Speculation: Elliotte Friedman on Matthews speculation with his next contract

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I believe inflation ties more to generations than year-to-year salaries. It stands to reason that as the cap went up McDavid's generation makes more relative to Crosby's generation. If salaries were tied to percentages of caps then what's the point of cap increases? You're not going to get cap relief, you're just going to pay more in salary. This would kick NHL salaries into some out-of-control form of super-inflation.

Craig Button made a good point about arbitration findings. They don't use percentages of cap, they use similar players as comparisons. If this salary went to arbitration they would likely be looking at Eichel's salary, and not the percentage of McDavid's cap relative to the Oilers overall cap.
I can't say if it is tied to generation but tied to Cap does seem more logical than just age?

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
People realize that the agent left the agency right? Matthews stayed with his agent.

It would be like if you used a lawyer for business dealings and he or she left their firm. You would still continue to use them at their new firm.

People also realize that CAA (the agent that he left) is one of the biggest in the world, correct? Pat Brisson is literally the most powerful agent in the NHL.

This isn't going to get Matthews any more or any less money than he was going to get.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
what did it say for Pittsburgh?
twice?

it doesn't matter. they all signed deals that took them to early UFA. (in fact until he changed representation Matthews agency was the same as all of those who signed early)

It means he’ll walk and sign his big deal when he’s in is prime. I think it would be after the new CBA, too.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
It means he’ll walk and sign his big deal when he’s in is prime. I think it would be after the new CBA, too.

or it means. he wanted a 5 year deal, and he could sign a new one.
you know.
like the countless other superstars did before him.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
I can't say if it is tied to generation but tied to Cap does seem more logical than just age?
I'm saying that each generation as a whole is more tied to cap and individual salaries are more tied to other similar individual salaries.

What we may and have seen is generational players (ie: McDavid, Crosby) impacting and setting new comparison salaries. So as the cap rises we may see minor inflations on lessor contracts than McDavid's, it won't be until the next generational or large impact player arrives and sets the new basis for top-end contracts.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

okay i've pointed out several very prominent players who signed five year deals opting for early UFA and only 1 of them might leave and that is because that team is a gong-show, and will have no arena.

if matthews decides to take 5 years it doesn't mean he doesn't want to commit to Toronto, it could be (like others pointed out) leaving himself open for a more massive pay or just following the trend of most elite player and doing a shorter term before they do the long term.

if you want to believe that it doesn't then you can, but it didn't for everyone else, so you don't know that it will mean that Matthews will split.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I agree that a 5 year deal doesn't at all mean that Matthews doesn't want to commit to Toronto. But I wholeheartedly don't think a 5 year deal should be on the table.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Chances are Matthews will sign an 8 year extension since it's what McDavid and Eichel did. Now on the off chance he signs a 7 year extension I wonder what everyone will say about that, since the main board assumes he and Babcock are not getting along due to one Tweet from John Shannon.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
No truth to Shannon story. He has no connections at MLSE or the Matthews camp.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
You cannot have Matthews on a 5 year contract in Toronto. Because of the media, easy to say 'screw them' now but you know Simmons, Cox, etc will from the get go be reading the worst possibilities into it and it will not stop, every slump the Leafs or Matthews have over those 5 years will be used to bring up the 5 year contract that makes Matthews a UFA at 26, there will be columns about trading the kid rather than risk losing him in a few years and that will surely wear thin quick on Matthews and his parents and actually will increase the risk he bolts as a UFA. He needs to sign for 8 years like McDavid and Eichel.

Tavares to Marner

Dec 20, 2011
Hamilton
Kinda annoyed he has the guts to ask for 11m+ after that playoff showing

This team is bigger than any player, I don't care who it is. It's obvious which guys have that mentality (Rielly, Kadri, Hyman, Marner)

I like Matthews don't get me wrong but he's giving off a really stuck up attitude. I don't get why he's entitied to so much already

If he wants to leave, then leave.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

This team is bigger than any player, I don't care who it is. It's obvious which guys have that mentality (Rielly, Kadri, Hyman, Marner)

I like Matthews don't get me wrong but he's giving off a really stuck up attitude. I don't get why he's entitied to so much already

He's asking for that money because he's clearly worth it.

Reactions: Menzinger

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
10m for 69 points? No thanks

8.5 mill or play better. Either or works with me

Jack Eichel who so far has not been as good compared to Matthews got an 8 year extension for $10,000,000 prior to the 3rd year of his ELC after he registered 24 goals, 32 assists for a total 56 points in his rookie season and 24 goals, 33 assists for 57 points in his second season.

Tavares to Marner

Dec 20, 2011
Hamilton
Jack Eichel who so far has not been as good compared to Matthews got an 8 year extension for $10,000,000 prior to the 3rd year of his ELC after he registered 24 goals, 32 assists for a total 56 points in his rookie season and 24 goals, 33 assists for 57 points in his second season.

That contract still feels iffy to me but he also hit those numbers in very few games. Eichel has been pretty neck and neck with Matthews

Matthews should sign a bridge (2 - 4) year and prove he's got more in his tank

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
That contract still feels iffy to me but he also hit those numbers in very few games.

Matthews should sign a bridge (2 - 4) year and prove he's got more in his tanm
Matthews should not be signing a bridge deal or even a 5 year deal. If Jack Eichel signed an 8 year deal than Matthews deserves one as well and for a little more money.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
okay i've pointed out several very prominent players who signed five year deals opting for early UFA and only 1 of them might leave and that is because that team is a gong-show, and will have no arena.

if matthews decides to take 5 years it doesn't mean he doesn't want to commit to Toronto, it could be (like others pointed out) leaving himself open for a more massive pay or just following the trend of most elite player and doing a shorter term before they do the long term.

if you want to believe that it doesn't then you can, but it didn't for everyone else, so you don't know that it will mean that Matthews will split.

If we sign Mathews to a 5 year deal we should demand that all management should be fired right away. You do not open the doors for him to walk away for nothing in 5 years. 4 years or less or 8 years those are the options.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
No truth to Shannon story. He has no connections at MLSE or the Matthews camp.
You could not be more wrong if you tried. The story is true and he has more connections in MLSE then most.

One More thing this is all coming from Mathews family and they have used Sportsnet as their source to leak info all along.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
If we sign Mathews to a 5 year deal we should demand that all management should be fired right away. You do not open the doors for him to walk away for nothing in 5 years. 4 years or less or 8 years those are the options.

as was pointed out several times.
Crosby signed a 5 year deal that would have had him a UFA. nothing happened
Malkin signed a 5 year deal that would have had him a UFA. nothing happened.
Stamkos signed a 5 year deal that would have had him a UFA. nothing happened.
The only reason why John Tavares might leave is because the Islanders have been a gong-show. and they don't have an arena. and he still very easily could stay.

those are the notable ones. so basically. 3 out of 4 stayed with their highly successful team . And quite frankly, there isn't a big difference between 5 and 8. because at the end of it Matthews will be a UFA anyway. if he hits 5 he's 27ish and he can get a bigger payday, if he hits 8 he's 30ish (and he's gonna hit a bigger payday). he's gonna get his money regardless.

now before Matthews changed agencies, I have said that would have been the deal i was expecting because Brission is Crosby, Malin and Tavares's agent and they all had the "short UFA track contract." i'd gather it's to protect the player (as they were all #1 draft picks) not to be in a terrible situation. 3 stayed. again. Tavares might go because the Islanders sucked for so long. if people are that afraid that matthews will leave after 5 years then quite frankly, i don't know what the other 3 years is going to do for you because he easily could leave then too.

Reactions: grapes55

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad