Elimination World Cup Game in Toronto -- Not a Sellout?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
The Albino said:
Because this board is about debating what's going on in the world of hockey. It's not like somebody posted a thread titled "Toronto sucks: Give your reasons." This has been a serious issue and it's no different than discussing Brett Hull walking out of practice or Finland finishing top in their pool.
There is a big difference, that is about the game, the teams the important things. You would have a valid argument if these games were being played in Pickering, but putting a World Class event in Toronto is not unheard of. Montreal had their crack last time perhaps Vancouver etc will get their crack. I'm not greedy - this tourney should be shared all over but it's in Toronto NOW. Nothing wrong with it and its getting better.

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
SwisshockeyAcademy said:
There is a big difference, that is about the game, the teams the important things. You would have a valid argument if these games were being played in Pickering, but putting a World Class event in Toronto is not unheard of. Montreal had their crack last time perhaps Vancouver etc will get their crack. I'm not greedy - this tourney should be shared all over but it's in Toronto NOW. Nothing wrong with it and its getting better.

But that's what makes it a story. If it were in Flin Flon and got poor crowd reception, nobody would care. It's the fact that Toronto has a reputation as one of the hockey capitals of the world that makes it a story worth telling.

I'm not saying Toronto doesn't deserve to host any games. It's a logical choice to host World Class events. Hell, they almost got the Olympics. They are the economic center of Canada. And considering Montreal got the finals last time, it made even more sense for Toronto to get them this time. But it doesn't change the fact that the crowd response has been underwhelming. People are just discussing reasons why this may be (the one making the most sense being all the suits at the games).

Also, let's not forget, if Canada makes it to the finals and Toronto puts on a great display, all this will be forgotten. So they still have a chance to "redeem" themselves, so to speak.

Yes Im Peter Ing

Dec 6, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Canadian_man said:
Actually its Canadians arguing with Torontonians. Trust me, there's a difference.

I'm sorry, what's that? I certainly hope you're not suggesting what I think you may be suggesting. If you are, and if you ever again feel the need to proclaim your stance on why Torontonians are somehow less Canadian, then please, feel free to make your way over here. I'd love to discuss this issue face to face.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
The Albino said:
But that's what makes it a story. If it were in Flin Flon and got poor crowd reception, nobody would care. It's the fact that Toronto has a reputation as one of the hockey capitals of the world that makes it a story worth telling.

I'm not saying Toronto doesn't deserve to host any games. It's a logical choice to host World Class events. Hell, they almost got the Olympics. They are the economic center of Canada. And considering Montreal got the finals last time, it made even more sense for Toronto to get them this time. But it doesn't change the fact that the crowd response has been underwhelming. People are just discussing reasons why this may be (the one making the most sense being all the suits at the games).

Also, let's not forget, if Canada makes it to the finals and Toronto puts on a great display, all this will be forgotten. So they still have a chance to "redeem" themselves, so to speak.
I am counting on redemption starting in the Semi's. I thought the atmosphere last night was very good despite the lack of a full lower bowl. Some people moved down after period one-Its hard to do much about the suits as they pay the outrageous cash.

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
SwisshockeyAcademy said:
I am counting on redemption starting in the Semi's. I thought the atmosphere last night was very good despite the lack of a full lower bowl. Some people moved down after period one-Its hard to do much about the suits as they pay the outrageous cash.

It really is a problem for the Leafs org (or whoever owns the arena if they don't). On the one hand, they can't alienate the people from whom they get a good chunk of money by not offering them first dibs on the prime seats. On the other hand, their most passionate fans get screwed by this. But they're one of the most profitable teams in the league for a reason...

Jacques Plante

Aug 29, 2004
Montreal--Downtown
Yes Im Peter Ing said:
I'm sorry, what's that? I certainly hope you're not suggesting what I think you may be suggesting. If you are, and if you ever again feel the need to proclaim your stance on why Torontonians are somehow less Canadian, then please, feel free to make your way over here. I'd love to discuss this issue face to face.

I don't think he meant it that way.

It's just Toronto is getting bashed so the towns people are defending it.

monkey_00*

>>>oh, relax my hamiltonian friend. i guess you never saw the CFL commercials about the toronto-hamilton rivalry last year eh?

but back to attendance, i would be utterly shocked if it in fact was not sold out last night. perhaps some seats were reserved and never given out, or people decided not to show up, but i honestly find it very hard to believe that all available seats were not sold. i mean, almost everyone i know would have loved to go to that game (but not at scalper prices). since it was only 33 seats or whatever, that makes me think there's some reason for it other than lack of people. i doubt i could have walked up to the gates at the last minute and just bought ticket last night

but back to air pollution, i visit my friends at school in the Hammer all the time. and in my oppinion it is indeed smellier than Toronto (not to say that Toronto isn't smelly in it's own right)... <<<

==============

arrbez........

Of course you're joking of course..........I don't care how many tickets they're claiming were still available the fact of the matter is it WASN'T a sellout which is pretty PATHETIC for a City like Toronto that likes to bill itself as "World Class Major League Sports Town" which it's not........The numbers down at the SkyDome continue to dwindle for Blue Jays games.....The Tiger-Cats who play in a much smaller City and venue than Toronto Argos do continue to have larger crowds for their CFL games.......and last but not least most folks in Toronto would like to think that their fair City is a HOCKEYTOWN and THAT'S not true either...........It's a "Maple Leafs Town" and that's it!......In my humble opinion they shouldn't even have the Hockey Hall-of-Fame there in Toronto.....a City like Montreal is more deserving or even Edmonton...........

Torontonians should be ashamed of themselves.......just listening to some of their excuses for not selling out the place makes me laugh: "Oh, Canada-Slovakia is not much of a rivalry anyways"......that one I believe was yours.......I hope to God you weren't serious.......

When you compare how things were run back in 1987 and 1991 in Hamilton for those 2-Canada Cups and compare it with how things are being done in Toronto THIS time around I'd say that at the end of the day the City of Hamilton comes out smelling like Roses. :D

Cheers!~

monkey_00

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
Yes Im Peter Ing said:

Less Canadian maybe not but the closest city canada has to the states i must say everyone in the world hates the leafs and the fact that the city of toronto is always put ahead of other cities it is ridiculous when is the last time hockey night in canada didn't have toronto playing been a while we are just sick of how toronto comes before the rest of the cities that could have had better atmospheres

Yes Im Peter Ing

Dec 6, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
monkey_00 said:
>>>oh, relax my hamiltonian friend. i guess you never saw the CFL commercials about the toronto-hamilton rivalry last year eh?

but back to attendance, i would be utterly shocked if it in fact was not sold out last night. perhaps some seats were reserved and never given out, or people decided not to show up, but i honestly find it very hard to believe that all available seats were not sold. i mean, almost everyone i know would have loved to go to that game (but not at scalper prices). since it was only 33 seats or whatever, that makes me think there's some reason for it other than lack of people. i doubt i could have walked up to the gates at the last minute and just bought ticket last night

but back to air pollution, i visit my friends at school in the Hammer all the time. and in my oppinion it is indeed smellier than Toronto (not to say that Toronto isn't smelly in it's own right)... <<<

==============

arrbez........

Of course you're joking of course..........I don't care how many tickets they're claiming were still available the fact of the matter is it WASN'T a sellout which is pretty PATHETIC for a City like Toronto that likes to bill itself as "World Class Major League Sports Town" which it's not........The numbers down at the SkyDome continue to dwindle for Blue Jays games.....The Tiger-Cats who play in a much smaller City and venue than Toronto Argos do continue to have larger crowds for their CFL games.......and last but not least most folks in Toronto would like to think that their fair City is a HOCKEYTOWN and THAT'S not true either...........It's a "Maple Leafs Town" and that's it!......In my humble opinion they shouldn't even have the Hockey Hall-of-Fame there in Toronto.....a City like Montreal is more deserving or even Edmonton...........

Torontonians should be ashamed of themselves.......just listening to some of their excuses for not selling out the place makes me laugh: "Oh, Canada-Slovakia is not much of a rivalry anyways"......that one I believe was yours.......I hope to God you weren't serious.......

When you compare how things were run back in 1987 and 1991 in Hamilton for those 2-Canada Cups and compare it with how things are being done in Toronto THIS time around I'd say that at the end of the day the City of Hamilton comes out smelling like Roses. :D

Cheers!~

monkey_00

Your points are fairily accurate. However, there are a couple of things I'd take exception to.

You're right, Toronto, as far as passion and out-and-out fandom goes, is *not* a world class sports town. As has been mentioned here before - at times by myself - Torontonians, in general, are just far too concerned with the social status attached to a given sporting event, than with the sporting event itself. This can, and has, led to some pretty sketchy records of fair-weather support - case in point: The Blue Jays. However, looking at it from a wider, more city-scope view, Toronto is, without a doubt, up there as a tier-1 North American sports city. It's capacity to support - most of the time financially, sometimes fan-wise - such a wide range of major league franchises, and it's status as a media and financial hub, certainly qualifies it as a big league player (pun intended) in the North American sports-city arena.

Now, onto the second point - Toronto as a Hockey town. I accept the concept of Toronto as a Leafs town before a Hockey town. Indeed, it's something that I would probably argue. What I can't understand, is the idea that Toronto is barely a Hockeytown PERIOD. I'm sorry, but that'd ludicrous. While Toronto's status as a Hockeytown maybe debated in comparison with, say, Montreal, it's status as a Hockeytown - and one of the greatest - is, in *my* humble opinion - undeniable.

Yes, Toronto's record in supporting it's minor league franchises is somewhat weak (although not as weak as many would like to think). But the fact that the city (or at least the GTA) boasts three OHL teams is enough to qualify it as a minor-league Hockey power.

But concentrating on minor Hockey on the attendance side of things is unfair. The MTHL (now the Greater Toronto Hockey League, I guess) has been one of the most important sources of young Hockey talent in the history of the game. It's influence on the NHL and on the game of Hockey is an indication of Toronto's stature as a Hockeytown.

Not only this, but to deny Hockey's importance to Toronto's civic culture is ignoring the obvious. You go out onto the streets of Toronto, and you are bound to find just as many young kids playing roller/street/pond/rink Hockey as you are in Montreal or any rural town in Quebec. The same goes for organized Hockey at any level - Toronto's record points to it's love of the game and the passion it shows towards it.

And while you may wish the Hockey Hall of Fame to be removed from it's traditional home, the truth is this: The fact that the Hall of Fame IS in Toronto is just another testament to Toronto's status as a Hockey town. While you may poke holes in the average Torontonian's love of Hockey (a weak argument in my opinion), you can't just turn a blind eye to the Hockey history that adorns this town. When you arrive in Toronto by train, the very first thing you will see the Air Canada Centre - we'll call it a sneak preview the status Hockey holds in this town; a peak at what is to come once you enter the city. As soon as you exit Union station, you are directed around the corner to the Hockey Hall of Fame. A short jaunt from there, Maple Leaf Gardens - possibly the most important Hockey shrine ever constructed.

Again, you may argue that these things should be removed, but the fact remains that they ARE THERE. And whether you like it or not, the fact that Toronto is their home is just another aspect to why this city is a Hockeytown. You can't ignore them.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
oilerlova said:
Less Canadian maybe not but the closest city canada has to the states i must say everyone in the world hates the leafs and the fact that the city of toronto is always put ahead of other cities it is ridiculous when is the last time hockey night in canada didn't have toronto playing been a while we are just sick of how toronto comes before the rest of the cities that could have had better atmospheres
"Everyone in the World." Excellent post.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
I love how no one ever mentions cities like Winnipeg when it comes to international events. Anyone remember the 1999 World Juniors? Louder than Toronto will ever be. Hell now that we have a new arena downtown (well soon... it's almost done) we're getting the World Hockey Championships. Winnipeg can blow away any canadian city when it comes to supporting their country at the national winter sport. We don't have classless idiots that boo other countries' national athems like some cities in this country :thumbd:

As for the World Cup posse, try bringing games out to the western part of Canada, oh and the central. yeah thanks.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I've had it with these "we're better fans than you are threads". We're on these boards because we're all great fans. Enjoy the games and have fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad