Elias Pettersson

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
I am hoping to get some insight from people who have seen Pettersson in action.

I am a Dallas Stars fan (very excited about our #3 pick in the draft), and Petterrson looks VERY good in the highlights that I have seen, but not having watched him play in full games, and being unsure of the level of competition he faces, I am unsure how he stacks up against guys in leagues that are easier to view for us in NA like Hischier, Glass, Suzuki, etc.

How does he stack up against Rasmus Asplund and Jonathan Dahlin in their draft years?

Do you think he's top-3 material in this year's draft?

Any weaknesses in his game?

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Hey there, I'm an avid prospect watcher and like to scout out at least the top 90 every draft. I watch about 20+ games for the top 15 players and try to watch at least 5 for the rest. Pettersson is a very good talent. I can see him developing into a top line center at the NHL level easily if coached properly. He has a really nice skill set to develop. Looks to be a great two way player with great hands and vision on the ice. Much like Swedish Anaheim Duck Rickard Rakell, he can play either center, or wing, although I think he shows much more potential as a playmaking two way center.

As for the Stars pick, I don't think he is going to be much of a consideration there. I assume they will be looking at Miro Heiskanen for defense or Glass/Vilardi/Mitts for forward. I do however think he's a sleeper and can be a really good NHL player in his future. Detroit has expressed really strong interest in him, and I think they'll take him at 9.

As far as weaknesses go, he just needs to put on weight and bulk up like most young players do. He is 160 lbs which isn't horrible, but he does need to gain some muscle as he gets out-bodied a bit by the bigger players.

Hope you can use this info well :)

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Hey there, I'm an avid prospect watcher and like to scout out at least the top 90 every draft. I watch about 20+ games for the top 15 players and try to watch at least 5 for the rest. Pettersson is a very good talent. I can see him developing into a top line center at the NHL level easily if coached properly. He has a really nice skill set to develop. Looks to be a great two way player with great hands and vision on the ice. Much like Swedish Anaheim Duck Rickard Rakell, he can play either center, or wing, although I think he shows much more potential as a playmaking two way center.

As for the Stars pick, I don't think he is going to be much of a consideration there. I assume they will be looking at Miro Heiskanen for defense or Glass/Vilardi/Mitts for forward. I do however think he's a sleeper and can be a really good NHL player in his future. Detroit has expressed really strong interest in him, and I think they'll take him at 9.

As far as weaknesses go, he just needs to put on weight and bulk up like most young players do. He is 160 lbs which isn't horrible, but he does need to gain some muscle as he gets out-bodied a bit by the bigger players.

Hope you can use this info well :)

Thank you for the insight! Much appreciated.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
He is a bigger talent than Asplund and Dahlen for sure. He is probably the most promising forward comming from sweden in recent years after W Nylander. As everyone knows he is little weak so he need to build up to handle the more physical parts, at this point he is not ready for NHL, it will probably take like 2-3 years.

Talentwise he is absolutly up there with Hischer and Patrick, but they come across as more safe picks. I would also guess Dallas do not pick him that early. But I see him as the best swede in this draft.

He reminds me far more of RNH than of Rakell in playstyle.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Do you guys know what Växjö's center depth looks like for next season? Is Pettersson likely to continue mostly on the wing or move to center?

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Do you guys know what Växjö's center depth looks like for next season? Is Pettersson likely to continue mostly on the wing or move to center?

The biggest reason why I wanted him to stay in Allsvenskan is that he would get to play big minutes at center there. He's very likely going to be used on the wing in Växjö.

rickardr

Oct 10, 2016
Sweden
Same as Huffman. But they have the same type of play so ill bet he will get a shot att C, but he needs more muscle tho.

Spender

Feb 16, 2013
Växjö

Too early to say at this point, lots of roster changes to be made during the off-season. I personally would have liked to see him with his brother, but he's on his way to Nashville next season.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
The biggest reason why I wanted him to stay in Allsvenskan is that he would get to play big minutes at center there. He's very likely going to be used on the wing in Växjö.
Thanks, that's what I was thinking too. Lets hope he gets an opportunity to play some center, it would probably be a good boost for his development.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
He is a bigger talent than Asplund and Dahlen for sure. He is probably the most promising forward comming from sweden in recent years after W Nylander. As everyone knows he is little weak so he need to build up to handle the more physical parts, at this point he is not ready for NHL, it will probably take like 2-3 years.

Talentwise he is absolutly up there with Hischer and Patrick, but they come across as more safe picks. I would also guess Dallas do not pick him that early. But I see him as the best swede in this draft.

He reminds me far more of RNH than of Rakell in playstyle.

How does he compare to William Nylander?

Mrpm

Jan 4, 2013
I see Pettersson as a bigger prospect/star than Nylander.

People compare him with Peter Forsberg.
Well, that tells nothing really. People, and especially media from sweden, compares EVERY hyped prospect from Sweden with Peter. Last season it was Wernblom i think.

Reasoned Opinion

May 21, 2009
Logic Land
I see Pettersson as a bigger prospect/star than Nylander.

People compare him with Peter Forsberg.
The year Pettersson has just put is historic for a U-20 in SEL. He passed Forsberg and now Nilsson. If redrafting likely first overall last year. He is an elite offensive talent and probably as good as anyone at scoring who isn't currently in the NHL. He has a much better upside than Nylander.

Reactions: skipjack

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
I dont think he is as good as Forsberg or ever will be. But it is ok if i am wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->