Emery or LeNeveu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
Ray Emery (OTT) v David LeNeveu (PHX)

Who's got the better long-term potential?
What do you see as each guy's ceiling? (All-Star, starter, backup, etc)
Who'll get their opportunity first?

leafaholix*

Haven't seen LeNeveu since 2003 WJC... but Ray Emery is crazy good.

Positionally, he's one of the top prospects I've seen.

I like Ray Emery.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Emery is a top 5, maybe top 3 goalie prospect in the world. LeNeveu, while good, is not anything special, likely a bare top 10 goalieprospect, though definitely top 15. There are a lot of netminders on par with him right now, while few could tip Emery's impressive career so far..

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
LeNeveu is more of a question mark at this point, but after a slow start, he has slowly crept up to an AHL allstar in his rookie season - no small accomplishment for a goalie. In comparison to Emery, he is putting up similar numbers on a much worse team.

That said, Emery is more of a proven commodity at this point, and has already made some quality NHL starts in the last two seasons. If he can continue to refine his technique and his puckhandling, he'll be a sure-fire NHL starter, possibly a star.

Both have #1 goalie potential, it's just Emery is a little less risky at this point given we've seen him as a pro for much longer.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Modano = God said:
Emery is a top 5, maybe top 3 goalie prospect in the world. LeNeveu, while good, is not anything special, likely a bare top 10 goalieprospect, though definitely top 15. There are a lot of netminders on par with him right now, while few could tip Emery's impressive career so far..

Not anything special? :)

I'm not sure how can you say that about a prospect who is coming off breaking Ken Dryden's college records last year. He's already an All-Star in the AHL after just 18 games despite a relatively slow start although admittedly politics played a part there. I agree there are lots of good goaltending prospects.. compiling a top ten would be an absolute nightmare but I dont think you can say Leneveu is not anything special.

Back to sveiglar's question, Emery will clearly get his shot first. He's three years older and I dont know how you can differentiate who has the higher upside since both are excellent. Phoenix is deeper in goal which blocks Leneveu as well although if Burke is traded, Pelletier lost to free agency and Bierk remains injured, then Leneveu is suddenly the back up next year.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Emery will no doubt get his shot first, and he is the more proven (and thus less risky) commodity. LeNeveu, on the other hand, is more of a hit-or-miss guy, although all signs point to hit at this point. His positioning is extremely sound, which is why he is the perfect prospect for Benny Allaire to work his magic on.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Stevex said:

I'm not sure how can you say that about a prospect who is coming off breaking Ken Dryden's college records last year. He's already an All-Star in the AHL after just 18 games despite a relatively slow start although admittedly politics played a part there. I agree there are lots of good goaltending prospects.. compiling a top ten would be an absolute nightmare but I dont think you can say Leneveu is not anything special.

Back to sveiglar's question, Emery will clearly get his shot first. He's three years older and I dont know how you can differentiate who has the higher upside since both are excellent. Phoenix is deeper in goal which blocks Leneveu as well although if Burke is traded, Pelletier lost to free agency and Bierk remains injured, then Leneveu is suddenly the back up next year.

How soon people forget. Unbeleivable. To say that LeNeveu is unappreciated is an understatement. He may turn out to be the steal of the 2002 draft.

I agree 100% with SteveX.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Stevex said:

Leneveu is 21 in May. Emery turned 21 in September. 3 years difference?

The Jerk*

Hossa said:

You forgot to take into account the exchange rate, since Lenevue plays for Pho, and Emery for Ott....

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Hydroponic Harold said:
All i can say is LaSivo sucked for Canada at the World Juniors and Emery seems like he could be a #1 ..NOW ..in the NHL .

Well, you can judge LeNeveu on a couple sub par (definitely did not suck) games where no one but the coach wanted him to be there, or you can judge him on his collegiate/AHL career where he has been nothing but stellar.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
LeNeveu Broke Ken Dryden's collegiate records in many categories, and is an all-star in his first season in the AHL.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Voodoo Daddy said:
Thanks for repeating that.
The Phoenix contingent is strong here.

not that I'm accusing you of this but LeNeveu has received a fairly bad rap on these boards on the basis of one or two games that he played at the World Juniors. His statistics for the most part have been largely ignored. Realistically, one could post that MA Fleury a bust after he played a couple of stinkers during his most recent stint at the World Juniors but that would be ignoring everything else he has done in his career. In other words it's not a fair representation. I like Emery a great deal and right now he is likely ahead of LeNeveu on the prospect depth chart; however, LeNeveu is a top flight four star prospect in his own right and deserves some respect.

badtakemachine

Dec 20, 2002
Leneveu, but my opinion on this doesn't mean much since I know the guy.

Emery has been an AHL all star for a while, but an NHL starter? On what team?

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Hossa said:

Whoops :) My mistake. I thought Emery was '80.

Anyway I think Emery is significantly further ahead in his development and therefore a safer bet. He looks ready to graduate from the AHL whereas Leneveu has only just started and each successive jump is harder to make. At his current rate of progress though I wouldnt be surprised if Phoenix gives him a taste of the NHL before the season ends.

leafaholix*

Lalime's getting older... I'd take Emery over Lalime in a year or two.

Spezza

Dec 13, 2002
Ottawa <-> Scotland
PhoPhan said:
LeNeveu Broke Ken Dryden's collegiate records in many categories, and is an all-star in his first season in the AHL.
Emery was an all-star in his first season in the AHL as well.

Congratulations to both of them.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
littleD said:
Some people in Ottawa might take him over Lalime.

some people outside of Ottawa might say that is not saying much. I've never been a huge supporter of Lalime.

Dan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
As a Coyote fan, my opinion is Emery is the more polished goaltender right now. They are both excellent positional goaltenders. And I think both have what it takes, talent-wise and mentally, to be a #1 NHL goalie. I would say Emery is ahead in his development at this point, but nobody knows what will happen down the line.

sensfan18

Nov 8, 2002
London/Ottawa
Visit site
PhoPhan said:

Emery was CHL goalie of the year and was an all-star in his 1st year, what's your point? Also, I'm pretty sure he was on the AHL 2nd all-star team at year's end. I'll take Emery because he chucks the knuckles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad