Eklund: The End (of the Lockout) is Near.

Discussion in 'The Business of Hockey' started by rwilson99, Jan 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rwilson99

rwilson99 Registered User

Real Estate Agent
    Home Page:
    Thursday, January 27, 2005

The end is here.
    I am jumping on a flight, but I just got word about the new proposal coming from the NHL. How serious is it? My source says, "This will absolutely be over by Saturday. Posturing is over. These talks are the final talks. We will know where we are in the next few days. I am convinced this new proposal is a result of what both sides have been working on. There is immense pressure coming from the big teams. The players are going to have a hard time turning down this offer. Word is they already know what it basically is and are holding a vote on their website as we speak. I would be stunned if the season was cancelled. It won't go past the week-end. Not a chance"

http://hockeyrumors.blogspot.com/

2. hossy316

hossy316 Registered User

Covad
    Home Page:
    I certainly hop this is true!! I am really strating to miss the game now, this is just too much!! Guess I took it for granted before.

IMO, I just cannot see a whole season being canceled. And if it is, most, if not all of next too. I don't think that either side wants that. the players wanna play and make $ and the owners wanna make money. I truely believe that there will be a season.

3. rekrul

rekrul Registered User

Home Page:
    i predict that the blogs last shred of credibility will be over too on sat..

4. neelynugs

neelynugs Registered User

great news...go eklund!!

(waits until everyone gets mad over optimism from a cloudy source)

:joker:

5. snakepliskin

snakepliskin Registered User

:lol: what shred of credibility! :lol:

6. NJD Jester

NJD Jester Registered User

Home Page:
    It's really not a stretch for this guy to say the lockout will be over -- practically every media outlet with someone close to the negotiations is saying that progress has been made, and the season will be saved.

But a new proposal? That seems like a leap. The two sides have been talking since the last meeting last week, and then met again this week. All for the NHL to make a new bid? To me, it seems like they'd be more likely to be working out a deal together.

EDIT: Well, I guess the radio's been reporting a new proposal from the NHL. Hmmmm...this could be a good thing or a bad thing.

<JESTER>

7. Watts02

Watts02 Registered User

Home Page:
    Well one thing is for sure we will know if this guy was blowing smoke or not now that he has actually said something Definitive for once. And for his sake he had better be right.

8. Thornton97

Thornton97 Registered User

Petroleum Engineer
    he didn't say it--his source did. that still gives him a way out.

Certainly hope his source is correct, though.

9. Beauty eh?

Beauty eh? Not sure if serious.

I almost hope he is completely wrong so we can finally stop hearing from him.

10. mudcrutch79

mudcrutch79 Registered User

Home Page:
    You know what though? At some point he'll be right, and those who are inclined to believe such things will. The more discerning reader though might note this:

Prior to the players Dec. 9 proposal.

After the owners proposal.

Jan, 09

Jan. 17

Jan. 18

If you go back and read through it, all he ever does is say that the players will cave. The only way this is a real reporter is if he's Al Strachan-no one else would post this many bad sources. Incredible. And yet he'll eventually get lucky, and be hailed as having had sources all along.

11. neelynugs

neelynugs Registered User

the obsession grows :joker:

12. rwilson99

rwilson99 Registered User

Real Estate Agent
    Home Page:
    I would count myself as a pro-Ecklund guy, but I appreciate your very solid factual post.

I would argue that rumors are rumors and that the apparent split between Linden and Goodenow would be a great explanation for the delays in getting a deal, and the conflicting signals coming from a multitude of sources.

13. Lady Rhian

Lady Rhian The Only Good Indian

:joker:

14. hockeymistress

hockeymistress Registered User

Have all this handy when some resolution actually finally DOES happen and everyone screams, "See, he was RIGHT!"

The guy is eventually going to have to be right if every other day he is posting, "A resolution is coming, it's going to be announced..."

For all the times he has been dead wrong, he'll finally get it right once and people will be jumping for joy and saying he is legit.

H.

15. Watts02

Watts02 Registered User

Home Page:
    SO then why on earth is He the only one reporting these rumors. Where are the credible reporters with reliable sources. Everyone has sources since this lockout started. It is insane. Yeah they are rumours but everyone is eating them up because thats what you want to hear. "it's commming to an end". This one he will eventually get right but like mudcrutch79 showed look how much CRAP this guy has spewed. Dont be at all surprised if Bettman continues to play hard ball with this new offer from the NHL, and force a hard cap at a level of around no more then $40Millon. If his sources are so correct and the players are getting very weak kneed, why not push it down their throats and get it all. Because thats the direction his posts are leading us to believe, that the players are over throwing Goodenow and are about to cave.

16. 417

417 Registered User

Well this is what makes TSN, Sportsnet so credible, even if they had a feeling this thing will get resolved, they won't leak anything out until they are 120% sure that's the case, that's why TSN is TSN and Sportsnet is Sportsnet, once this thing is resolved, one of them will come out with a "as reported by TSN first" type of statement, the media plays such a key role in negotiations, I don't think people realize to what extent

17. I in the Eye

I in the Eye Drop a ball it falls

Eklund = paparazzi, IMO

Never gets invited to the party, but probably has low-level sources that know (or have heard 'rumblings' through the grapevine) where the parties are - and then he camps outside... Hey, I was there!

IMO, he's likely bent the truth a bit (or a lot), and now that the blog has gotten bigger than he originally thought, to come out would perhaps expose these half-truths... Pure speculation on my part...

I think Eklund wears the big cowboy hat, but has no (or a small herd of) cattle... I would think that real respected journalists would always put their name behind their work - a stamp of approval... and sell their exclusive stories to media outlets for $... It is, afterall, their career...

But it's a fun read, nonetheless, IMO...

18. snakepliskin

snakepliskin Registered User

an argument could also be made that the larger market teams are pressuring the owners into making a deal -in my humble opinion both sides might have partially caved to make a deal to play-i'm sure other than the upper echelon of players that the average player was getting antsy and letting it be known to their reps and the owners were starting to get some heat from the large market teams and especially NBC and this could lead to a compromise deal. however i don't think a compromise deal is what the league needed to be solvent and this is probably one negotiation that the league really needed to win big. a 50 mill cap plus a franchise player is absolutely useless to over half the league, if the larger market teams have forced a compromise on a cap i would have to believe that they also agreed to some form of revenue sharing that is pretty significant.

19. Watts02

Watts02 Registered User

Home Page:
    lets not forget. Bettman needs 8 owners and his vote to shoot down any proposal. So who has the leverage. The big teams. Not a chance they stand to make the most. So they really don't have the big voice to sway the NHL into a premature deal. Bettman has all he needs and will get what he wants, IMO that means no deal this weekend unless the players completely cave, which wont happen either.

20. B-MEL

B-MEL Registered User

UnEmployed Hockey Analyst
    Home Page:
    Eklund can be wronng 99 times and be an ass.

Then he'll be right 1 time and become God!!!

This is no differrent than all the trade deadline rumors.

21. I in the Eye

I in the Eye Drop a ball it falls

God to some... David Koresh to others...

22. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Registered User

Home Page:
    i still don think this guy has any complete followers, just people who want to hear something positive. i dont see any posters believing what he says verbatim. on the other thread everyone is happy that he has been proven wrong by there being an nhl proposal. what if the "agreement in general" is that proposal? nothing he has said has been proven right.....or wrong. everyone also complains that he distances himself from the sources or doesnt provide proof. name me one guy like brooks, strachan, garrioch, fishler....who doesnt distance himself by refering to "sources" and never provides proof over rumours they print. to me he is just as credible as those guys, its all just sensationalistic crap - just because the other guys write for big papers doesnt give them credibility in these departments.

23. blah

blah Registered User

24. Fish on The Sand

Fish on The Sand Untouchable

Home Page:
    it has already lost its last shred of credibility.

25. Fish on The Sand

Fish on The Sand Untouchable

Home Page:
    I notice in one of his blogs he said Wayne and Mario were some of the higher ups. I could be mistaken, but I was under the impression they were almost inconsequential to the proceedings?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.