Elimination World Cup Game in Toronto -- Not a Sellout?

Status
Not open for further replies.

monkey_00*

Thanks for the link to that article........

Most of those fans are Leafs season's tickets holders and those guys have a phobia called; "FEAR OF SUCCESS"...........they don't know how they would be able to handle themselves if one of their teams actually went all the way and WON the whole thing.............

I noticed quite a few empty seats in the stands tonight there as well........ALOT more than the 33 they were claiming too.

Cheers!~

monkey_00

BAuldie

Apr 5, 2004
Nanaimo, B.C.
tom_servo said:

Toronto is a horrible choice to host the majority of these games. The seats are always empty for the first 5 minutes of each period in the expensive areas and it never has the atmosphere of the other Canadian rinks. Its the quietest of the 6.

I'd love to see how loud Edmonton could get with a Team Canada World Cup game but playing all but 2 in Toronto is a joke.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
monkey_00 said:
Thanks for the link to that article........

Most of those fans are Leafs season's tickets holders and those guys have a phobia called; "FEAR OF SUCCESS"...........they don't know how they would be able to handle themselves if one of their teams actually went all the way and WON the whole thing.............

I noticed quite a few empty seats in the stands tonight there as well........ALOT more than the 33 they were claiming too.

Cheers!~

monkey_00

what's that smell? oh, it's YOU Hamilton...

great rivalry eh? :p:

The Rage

Alexander the Great said:
The seats are pretty expensive and with that along with Canada facing Slovakia which isn't exactly a marquee match up I can't blame people

The first point is true, but the second is absurd. This is a huge game. A loss and you're out. A game like this would generate huge interest in Edmonton or Calgary (and many other Canadian cities).

Feb 24, 2004
The building was sold out guys. People didn't choose to come, or whatever, but 33 seats are all standing-room only. Trust me, Toronto has never not sold out any important game in 50 years. Only one or two games per year, ask fellow leafs fans, are not sold out at game time. Doesn't mean people don't buy, just that they don't go.

Plus, tickets are very expensive, so Toronto is a good place to make money. In the other 5 canadian cities, the prices of tickets to leafs games/other hockey games, are almost tripled. Thus the reason for money.

Edmonton? Calgary? Vancouver? Ottawa? These places aren't that loud when their teams are having losing seasons. Especially Edmonton. I find it to be the most overrated atmosphere in hockey. Probably better than any team in the States, and Vancouver also, but still overrated.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
If I remember correct, during the World Cup quarterfinal match between Canada and Germany in Montreal back '96 there were only about 12,000 at the game.

Anyways, I expect the rest of the games to be sold out. Even in St.Paul.

McThome

Aug 12, 2003
Edmonton
www.geocities.com
leafs4thecup said:
Edmonton? Calgary? Vancouver? Ottawa? These places aren't that loud when their teams are having losing seasons. Especially Edmonton. I find it to be the most overrated atmosphere in hockey. Probably better than any team in the States, and Vancouver also, but still overrated.

Are you kidding me? There is a reason that even our biggest rivals right now (Stars) have players that admit Edmonton has the loudest fans. We went through a slump in the early 90's, but that's because of Pocklington. Would you want to support some a$$ owner who just sold of some of the greatest names in hockey history and replaced them with a last place team?! Everybody was rather bitter that our owner sold players because he was losing money else where and in turn ended up costing the city atleast 3-4 more cups in the next 5 years.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
leafs4thecup said:
The building was sold out guys. People didn't choose to come, or whatever, but 33 seats are all standing-room only. Trust me, Toronto has never not sold out any important game in 50 years. Only one or two games per year, ask fellow leafs fans, are not sold out at game time. Doesn't mean people don't buy, just that they don't go.

Plus, tickets are very expensive, so Toronto is a good place to make money. In the other 5 canadian cities, the prices of tickets to leafs games/other hockey games, are almost tripled. Thus the reason for money.

i hope u are kidding seriously, u are saying edmonton is not loud when u toronto fans got showed up by the montreal fans give me a break, now i live in vancouver so i only saw one home game and trust me it was loud i would say if u were to host games Edmonton Montreal and Calgary would be the choices, but the money issue is a good point and an important factor

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
thome_26 said:
Are you kidding me? There is a reason that even our biggest rivals right now (Stars) have players that admit Edmonton has the loudest fans. We went through a slump in the early 90's, but that's because of Pocklington. Would you want to support some a$$ owner who just sold of some of the greatest names in hockey history and replaced them with a last place team?! Everybody was rather bitter that our owner sold players because he was losing money else where and in turn ended up costing the city atleast 3-4 more cups in the next 5 years.

damn u just beat me to the punch i was typing and then urs came up o well still couldn't agree more

monkey_00*

>>>what's that smell? oh, it's YOU Hamilton...

great rivalry eh? <<<
===============

arrbez..........

Smells just as bad in Toronto as it does in here in Hamilton and oftentimes it's even worse in Toronto........next time you make the drive into Toronto roll down your car windows and take a deep breath.........and do you know what the Indian name for Toronto is?........"The Big Smoke"..........heh heh heh...........Gotta hand it to those Indians for coming up with a name like that for Toronto waaaaay back then..........they were well ahead of their time....................

Next time stick to the topic at hand like the attendance figures that we were talking about.......at the time of hosting the Canada Cups back in 1987 and 1991 Hamilton set attendance records for the Canada Cup tournament which this tourney is also just under a different title that's all..........What's Toronto's excuse for it NOT having the sellout last night?

Cheers!~

monkey_00

Quantas

Feb 4, 2004
Ottawa
oilerlova said:
i hope u are kidding seriously, u are saying edmonton is not loud when u toronto fans got showed up by the montreal fans give me a break, now i live in vancouver so i only saw one home game and trust me it was loud i would say if u were to host games Edmonton Montreal and Calgary would be the choices, but the money issue is a good point and an important factor
Except, doesn't Montreal have a larger capacity? 21000+ compared to Toronto's 19000-20000 seat capacity? Wouldn't that translate into more money if they played more games in Montreal?

I think they should definitely rethink their strategy of playing the majority of games in T.O. Have the final there if you must, but spread the wealth around to the other Canadian cities.

hossua34

Mutt
Apr 7, 2003
Irvine, CA
leafs4thecup said:

Go to a game in Minnesota, Dallas, San Jose, Detroit, etc. They all compare to the Canadian cities you listed.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Money and marketing aside, though the bottom line is always what really matters, the intensity and crowd just seemed so much more ratcheted up in Montreal. Though watching on television doesn't always tell the whole story.

I did hear a lot of people complaining about the crowd in Minnesota, but honestly it didn't seem that much better in Toronto. Though as someone mentioned, I think, the discrepencies in general crowd noise may have much to do with the construction of the stadiums. But atmosphere for these type of international event, especially, goes a long way.

And as a disclaimer, since so many people seem to get bent out of shape in both camps, that wasn't a shot at Canadians, the Canadian lifestyle, Canadian currency or Canadian fan support.

It's a little sad that I felt the need to include that.

Schenn02

Dec 7, 2003
abroad
Visit site
WHO CARES? Really I don't! I'm not going to pay a couple hundred dollars for a hockey ticket...I saw empty seats but those are probably the corportate losers who don't give a damn about hockey anyway. When the first goal was scored (actual goal, not one waved off), I saw one of those suits talking on their cell phone, no attention to the game jeez. What can I do? Even if you search ticketmaster for tickets and even enter for a single ticket you can't find a seat.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
monkey_00 said:
>>>what's that smell? oh, it's YOU Hamilton...

great rivalry eh? <<<
===============

arrbez..........

Smells just as bad in Toronto as it does in here in Hamilton and oftentimes it's even worse in Toronto........next time you make the drive into Toronto roll down your car windows and take a deep breath.........and do you know what the Indian name for Toronto is?........"The Big Smoke"..........heh heh heh...........Gotta hand it to those Indians for coming up with a name like that for Toronto waaaaay back then..........they were well ahead of their time....................

Next time stick to the topic at hand like the attendance figures that we were talking about.......at the time of hosting the Canada Cups back in 1987 and 1991 Hamilton set attendance records for the Canada Cup tournament which this tourney is also just under a different title that's all..........What's Toronto's excuse for it NOT having the sellout last night?

Cheers!~

monkey_00

oh, relax my hamiltonian friend. i guess you never saw the CFL commercials about the toronto-hamilton rivalry last year eh?

but back to attendance, i would be utterly shocked if it in fact was not sold out last night. perhaps some seats were reserved and never given out, or people decided not to show up, but i honestly find it very hard to believe that all available seats were not sold. i mean, almost everyone i know would have loved to go to that game (but not at scalper prices). since it was only 33 seats or whatever, that makes me think there's some reason for it other than lack of people. i doubt i could have walked up to the gates at the last minute and just bought ticket last night

but back to air pollution, i visit my friends at school in the Hammer all the time. and in my oppinion it is indeed smellier than Toronto (not to say that Toronto isn't smelly in it's own right)... ;)

Johnny

Mar 11, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
BeLeafer87 said:
What can I do? Even if you search ticketmaster for tickets and even enter for a single ticket you can't find a seat.

Exactly, these tickets were all sold a while ago, I couldn't get anything on ticket master, but was able to get lucky on ebay... The tickets are bought by corporations who give them away to clients or whomever, who may or may not decide to put them to the greatest use... The average hockey fan in the city had very little chance at these tickets... It's a shame MLSE caters to the corporation's and season ticket holders... I understand why they do it, but for international hockey it would be nice if they opened it all up to the general public giving everyone a fair shot... But considering MLSE will cater to the corporations Toronto probably isn't the best place to hold this kind of event, but those who profit from it, and have profit in mind may say differently.

I was at the game last night, had a blast in the upper bowl where more of the rowdy fans in attendace could be found... Shame all those in the upper bowl couldn't replace those corporate suits up front, but oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad