Eklund: Weighted Draft Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
they can't go back more than 4 years cause prior to that there weren't 30 teams...you can't include seasons where certain teams didn't exist.

EricBowser

Dec 8, 2003
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
It makes no sense at all because the #1 overall pick has been traded and the worst teams didn't always win the lottery.

I would rather see 30 balls and select the draft order this way than some insane weighted system that was designed to satisfy the big markets anyway.

RedSoxNation

Jan 31, 2005
this is just silly -- if Eckland has more creditability then the Los Angeles Times then, he's amazing. The much talked discussed Los Angeles Times report said that "A source also said each team will have an equal chance in the lottery for the No. 1 pick in this year's entry draft." but who do you believe more the L.A. Times or a guy who creates his own rumors?

johnny cool

Feb 19, 2004
# of balls per team under this system...

3: NY Rangers, Columbus

2: Chicago, Minnesota, Calgary, Nashville

1: Philadelphia, New Jersey, Carolina, Florida, Detroit, St. Louis, Colorado, Boston, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Buffalo, Vancouver, Edmonton, San Jose, Dallas, Los Angeles, Anaheim, Phoenix, Atlanta

0: Washington, Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh, NY Islanders

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
NYR469 said:
they can't go back more than 4 years cause prior to that there weren't 30 teams...you can't include seasons where certain teams didn't exist.
Sure you can, just count it as a non playoff season. It's not like an expansion team has a chance at a play-off spot anyways.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
This is for Eklund

From Ken Campbell of the Toronto Star on May 18

Each team starts with four balls in the lottery.

Teams lose a ball for each year they qualified for the playoffs in the past four seasons.

Teams also lose a ball if they have had the first overall selection in any of the past four drafts.

Each team is guaranteed at least one ball

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...970081593064&DPL=IvsNDS/7ChAX&tacodalogin=yes

The Rangers and Columbus would each have four balls and a 6.7% chance of winning the lottery.Columbus acquired the Rick Nash pick in a trade with Florida which had the #1 pick in 2002

Teams with one ball would have a 1.7% chance of winning the lottery

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
RedSoxNation said:
this is just silly -- if Eckland has more creditability then the Los Angeles Times then, he's amazing. The much talked discussed Los Angeles Times report said that "A source also said each team will have an equal chance in the lottery for the No. 1 pick in this year's entry draft." but who do you believe more the L.A. Times or a guy who creates his own rumors?

Yeah and TSN reported the lottery would be weighted.I believe TSN over the LA Times

TSN refuted the equal chance lottery

One of them was that when the NHL entry draft lottery is held to determine order of selection that every team will have an equal chance -- one in 30 -- of getting the first overall pick and the right to choose phenom Sidney Crosby.

Sources tell TSN that when the lottery is conducted, it will be a slightly weighted lottery, giving the teams that have performed poorly over the last three or four seasons a slightly better chance than those who have performed well.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=129820

Tb0ne

Nov 29, 2004
Victoria
They should take the number of years a team has been in the league, divide that by how many cups they have.

The team with the worst rating, gets first pick.

Or just give the 1st pick to a Canadian team on the west coast :D.

johnny cool

Feb 19, 2004
they should give it to whatever team's captain can guess the number bettman is thinking of.

Benji Frank

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
ryanlambert said:
they should give it to whatever team's captain can guess the number bettman is thinking of.

I was thinking the GM's should play rock paper scizzors, but your idea is a good one too......

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
there NEEDS to be a weighted lottery system....no way Colorado, Detroit, Toronto should have an equal chance at Crosby when these team consistanly make the playoff every year and go deep...

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
RedSoxNation said:

TSN also reported a weighted lottery today

"Sources tell TSN that when the lottery is conducted, it will be a slightly weighted lottery, giving the teams that have performed poorly over the last three or four seasons a slightly better chance than those who have performed well."

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
RangerBoy said:
This is for Eklund

From Ken Campbell of the Toronto Star on May 18

Each team starts with four balls in the lottery.

Teams lose a ball for each year they qualified for the playoffs in the past four seasons.

Teams also lose a ball if they have had the first overall selection in any of the past four drafts.

Each team is guaranteed at least one ball

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...970081593064&DPL=IvsNDS/7ChAX&tacodalogin=yes

The Rangers and Columbus would each have four balls and a 6.7% chance of winning the lottery.Columbus acquired the Rick Nash pick in a trade with Florida which had the #1 pick in 2002

Teams with one ball would have a 1.7% chance of winning the lottery
But since Columbus was the team to make that pick, doesn't it stand to reason that the pick would be accredited to them? If Florida had picked Nash and traded him to the BJ's, then the scenario you're describing makes sense, but my reading of the draft lottery is that whichever team picked first (i.e., Atlanta, Columbus, Pittsburgh, Washington) loses that single chance.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
RangerBoy said:
Bob McKenzie was on here either yesterday or on Tuesday maintaining the lottery would be a weighted lottery
Bob McKenzie's word is good enough for me. If he says it is weighted, I am going to believe that it is weighted.

MontrealCruiser_83*

That's an awful system. 5 years? I'm sorry, but two years is the max.

This is much better:

Each team starts with 3 balls

If you've made the playoffs twice in the past two years, you lose two balls.

If you've made the playoffs once in the past two years, you lose one ball.

kingbrath

Jul 15, 2002
Calgary, AB
Visit site
MontrealCruiser_83 said:

This is much better:

I agree, but I'm a Kings fan so Im biased!

Last edited:

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
MontrealCruiser_83 said:

This is much better:

Yea.. that's great.. :loony:

Pavel

Mar 1, 2004
Houston
I wouldn't put too much faith in anything the phantom blogger is reporting. All he is doing the last two day is quoting other sources that any of us could find just as easily. In one day he's posted two different draft senarios. You throw enough poo against the wall something is bound to stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->