Confirmed with Link: Emelin to Nashville for a 3rd

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
...Not quite sure that's a confirmed source. We got nothing over in Smashville.

Not that I'd be against it, though. We tend to do well with ex-Habs d-men.

TeamlessWatcher

Mar 13, 2008
I really don't understand McPhee. I thought Vegas could've had a decent team this year without sacrificing their future just through the expansion draft and signings.

Instead he decided to have an awful team for a couple of extra 2020 picks.

At least 2/3 of the deals he's made for Vegas so far has me wondering why.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I really don't understand McPhee. I thought Vegas could've had a decent team this year without sacrificing their future just through the expansion draft and signings.

Instead he decided to have an awful team for a couple of extra 2020 picks.

At least 2/3 of the deals he's made for Vegas so far has me wondering why.
The Methot deal I still don't get, but is this one that bad? Is Emelin really that much better than the other dmen Vegas will have?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Vegas is retaining some salary. Pick is in 2019.

Don't like the salary retention.

Teams can only retain on three salaries at any given time. That's one less retention slot available at the trade deadline this season, when retention tends to have the most value. McPhee has a roster with a lot of guys on expiring contracts that could fetch a good TDL return.

TeamlessWatcher

Mar 13, 2008
The Methot deal I still don't get, but is this one that bad? Is Emelin really that much better than the other dmen Vegas will have?

It's questionable at best IMO. I'm not saying it's atrocious or anything but all these questionable deals add up to me. You look at what could've been and what currently is, and it's tough for me to be happy for this team.

The 2 extra first rounders they got, absolutely a great idea and deal for Vegas, but a lot of the others I feel will keep this team mediocre for a few years.

*EDIT : I guess they are banking on high draft picks over the next couple of years to get good.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I was thinking they could draft a lot better team prior to this all happening.

However, as I'm watching it go down I think it's probably the right move. I'm sure the Knights could have been a pretty good team this year if they wanted. They could have made some moves to get in the playoffs in two years. However, they'd likely stick it out there for a while. Middling team that's never great and makes the playoffs most of the time.

You never get the elite players in a trade, you've got to draft them. So, you draft a team to flip for picks, play to get into the lottery for a few years, draft as many players as you can, go from there.

The second way's not going to be as fun for those of us in the arena and watching on TV, but in the long run it's the better move.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
It's questionable at best IMO. I'm not saying it's atrocious or anything but all these questionable deals add up to me. You look at what could've been and what currently is, and it's tough for me to be happy for this team.

The 2 extra first rounders they got, absolutely a great idea and deal for Vegas, but a lot of the others I feel will keep this team mediocre for a few years.

*EDIT : I guess they are banking on high draft picks over the next couple of years to get good.

That's interesting because I'm flat out amazed Emelin fetched a 3rd after Schlemko got a 5th, TVR got a 2nd with a 7th going back and Methot returned a 2nd and a goalie picked in the 7th round. Especially when you consider where Emelin went. I would have thought Nashville would be a bit more picky in adding to their bottom pairing.

a week ago I, like you, thought these Dmen would have a bidding war for them simply because of all the talking GMs have done leading up to the trade freeze.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
That's interesting because I'm flat out amazed Emelin fetched a 3rd after Schlemko got a 5th, TVR got a 2nd with a 7th going back and Methot returned a 2nd and a goalie picked in the 7th round. Especially when you consider where Emelin went. I would have thought Nashville would be a bit more picky in adding to their bottom pairing.

a week ago I, like you, thought these Dmen would have a bidding war for them simply because of all the talking GMs have done leading up to the trade freeze.
There should've been a bidding war on Methot and I think McPhee got fleeced on that. I also think McPhee should've stayed away from Sbisa and Emelin in the hopes of using that cap space and a trade chip to get someone like Panarin. It seemed like Chicago was dumping him and we could've sent some draft capital and cap space there way. If he didn't want to resign after the two years then you ship him off at the 2019 TDL.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Don't like the salary retention.

Teams can only retain on three salaries at any given time. That's one less retention slot available at the trade deadline this season, when retention tends to have the most value. McPhee has a roster with a lot of guys on expiring contracts that could fetch a good TDL return.

This is a one year contract, so it won't hurt future trades.

Other trade chips like Neal can go at full value without any retention.

There are really no other significant one year deals to move, so I don't think this was a pint of contention.

If no salary was retained, Emelin would've went for a 5th or less.

He had a really, really bad year for MTL. Their fans were cheering in the streets when we took his contract over someone like Hudson.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland

We are obviously avoiding all solid D men at all cost, and Emelin isn't even one of them.

I think it's a good deal with the future in sight.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

There are really no other significant one year deals to move, so I don't think this was a pint of contention.

He had a really, really bad year for MTL. Their fans were cheering in the streets when we took his contract over someone like Hudson.

Actually he had a real good year up until March when paired with Weber and Benn. Then he just started making all kinds of mental errors. He's wildly inconsistent.

I don't get what Nashville was thinking here looking for a big open ice hitter that isn't too dependable. I think they'll have to spend more assets to get another D at the deadline when they could have just ponied up a bit more to get Methot and shore up the defense for 2 years.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
I'm surprised George got a 3rd rounder for Emelin. Even with the salary retention he's not a good player and a round 3 pick is excellent value. Nice move.

And irt the team overall now vs picks, even if he had gone all out on fielding the best team for just this season, the difference in win/loss is what, 5-10 games? I see a lot of "Vegas is tanking" comments around these boards and it cracks me up because I think to myself "well of course they are."

They have zero shot of winning it all in year one. So call it tanking or whatever you want, but you aren't going to stack a team in year one to try to make the playoffs because it will be fleeting due to the short term nature of available talent in said expansion draft. Best of all possible outcomes would be elimination from playoff contention late in the year, meaning you were competitive but still retain the lottery pick chance.

Come the trade deadline flip one or two of these forwards for more picks, and maybe sign one of them as a long term piece. If they flip a couple forwards then this team is going to finish bottom third for sure and be looking at a high possibility chance at a lottery win, which I am fine with. It's year one. Eating that poor record in year one is not only doable, but it's wise for long term health of the organization and our sanity.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

I would have taken the lesser pick on Emelin. Sure some teams can fit Neal or other players in without retention, but if you can retain that increases the TDL return and pool of potential trade partners to bid the price up.

I simply think retaining salary will return more value at the TDL then it does now.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
I would have taken the lesser pick on Emelin. Sure some teams can fit Neal or other players in without retention, but if you can retain that increases the TDL return and pool of potential trade partners to bid the price up.

I simply think retaining salary will return more value at the TDL then it does now.
Also at the Deadline Nash's 6 million salairy is say 2 million to trade teams can fit that. The retention is fine in this trade.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com

I understand where you're coming from, but the prorated cap at the deadline could be useful to us. And I wouldn't even be opposed to taking back an expiring cap dump as well to help any deal go through.

Moving Methot at full salary was a huge plus, and Emelin probably had the worst contract of the guys we were trying to move over the summer - retaining on him to get a deal done is fine by me.

By my accounts, we've essentially got 6 expiring deals that we could possibly move this season: Neal, Perron, Marchessault, Garrison, Sbisa and McNabb (I don't think anyone's touching Stoner). Moving McNabb or Marchessault shouldn't require retention, due to their low cap hits.

So now we've got 2 retention slots for four players: Neal ($5M), Perron ($3.75M), Garrison ($4.6M) and Sbisa ($3.6M). My hope is that Neal uses one, and Garrison potentially uses the other (although his actual salary is only $2.5M, so if you're dealing with a budget team they might take the full hit). If we have to take another bad expiring contract in a deal for Perron/Sbisa, there's a chance it might help increase the return, no?

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
I hate how a lot of fans are so trigger happy to move players like March, Neal, and Perron.

If it was up to me, I would play them for a couple of months and show the the culture, city, etc. and ask if they were interested in multi year extensions.

If they weren't, that would be the only reason I would move them.

The team can't lose every single good player on the team for futures or they will go 0-82 next year.

If that happened to any other team than the Maple Laffs, the team would go bankrupt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad