Eklund: Weighted Draft Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
Boltsfan2029 said:
Acquired via trade from San Jose which acquired it via trade from the Panthers. We've never won the lottery or "won" a first overall pick.

OK, then I'm sure Tampa would have 1 ball then.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
as a Leaf fan, this whole situation irks me

in the "how will your team do next year" threads, all I hear from opposing fans is how terrible the Leafs are going to be, how they'll have to buy everyone out, how their 3rd and 4th lines will be made up of AHL'ers, etc

and yet everyone freaks out at the thought of this team in a supposed crisis getting a high pick

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
arrbez said:
as a Leaf fan, this whole situation irks me

in the "how will your team do next year" threads, all I hear from opposing fans is how terrible the Leafs are going to be, how they'll have to buy everyone out, how their 3rd and 4th lines will be made up of AHL'ers, etc

and yet everyone freaks out at the thought of this team in a supposed crisis getting a high pick

So whos to blame for the situation that the leafs are going into? Bettman? please!! The Leafs and others are to blame for the lockout in the first place and were warned at least 2 years ago and chose not to listen. Sucks yes maybe for the fans,but now you may finally see what it was like to be a fan of a rebuilding team that has to use GM skills for success instead of buying teams to compete.

A little evil part of me wants teams like the Leafs,Detroit..etc to miss the playoffs for 7 straight years so i can churp back at their fans :razz:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
ryanlambert said:
# of balls per team under this system...

3: NY Rangers, Columbus

2: Chicago, Minnesota, Calgary, Nashville

1: Philadelphia, New Jersey, Carolina, Florida, Detroit, St. Louis, Colorado, Boston, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Buffalo, Vancouver, Edmonton, San Jose, Dallas, Los Angeles, Anaheim, Phoenix, Atlanta

0: Washington, Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh, NY Islanders
Shouldn't it be factored in that the Penguins traded for the 1st overall pick?

If yes, then Florida would have 0 and the Penguins would have 1.

MontrealCruiser_83*

T@T said:
So whos to blame for the situation that the leafs are going into? Bettman? please!! The Leafs and others are to blame for the lockout in the first place and were warned at least 2 years ago and chose not to listen. Sucks yes maybe for the fans,but now you may finally see what it was like to be a fan of a rebuilding team that has to use GM skills for success instead of buying teams to compete.

A little evil part of me wants teams like the Leafs,Detroit..etc to miss the playoffs for 7 straight years so i can churp back at their fans :razz:
Well it won't happen, my friend. These teams have exceptional personnel and can make any team contenders within 2-3 years. The thing with perennial losers is that usually their coaching and other staff members aren't anything more than average. You can hate the Leafs all you want (and trust me, I do), but they run a tight ship. Same with Detroit. They just snagged Babcock and added him to a still decent team that'll add players through their very good scouting. These are still big-markets. That won't change. Players wanna play where people see them and where more than 15 seconds of the news are devoted to them.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
Jacobv2 said:

They should be be 'punished' or neither should.

The team that actually made the pick got the first player.

However whoever traded it obviously felt they were compensated.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
T@T said:

yes, that's the point. Since you've stated that they will become a rebuilding team, why should they not have a shot at the top pick?

and for the record, Toronto was not in the top 5 in salary until 2 years ago. They had a smaller payroll than Washington a few seasons back, and nobody has a problem with the Caps getting a shot at a top pick. And why is that? It's because the Caps stopped trying to win last year. Doesn't seem fair to me...

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
NYRangers said:
They should be be 'punished' or neither should.

The team that actually made the pick got the first player.

However whoever traded it obviously felt they were compensated.
But the Penguins didn't gain any value unfairly. It was Florida that "won" something. And then they traded it and got what they thought to be fair value. The Penguins didn't really win anything. They paid a fair price for the 1st overall pick.

Look at it as if the Panthers drafted Fleury 1st overall and dealt him the next day to the Pens for Horton and a 2nd rounder.

shveik

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
NYR469 said:
barring something drastic like all RFAs being declared UFAs, teams aren't going to change that drastically. teams for the most part will keep their good players under 31 keeping the foundation of the team similar

some older teams might see a big drop as they lose guys and some younger teams might get a big boost by being able to add some available free agents, but i don't think the balance of power will instantly shift. it isn't like they are throwing everyone into a pool and starting over from scratch. ottawa will still go into the season with hossa, havlat, spezza, redden, etc

Look at the teams that everybody is saying should be given very little chance (if at all) at Crosby, or other top picks. All of them have achieved a long string of success and now their core is aged. They have stayed at the top by signing some key free agents, which are now going to retire or bought out because of the cap. They are not throwing everyone into the pool, but they might as well. The long standing powerhouses are going to be hit hard, while the teams that were lurking at the bottom are in the prime situation to improve their team (cheaper plentyful UFAs and more cap room).

No one can say what's going to happen, which makes even more puzzling the certainty with which many fans say that the 3, or even 5 year old records should determine the draft order. Well, maybe not so puzzling since they just want their team at the top. Which is quite understandable, but then let's not use the word "fair", ok?

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
MontrealCruiser_83 said:
Well it won't happen, my friend. These teams have exceptional personnel and can make any team contenders within 2-3 years. The thing with perennial losers is that usually their coaching and other staff members aren't anything more than average. You can hate the Leafs all you want (and trust me, I do), but they run a tight ship.

LOL,i'm having a tough time deciding what team has the worst set of prospects but i boiled it down to between Toronto and Colorado but yet you say Toronto runs a tight ship! :badidea:

I truely don't mean this as flame but i really think the Leafs have the worst GM/Coach combination in the league,they get nothing from that overpriced team when it matters.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Jacobv2 said:
But the Penguins didn't gain any value unfairly. It was Florida that "won" something. And then they traded it and got what they thought to be fair value. The Penguins didn't really win anything. They paid a fair price for the 1st overall pick.

Look at it as if the Panthers drafted Fleury 1st overall and dealt him the next day to the Pens for Horton and a 2nd rounder.

I wouldn't worry overly much. The system that this seems to be referring to is the reported 'Bettman plan' the details of which leaked a while back. In that one there were four balls, almost like is in this thread, but you lost a ball for winning the lottery, not for having the first pick by trade. You also lost balls for making the playoffs. The Pens ended up with 3 balls under that scenerio if I remember. Two teams only had four balls.

This Eklund reporting in this thread sounds too much like that leaked Bettman plan. I would guess if implimented it would be FLA losing twice, not just because of the argument that you just made, but because thatis how it was reported in the past.

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Jacobv2 said:

I thought the general rule was every team had a chance so 1 is the min for all 30 teams .

Seems like the max is still yet to be determined ..

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
e-townchamps said:
there NEEDS to be a weighted lottery system....no way Colorado, Detroit, Toronto should have an equal chance at Crosby when these team consistanly make the playoff every year and go deep...

I'm tired of hearing this...I wish people could come up with a different reason.

I am in favor of 1/30. Seeing as how the draft is supposed to be based on previous year's standings...and since there was no season, then there's nothing to base it on. Oh yeah, plus the fact that teams have already been compensated in past drafts. 1/30 is the FAIR way to do it. It doesn't take a Rocket Scientist to figure that out!

I don't give a flying **** if it's Atlanta, Columbus, Detroit (coming from an Avs fan), Toronto, Pittsburgh or whoever wins the draft lottery...I just would prefer it to be 1/30. The Avalanche could finish last in the lottery and I wouldn't care. In fact, I'd be stoked if Washington or Columbus or Atlanta or Pittsburgh wound up with him...could you imagine that? *drools at thought of Crosby with Malkin/Ovechkin/Heatley/Kovalchuk*

Last edited by a moderator:

Vomiting Kermit*

Don't know if this is posted in here already, but Eklund added a couple more articles pieces of info regarding the draft and a note on Gretzky coaching the Coyotes (I don't believe the guy, but some do, so here goes):

- each team will get at least a single ball

- draft will be held in Ottawa on July 30th

Also, Gretzky will be the new coach of the Coyotes, but he won't coach all the away games; Rick Tocchet will fill in there.

http://hockeyrumors.blogspot.com/

:dunno:

Last edited by a moderator:

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
ryanlambert said:
# of balls per team under this system...

3: NY Rangers, Columbus

2: Chicago, Minnesota, Calgary, Nashville

1: Philadelphia, New Jersey, Carolina, Florida, Detroit, St. Louis, Colorado, Boston, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Buffalo, Vancouver, Edmonton, San Jose, Dallas, Los Angeles, Anaheim, Phoenix, Atlanta

0: Washington, Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh, NY Islanders

I tried to figure out the balls per team as well (taking as a basis that each team would have at least one ball) and here is my result. Columbus can not have 3 balls, they had the 1st-OA selecting Rick Nash (as you can see i took a ball from the team that actually took the 1st-selection, not from the team, that originally had that pick [the Panthers traded a 1st-OA twice])

3 Balls: Rangers

2 Balls: Florida, Calgary, Nashville, Minnesota, Anaheim, Columbus, Chicago

1 Ball: all other teams

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
T@T said:

A little evil part of me wants any team that constantly loses money to fold.

:biglaugh:

Taranis_24

Jan 6, 2004
Visit site
Scugs said:
wtf, why would a coach not coach away games?

I think it's already been confirmed that the draft date was August 6th.

Pretty well known that Gretzky really hates to fly. You think he would have gotten over that by now. It's a reach but maybe the reason.

shOOt_the_mOOn

Jul 12, 2004
With all the changes coming with the new CBA, I believe past team make-up won't mean a whole lot.

These are new times. 1 ball for each team this year.

They can go back to the way it was after this year.

The Maltais Falcon

Jan 9, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Boltsfan2029 said:
Acquired via trade from San Jose which acquired it via trade from the Panthers. We've never won the lottery or "won" a first overall pick.
Au contraire. I'm pretty sure Tampa won first overall in 1999. Chicago won the lottery, but they started in eighth place, so they only moved up to fourth overall. Tampa subsequently traded the first pick to Vancouver, who in turn traded it to Atlanta.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad