
Aaron Miller
Jon Klemm
Mats Sundin

Jets

Keith Tkachuk
Teemu Selanne
Khabibulin
Tverdovsky
Teppo Numinen
Alexei Zhamnov(is he still around?)
Shane Doan

Whalers
Geoff Sanderson
Jeff O'Neill
Glen Wesley
Sami Kapanen
Marek Malik

just for fun, last remaining North Stars

Mike Modano

anybody else?

help me finish out these lists.

Last edited by a moderator:

frontsfan2005

Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Quebec Nordiques:

Martin Rucinsky
Chris Simon
Jocelyn Thibault

Winnipeg Jets:

Dallas Drake
Chad Kilger
Stu Barnes

Hartford Whalers:

Sean Burke
Brendan Shanahan
J.S. Giguere
Chris Pronger
Michael Nylander

Minnesota North Stars:

Derian Hatcher

pnep

Mar 10, 2004
Novosibirsk,Russia
HAR

Player -- POS
=============
Burke Sean -- G (AHL)
Cassels Andrew -- C
Giguere Jean Sebastien -- G
Holik Bobby -- C
Kapanen Sami -- RW
Malik Marek -- D
Marchment Bryan -- D
Martins Steve -- C (AHL)
Nikolishin Andrei -- C (Russia)
Nylander Michael -- C
O'Neill Jeff -- RW
Pratt Nolan -- D
Primeau Keith -- C
Pronger Chris -- D
Sanderson Geoff -- LW
Shanahan Brendan -- LW
Wesley Glen -- D

MIN1

Player -- POS
=============
Hatcher Derian -- D
Matvichuk Richard -- D
Miller Kip -- C (AHL)
Modano Mike -- C
Simpson Reid -- LW (Russia)

QUE

Player -- POS
=============
Foote Adam -- D
Forsberg Peter -- C
Gelinas Martin -- LW
Klemm Jon -- D
Lapointe Claude -- C (Switzerland)
Lindsay Bill -- LW (Germany)
Miller Aaron -- D
Miller Kip -- C (AHL)
Nolan Owen -- RW
Ricci Mike -- C
Rucinsky Martin -- LW
Sakic Joe -- C
Simon Chris -- LW
Sundin Mats -- C
Thibault Jocelyn -- G

WIN

Player -- POS
==============
Barnes Stu -- C
Doan Shane -- RW
Doig Jason -- D (Russia)
Drake Dallas -- LW
Draper Kris -- C
Grosek Michal -- LW (Switzerland)
Khabibulin Nikolai -- G
Kilger Chad -- C
Korolev Igor -- RW (Russia)
Marchment Bryan -- D
Mironov Boris -- D (Russia)
Numminen Teppo -- D
Quint Deron -- D (Germany)
Selanne Teemu -- RW
Tkachuk Keith -- LW
Tverdovsky Oleg -- D
Ulanov Igor -- D (Russia)

Amateur Hour

Jul 23, 2006
Negadelphia
Two more to add to the Quebec list...

Milan Hejduk and Wade Belak. While neither ever played a game for the Nordiques franchise when it was still in Quebec City, they were part of the team's final draft in 1994 before relocating to Denver. Hejduk was the 87th overall pick, and Belak was the 12th.

I guess you could always technically add Eric Lindros to the list, seeing as how he was originally a Nordiques pick, but I won't go there... haha

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
What I would like to see is that we could see some player who has played for Minnesota North Stars and Minnesota Wild. I think there isn't any yet.

Wachovia Center

Dec 2, 2006
This thread is basically to discuss the end of eras, and to maybe make a complete list of just how many guys are still in the NHL that suited up for either the Whalers, Jets, or Nordiques. You might be surprised at just how few remain, and in the next 3-4 years you'll see an even more dramatic decline.

Another end of era: When Messier retired in 2004, he was the last remaining NHLer to play in the 70's, as well as the last to play in the WHA. Also he might have been the last to wear the old Winn-Well helmet.

Off the top of my head...last remaining Nords

Peter Forsberg
Joe Sakic
Adam Foote
Mike Ricci
Owen Nolan
Chris Simon
Aaron Miller
Jon Klemm
Mats Sundin

Jets

Keith Tkachuk
Teemu Selanne
Khabibulin
Tverdovsky
Teppo Numinen
Alexei Zhamnov(is he still around?)
Shane Doan

Whalers
Geoff Sanderson
Jeff O'Neill
Glen Wesley
Sami Kapanen
Marek Malik

just for fun, last remaining North Stars

Mike Modano

anybody else?

help me finish out these lists.

Derian Hatcher played for the North Stars, Brendan Shanahan played for the Whalers, so did Jean-Sebastien Giguere. Martin Rucinsky played for the nords... I'm missing a lot I think.

coyoteshockeyfan

Mar 17, 2004
Coyote Country
Judging by your ":shakehead ", you have no interest in what I have to say anyway, so what the **** is the point of me explaing my point of view to you? I have better things to do with my time, thanks.
Ignorantly bash something without any sort of supporting evidence whatsoever and then run away, nice. For some reason that happens a lot with naysayers of Phoenix (and pretty much every other Southern team for that matter).

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
Judging by your ":shakehead ", you have no interest in what I have to say anyway, so what the **** is the point of me explaing my point of view to you? I have better things to do with my time, thanks.

Hockey isn't exactly a top attraction in Phoenix, but if you won't take the time to back up your statement, the rest of us will take it as a bunch of ********.

Most fans would respond with a ":shakehead " when someone else says that hockey is a failure in their area.

Beauty eh?

Not sure if serious.
Dec 20, 2004
Southern California
Ignorantly bash something without any sort of supporting evidence whatsoever and then run away, nice. For some reason that happens a lot with naysayers of Phoenix (and pretty much every other Southern team for that matter).

I'm not running away, I'm just not going to take the time to explain how I feel about the situation to you. Case closed.

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
An arguement without evidence.:biglaugh:

I'm not arguing against you but if you have an arguement that offends people be prepared to back it up.

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Two more to add to the Quebec list...

Milan Hejduk and Wade Belak. While neither ever played a game for the Nordiques franchise when it was still in Quebec City, they were part of the team's final draft in 1994 before relocating to Denver. Hejduk was the 87th overall pick, and Belak was the 12th.

I guess you could always technically add Eric Lindros to the list, seeing as how he was originally a Nordiques pick, but I won't go there... haha

You can also add Chris Drury and Tim Thomas, as they were drafted in 1994, Anson Carter (1992) and Manny Fernandez (1992) for Quebec.

hexrae

Jun 29, 2006
Peg City
Wow, we can't have any kind of discussion about former teams without flaming any of the current teams can we? THAT deserves a :shakehead

With that said, Chad Kilger deserves a :shakehead since he and Tverdovsky is what we got for Selanne and Marc Chouinard back in 96. Talk about throwing in the towel. :help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->