Value of: Elder@50% + Virtanen

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
I was wondering what the cost would be for the package?

From the Habs perspective it would have to be money in and money out.

Picks +the likes of Armia + Lehkonen + Kulak(these players just to make it work cap wise), whatever it would take to make a package for them.

Not saying that is the package but wondering what the combo of players would need to be to make it work?

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I’ll take Edler, but I don’t want Virtanen. The PK sucks and all he does is take stupid penalties.

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
I’ll take Edler, but I don’t want Virtanen. The PK sucks and all he does is take stupid penalties.
Sounds good. So I’m wondering if the Habs could get Edler at 50%. At 3mill sending Lehkonen which would keep the cap close along with picks would make it very easy money in and money out and get a top 4 man who can move the puck.

NoRaise4Brackett

But Brackett!!!
Mar 16, 2011
Lurking the Boards
Retaining and taking back a salary (as long as it's only for the remainder of this season) is totally do-able. We'd probably ask at minimum a 2nd and 3rd?

But ya, Edler wouldn't waive

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
Edler will not waive. He's made it clear he doesn't want to play outside of Vancouver.
Well he is up there in age and this year seems like it might not be Vancouvers. He might be open to it now. I remember he wanted to stay 2 years ago I believe. He might be open to competing for the cup as he is close to the end of his career.

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
Retaining and taking back a salary (as long as it's only for the remainder of this season) is totally do-able. We'd probably ask at minimum a 2nd and 3rd?

But ya, Edler wouldn't waive
Lehkonen + 2nd + 3rd for Edler@50 I would do for sure. Instead of the 3rd if the Nucks wanted Mete I would be open to that as well.

Reactions: Ottobot

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
Well he is up there in age and this year seems like it might not be Vancouvers. He might be open to it now. I remember he wanted to stay 2 years ago I believe. He might be open to competing for the cup as he is close to the end of his career.

He isn't chasing a cup though. It wouldn't be the first time he's been asked to waive and refused. He's even said that he won't waive with the intention of re-signing with Vancouver in the offseason. We'd love to get some assets for him, but unfortunately it won't happen.

Reactions: RebuildinVan

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Edler has a NMC. He’s expressed staying in Vancouver for his career. Like the Sedin’s he retires a Canuck.

Even on the off chance he’d agree to waive he’d probably only do so for a top contender of which all Canadian clubs are not.

Reactions: Cogburn

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I'll take a third for Virtanen.

Edler's slowing down, but he's still a top four D, so I'd say between a 1st and a second. Retention and/or cap dumps are possible, but would drive the price up. It's a moot point since he won't waive his NMC though, he's a Canuck for life.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Edler is old school, got to respect he refuses to waive no matter how many time they asked him to. Id love to see this more. Respect and loyalty! Though the respect of the fanbase goes away pretty fast if you dont back it up on ice. At that point also your loyalty means nothing. Tough world.

Will be interesting to see if Canucks will offer him the clause again this off-season, and will he sign with them without it? Maybe theyll leverage the NMC and require Edler to take (much) less money to have the clause?

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Edler is old school, got to respect he refuses to waive no matter how many time they asked him to. Id love to see this more. Respect and loyalty! Though the respect of the fanbase goes away pretty fast if you dont back it up on ice. At that point also your loyalty means nothing. Tough world.

Will be interesting to see if Canucks will offer him the clause again this off-season, and will he sign with them without it? Maybe theyll leverage the NMC and require Edler to take (much) less money to have the clause?
Meh that or he just moves to another team without giving Vancouver assets, the guy is getting old and even tho he is a step slower is a top four dman ,I wouldn't make him mad to save much more cash . The guy has principles but if you try to burn him enough I think he would just leave

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad