Prospect Info: Elias Pettersson | Pt. IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
its kind of unreal to both get the guy i really wanted and have him be so good. i still cant really process everything. i feel like in 999/1000 other realities, we have rasmussen or tippett right now, or elias contracts a disease known only as "constantly being on fire"

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Why? Most people were happy with the Pettersson pick. That's the difference.

Not everyone was. I was happy with the pick but also wanted Vilardi.

This doesn't absolve those other misses. It's just a good pick (obviously on an absolute basis), especially given that the guy that ranked highest in the polls here didn't even make it onto the WJC team in his d+1 year.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
Personally, I didn't really mind. I wanted a skilled player in Mittlestadt that can potentially be a #1 center.

Hadn't watched much of Pterrsersson and I remember what I watched he didn't "dominate", looks like I just hugely underestimated the league he was playing in.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
I'm just itching to see how he performs on small ice. Not terribly interested in the activities of the parent club right now, for obvious reasons. Just gimme the WJCs already

113d9ccfc4b02adf1161cda235e4b7cd.png

ayyyy what's up

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Not everyone was. I was happy with the pick but also wanted Vilardi.

This doesn't absolve those other misses. It's just a good pick (obviously on an absolute basis), especially given that the guy that ranked highest in the polls here didn't even make it onto the WJC team in his d+1 year.

The 2017 draft was all over the place though. Some people wanted glass. Some people wanted Vilardi. Some wanted Pettersson. Still. More wanted Makar, Mittelstadt and even others. It was as wide open as any recent draft has been.

It's not like 2016 when people were pretty much split between Tkachuk and Dubois, and they took Juolevi*, or 2014 when people were split between Nylander and Ehlers, and they took Virtanen.

Not much comparable at all.

* Yes, I know.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
The 2017 draft was all over the place though. Some people wanted glass. Some people wanted Vilardi. Some wanted Pettersson. Still. More wanted Makar, Mittelstadt and even others. It was as wide open as any recent draft has been.

It's not like 2016 when people were pretty much split between Tkachuk and Dubois, and they took Juolevi*, or 2014 when people were split between Nylander and Ehlers, and they took Virtanen.

* Yes, I know.

2015 was all over the map too, but it was still worth tracking Konecny who was by a slight amount the most preferred at the time, relative to Boeser. Think Boeser was actually the third most preferred after Konecny and Merkley. But that was not a consensus of any sort.

I'll concede that the comparison does fall short because it's not like they went against the grain to make an off the board selection that none of us saw, but I'm not touting management in any way. It's just further validation that the next guy isn't playing well, at least to the extent that he couldn't crack a mediocre WJC roster. Just as it would've put a damper on Pettersson as a pick, if despite his strong season Glass or Mittlestadt was on pace for 60 points in the NHL.

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Glass/ vilardi followed by mitt were the popular choices among fans here and over at canucks.com. Pettersson wasn’t top 3.

It just goes to show we truly know nothing about drafting. Sure tell the world you chose to ehlers over virtanen, at the end of the day not surprised glass got cut.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
2015 was all over the map too, but it was still worth tracking Konecny who was by a slight amount the most preferred at the time, relative to Boeser. Think Boeser was actually the third most preferred after Konecny and Merkley. But that was not a consensus of any sort.

I'll concede that the comparison does fall short because it's not like they went against the grain to make an off the board selection that none of us saw, but I'm not touting management in any way. It's just further validation that the next guy isn't playing well, at least to the extent that he couldn't crack a mediocre WJC roster. Just as it would've put a damper on Pettersson as a pick, if despite his strong season Glass or Mittlestadt was on pace for 60 points in the NHL.

Fair enough.

I didn't really follow the 2015 draft so not sure. It wasn't a top 10 pick so not really the same.

There was like one dude who hated Pettersson and bashed him frequently.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Pettersson was misjudged, he had 41p in allsvenskan last year as D-1 unheard of. I have no idea why he fell to 5.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Pettersson was misjudged, he had 41p in allsvenskan last year as D-1 unheard of. I have no idea why he fell to 5.
Part of it was likely overstating the quality gap between SHL and Allsvenskan, and I think there was some question over how much of Pettersson's success was attributable to Dahlén and vice versa. It's really been a revelation to be able to see them apart.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
If Pettersson was drafted by the Leafs we would have part 12 on the prospects board and it would be a legit discussion on if he would actually rival Gretzky.

I’m still just shocked we managed to draft possibly the best (with a strong case for currently second best or best right now, depending on your critique) player in a draft. That hasn’t happened since 1999.

Reactions: 2011 still hurts

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010

* Yes, I know.
2014 was not that way posters had 4 guys for that spot if not more 2016 was though. In 2017 posters had no idea who to pick if Petterson was doing poorly and Glass was doing well there would be a Tkachuk OJ level uproar. Now that Petterson is doing well it was an obvious easy choice that any gm would have made.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Part of it was likely overstating the quality gap between SHL and Allsvenskan, and I think there was some question over how much of Pettersson's success was attributable to Dahlén and vice versa. It's really been a revelation to be able to see them apart.
contrary to belief, Pettersson did not play that much with dahlen last year.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
2014 was not that way posters had 4 guys for that spot if not more 2016 was though. In 2017 posters had no idea who to pick if Petterson was doing poorly and Glass was doing well there would be a Tkachuk OJ level uproar. Now that Petterson is doing well it was an obvious easy choice that any gm would have made.

I disagree. Petterson was a great pick partially because it was sooo wide open. This is shown just by looking here at how many people had so many different guys as their favorite. I wanted Mittlestadt, by was more than ok with this pick. I have been ecstatic with how it has turned out.

The only reason why people question if the pick was JB's quotes from Linden that state otherwise. Blame him for that.

As for other drafts each one is a bit different. The Virtanen pick was bad because of information about the shoulder injury, on top of him being clearly not one of the two guys everybody here wanted. There may have been a "top 4" but it is a pretty big gap. Joulevi... people were complaining about if we picked him before we picked him. We all probably hope they all turn out, but when people from a message board have a better record it is a bit sad.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Petterson was not on the radar/considered by most fans at the time of the draft (the consensus tended to be Glass/Vilardi/Mittelstadt), but when Pettersson was picked, it was pretty well received. Once the pick was made and we started finding out about and discussing Pettersson, most fans acknowledged that it was a potentially great and bold pick by management, or at the very least were intrigued by the gamble, calling it high risk, high reward. Glass was always considered the safe pick.

Full value to Benning's group for making this pick-- most of us didn't catch it, but this is not a case where Petterson is now proving haters wrong and making everyone eat crow, requiring Glass vs. Pettersson to be a big thing.

Last year was a case where Juolevi was always on the radar but was disliked and dreaded as a possible pick (although I wasn't one of those people), especially compared to more obvious guys like Tkachuk and Dubois, and Virtanen was always on the radar as well, and was a pick that everyone was already in resignation about Benning probably being set on before the draft even started, but everyone acknowledged the glaring Hockey IQ issues, and the consensus was generally Nylander, Ehlers, or Ritchie instead.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2011 still hurts

Ryan Miller*

Jan 13, 2017
Yeah, the Pettersson draft pick was hilarious in that "dum-dum" Benning pretty much outwitted the entire Internet fanbase and Vancouver hockey media by making it appear like he would be drafting Cody Glass, and barely mentioning Pettersson. Smart guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad