Elder Scrolls VI Announced

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Anyone else get the feeling this was a "oops didn't expect the uproar from the Fallout76 announcement, so we quickly made this 30 sec teaser to show you that TES6 is coming, years from now"...?
Because I did. :D

It's likely 3-4, maybe 5 years away. In the meantime, I dabble in ESO, which - after a poor launch - became an absolutely fantastic MMO, with a distinct TES feel to it.

ESO's main problem can't be fixed. How are you going to have an Elder Scrolls game, a series that relies heavily on character customization, lock your characters into 3/4 preset classes?

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Pretty sure it’s Hammerfell, pretty sure it’s a late 2020 release. Maybe 2021.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I loved Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim. Loved the recent generation of Fallout games. They all have flaws, but by and large I've enjoyed them all.

I'll be pretty disappointed if they don't drastically improve the combat though. Especially if its years out. Time to move on from the janky weightless fighting mechanics. Basically I hope they take a page out of Horizon Zero Dawn's book and create an engaging combat system to go along with their huge open world. Problem with Horizon Zero Dawn was the world felt largely empty, something that Elder Scrolls is much better at avoiding.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I think when Howard said a new generation of games I think he meant it's just a dawning of a new style of games from them. Fallout 76(online) and he said Starfield is a single player but I could see them adding a multiplayer to it if 76 is successful enough. I mean it is about space and I would imagine exploring(hopefully).

And then I'm sure they'll want to take it even further with ES6, hopefully I'm wrong and they'll make a couple offline games for every online game they make.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I think when Howard said a new generation of games I think he meant it's just a dawning of a new style of games from them. Fallout 76(online) and he said Starfield is a single player but I could see them adding a multiplayer to it if 76 is successful enough. I mean it is about space and I would imagine exploring(hopefully).

And then I'm sure they'll want to take it even further with ES6, hopefully I'm wrong and they'll make a couple offline games for every online game they make.

ES6 won't have multiplayer. At least not to the extent of like, revolving around multiplayer. I could maybe see some form of co-op mode. But ESO is the online ES game for people who want that. The main series games will always be single player.

What I could see is Fallout 76 becoming ESO but for the Fallout universe. Where they expand it and add to it while still keeping the main series games alive.

As for Starfield multiplayer, it's too soon to tell.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

He specifically labeled Starfield as single player.

This, Starfield, and whenever Fallout 5 appears will still be their single player tent poles.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

ES6 is only in pre-production. So it will launch on the new generation of consoles coming in 2020. You can bet that Bethesda will want to double-dip and will try their hardest to get all of these big games to run on the PS4/XB1 install base.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol

That's how I interpreted it. Almost nobody announces games for a console that isn't even announced yet (much less one that has been denied as coming anytime soon), and Bethesda definitely isn't the exception. It's a next generation of Bethesda games, not necessarily games on next generation consoles. I don't think it means their future games are going to be multiplayer, but if 76 is successful I could see limited coop in TES:VI and Starfield a la coop in GTA San Andreas (if anyone remembers that).

Bethesda saying pre-production doesn't mean they haven't started working on it in earnest. It only means that production isn't in full-swing yet.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Bethesda saying pre-production doesn't mean they haven't started working on it in earnest. It only means that production isn't in full-swing yet.

I would liken it to filmmaking. In filmmaking, production pretty much means filming and pre-production is all of the stuff that goes on beforehand, like determining what the film will look like, how they'll achieve it and designing and building the sets and costumes. Bethesda is no doubt currently coming up with what the game will be and look like and, possibly, building the new, next-gen engine that it'll run on. They can't really start production until they have those things. Once they do and actually start writing game-specific code and have an alpha build of the game, they'll be in the production phase, IMO. Right now, ES6 probably doesn't exist as a game because they're not at that stage yet.

Last edited:

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
That's how I interpreted it. Almost nobody announces games for a console that isn't even announced yet (much less one that has been denied as coming anytime soon), and Bethesda definitely isn't the exception. It's a next generation of Bethesda games, not necessarily games on next generation consoles. I don't think it means their future games are going to be multiplayer, but if 76 is successful I could see limited coop in TES:VI and Starfield a la coop in GTA San Andreas (if anyone remembers that).

I thought I was the only person who remembered GTA co-op... lol my best friend and I had some great times in co-op rampage missions...

Anyway, the ES6 announcement didn't do much for me. They could have just walked on stage and said "we're making another Elder Scrolls" and exited stage left and it would have been the exact same thing for me. lol

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
I think multiple provinces is the way to go at this point if the game is years away. I know ppl are saying Hammerfell, but the trailer also shows lots of non-desert environment, so possibly Hammerfell/High Rock combo makes sense.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I think multiple provinces is the way to go at this point if the game is years away. I know ppl are saying Hammerfell, but the trailer also shows lots of non-desert environment, so possibly Hammerfell/High Rock combo makes sense.
I was thinking High Rock initially, and it seems to fit from what's been shown so far, like you said maybe Hammerfell/High Rock combo.

I'd love to go to Blackmarsh, but that doesn't appear to be in the cards for this one :\

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

You'd think one of the 17637892 game reporters at E3 would think to ask someone at Bethesda if its a current or next gen game, if even just to get a non-answer

Reactions: Bruce Joker

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
You'd think one of the 17637892 game reporters at E3 would think to ask someone at Bethesda if its a current or next gen game, if even just to get a non-answer

Gamespot did.

This might be useful:

Speaking to GameSpot at E3 2018, Howard said The Elder Scrolls VI is only in the "very early" stages of development, while Starfield is further along and will likely launch before the new Elder Scrolls game.

"It's in the concept and design [phase]," Howard said. Perhaps more intriguingly, Howard said he knows the release date of The Elder Scrolls VI--but he's not going to tell you. "I do. I would be foolish to say it," he said.

"We've obviously taken our time with [The Elder Scrolls 6], as opposed to jumping right into it," he said. "We know what we want it to be, and that's gonna take time, technology, other things that we need to build to to really pull it off. And that's what that franchise deserves."

Howard suggested that the ideas and ambition Bethesda has for The Elder Scrolls 6 might not be possible on current-generation hardware. He said in a Gameslice interview that Bethesda is "getting closer" to the technology needed to run the game, which suggests that the PS4 and Xbox One are not capable enough to run the game as Bethesda wants.

E3 2018: Elder Scrolls 6 Boss Knows The Game's Release Date, But He Won't Tell You

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
This guy went ridiculously in depth analyzing the trailer. Basically confirms that we're seeing Hammerfell, and specifically the Iliac Bay region near the border with High Rock.

Of course, there's another video out there claiming to debunk this theory.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I'm almost positive that if Elder Scrolls 6 was just an updated Skyrim with a bit better graphics (like what Fallout 4 was to 3/NV), people would lose their minds in frustration.

It's going to be trying something new. For sure. Maybe Fallout 76 is an experiment to help see which direction to take ES6.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I really like the paintings of Hammerfell that are shown in the above video, starting at 2:42. It's very deserty, but with oases and lots of rock features (i.e. not flat desert). Just with that, alone, the game will look very different from Skyrim and, really, every ES game made so far.

Bethesda likely won't do it, but I'd love for them to include some survival mechanics, like food and water consumption and sun exposure or sleep quality, a bit like Kingdom Come: Deliverance did. It would make stumbling upon oases in the desert mean something if you're in need of water and shade/rest.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rodgerwilco

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I really like the paintings of Hammerfell that are shown in the above video, starting at 2:42. It's very deserty, but with oases and lots of rock features (i.e. not flat desert). Just with that, alone, the game will look very different from Skyrim and, really, every ES game made so far.

Bethesda likely won't do it, but I'd love for them to include some survival mechanics, like food and water consumption and sun exposure or sleep quality, a bit like Kingdom Come: Deliverance did. It would make stumbling upon oases in the desert mean something if you're in need of water and shade/rest.

I'm assuming you play Skyrim with the Frostfall mod?

I'm not against the idea myself but it's probably an area that's best to avoid keeping the difficult more vanilla flavour, but leaving it wide open for mods to fine tune the game experience. Hopefully designing the world so such things can slide into space smoothly, like Frostfall does with Skyrim.

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California

I hope not. Survival mode in Fallout 4 was really bad, especially when compared to the survival mods users made for Morrowind through Skyrim. I liked Hardcore mode in New Vegas, but that is not applicable since I give Obsidian credit for that. Leave things open for modders to do survival right since Bethseda will likely do stupid things like disable saving and the console, which is ridiculous considering how buggy BethRPGs are.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I hope not. Survival mode in Fallout 4 was really bad, especially when compared to the survival mods users made for Morrowind through Skyrim. I liked Hardcore mode in New Vegas, but that is not applicable since I give Obsidian credit for that. Leave things open for modders to do survival right since Bethseda will likely do stupid things like disable saving and the console, which is ridiculous considering how buggy BethRPGs are.

Hardcore mode wasn't really any harder than regular game play. You could carry less things because ammo weighed more, and you needed to eat/drink and heal more carefully. Survival mode, while extremely annoying because of lack of auto saves, was the mechanically superior mode, and it was much much harder than hardcore. I don't really know why survival mode is bad besides auto saves and lack of fast travel.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
I really enjoyed Skyrim, and I'll pick this up for sure... but it'd be nice to see Bethesda try something new. Elder Scrolls/Fallout on repeat is getting a bit stale. Fallout especially.

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California
Hardcore mode wasn't really any harder than regular game play. You could carry less things because ammo weighed more, and you needed to eat/drink and heal more carefully. Survival mode, while extremely annoying because of lack of auto saves, was the mechanically superior mode, and it was much much harder than hardcore. I don't really know why survival mode is bad besides auto saves and lack of fast travel.

The lack of console and save restrictions is really bad in a BethRPG because of bugs in the game, this is kind of obvious why this is an important detail. I also did not like sleeping limits on beds, that does not make sense and complete broke immersion for me. I also did not like the food system compared to how food was done in NV, in Fallout 4 it feels like it is built strictly around the cost of food items where as in NV it felt more organic as the value of food items did not directly line up with their use and had more to do with in game lore. I think ultimately comes down to I want survival to be immersive rather than just something to make the game mechanically harder. I don't mind if they make the game harder like Frostfall and Realistic Needs and Diseases in Skyrim, but they also made the game more immersive and paid respect to lore rather than harder for the sake of making things harder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->