Eklund: Light at End of the Tunnel

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
The Iconoclast said:
No never heard of it. Can you outline exactly how this "technology" works. Is it widely used? What are the costs associated with this marvelous break through? Is this available every where? Isn't there a problem with getting all the strings from the different soup cans tangled up?

BTW... Sutter when asked about the meeting and said he knew nothing about it, wasn't asked to participate and was too busy scouting anyways. Holes man, holes everywhere.

The coaching conference isn't in question, tsn is reporting on it as well. The Fan 590 also just reported that the current meeting is in the Sutton Hotel. Eklund could very well be staying there for all we know.

Lanny MacDonald*

EdBelfour20 said:
http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=112566

The coach meeting isn't made up by "Eklund", in fact it is confirmed by TSN

Wow, thanks. I think we all knew this a couple days ago. That's the point. The Eklund clown is no different that Spector, regurgitating information that has been culled from all over the web. The fact that people take him as a source of information is the disturbing part IMO. His batting average is brutal. He makes Al Strachan look like a credible source of information.

EdBelfour20

Jan 19, 2004
no13matssundin said:
Just an FYI, Eklund said theyre having the meetings in the same place as before... the Sheraton...

then the Fan590 just said that theyre meeting at the Sutton Place Hotel...

SO MUCH FOR THAT ONE, EKLUND. :lol:

Sutton = probably incorrect says Fan590!

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
EdBelfour20 said:
Sutton = probably incorrect says Fan590!

Hahaha, I just heard this too. I retract my previous statement, this entire thing is getting a tad ricidulous.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
The Iconoclast said:
Wow, thanks. I think we all knew this a couple days ago. That's the point. The Eklund clown is no different that Spector, regurgitating information that has been culled from all over the web. The fact that people take him as a source of information is the disturbing part IMO. His batting average is brutal. He makes Al Strachan look like a credible source of information.

Well he was the first to report that Goodenow *may* be on the outs, now others are reporting that. He was the first to report about a tier'd system with a franchise player, now that is being discussed the next day as part of the rumored deal.

Folks, say what you want, but most of the stuff he posted yesterday is pretty close to being true. With anything like this it is impossible to have all the details. He is just reporting what he hears.

I dont know if the hatred most of you spew towards him comes from jealousy or ignorance. I am guessing the latter.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
no13matssundin said:
Well, the key is that this Eklund guy is doing what I said he was doing yesterday... that meeting was announced YESTERDAY... then he comes out and posts something soon thereafter making it sound like he "got a scoop" when all hes doing is making crap up on top of half-truths already released in the media.

That is totally untrue.

Lanny MacDonald*

You know, if this Eklund guy really wanted to get any level of instant credability he would have released which hotel he was staying at, where the meetings were taking place, and that would have been immediately confirmed by other media sources everywhere. All of his other writings would have been given a boost with that truth coming out. He could have easily stated that the meetings are taking place "here", been an instant hero, and lent some credability to his stuff. Saying they are meeting at the same hotel he is staying at does nothing. It hurts his credability for not releasing that information that could confirm his information and not reveal any source. The guy is full of crap.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
no13matssundin said:
Do tell, how is it untrue? They announced the coaches meeting yesterday.

Dont take this the wrong way, but you aren't very good at reading, are you? He said in his blog that the reason they *might* be havng the meeting today is to possibly explore what rules they may implement this season if the season can be saved.

He never broke a story about the coaches meeting.

He was right about Goodenow and was pretty close on the deal that is being rumored today.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
pkwjr said:
One of the reasons Eklund may have created that website is $$$$. do you notice the google ads on the right? He gets paid everytime someone clicks on one of those babies.
Exactly. I think he set up the website, then went to message boards and posted links to himself, claiming that “some guy†has inside info. He starts a buzz, gets more hits and makes some bills. Pretty clever actually.

The fact that he’s been quoting his sources saying a deal is imminent since November makes me call bs. I have yet to see an explanation as to why his sources have been incorrect thus far.

This has nothing to do with hate. If people are entertained by it, then that’s great.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The Iconoclast said:
I'm still not buying this guy's BS.

The NHL just happens to be meeting in the same hotel this guy is staying in? Sure they are. I didn't realize the NHL met at Motel 6. I highly doubt this guys is staying at the Habor Castle either. This smells fishy (as does the Harbor Castle from time to time).

Also, if the NHL had called an "emergency" coaches meeting I highly doubt the league would invite the "select" group they did. If the NHL were really having a coaches meeting like the one Eklund suggests would they not invite more than six coaches, and also make sure the coaches from the Stanley Cup champions and runners up from last spring were part of the panel? And where is the godfather of the trap, Jacques Lemaire? Kind of goes against common sense to me, but this is the NHL. Common sense is in short supply IMO.

Apparently it's not all BS:

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=13824650&BRD=1675&PAG=461&dept_id=18170&rfi=6

Six NHL coaches - including the Flyers' Ken Hitchcock - were summoned to Toronto today for a meeting with league officials to discuss possible rule changes and other ideas to improve the NHL.

Hitchcock will be joined by fellow coaches Jacques Martin (Florida), Joel Quennville (Colorado), Dave Lewis (Detroit), Lindy Ruff (Buffalo) and Marc Crawford (Vancouver).

Reached in Toronto Tuesday, Hitchcock said he could not comment on the purpose of his trip, the coincidental timing of the rules meeting with continued collective bargaining agreement talks, any ideas he might have as far as recommendations for the new rules, or if he is any more confident that the NHL season will be salvaged before the end of the month.

"They told me to get my (butt) up here right away and that's what I did," said Hitchcock after arriving in the Ontario capital Tuesday night. "It's a very intense situation up here and you don't realize how intense it is until you get here."

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
John Flyers Fan said:
Apparently it's not all BS:

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=13824650&BRD=1675&PAG=461&dept_id=18170&rfi=6

Six NHL coaches - including the Flyers' Ken Hitchcock - were summoned to Toronto today for a meeting with league officials to discuss possible rule changes and other ideas to improve the NHL.

Hitchcock will be joined by fellow coaches Jacques Martin (Florida), Joel Quennville (Colorado), Dave Lewis (Detroit), Lindy Ruff (Buffalo) and Marc Crawford (Vancouver).

Reached in Toronto Tuesday, Hitchcock said he could not comment on the purpose of his trip, the coincidental timing of the rules meeting with continued collective bargaining agreement talks, any ideas he might have as far as recommendations for the new rules, or if he is any more confident that the NHL season will be salvaged before the end of the month.

"They told me to get my (butt) up here right away and that's what I did," said Hitchcock after arriving in the Ontario capital Tuesday night. "It's a very intense situation up here and you don't realize how intense it is until you get here."

I can't for the life of me figure out why they called this meeting now? :amazed:

:lol

You got clues about the season starting again, dropping all over the place, I guess some need to be smacked right in the face with the official announcement before they believe it, can't blame you guys, it's been a tough ride for hockey fans...

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
The Iconoclast said:
You know, if this Eklund guy really wanted to get any level of instant credability he would have released which hotel he was staying at, where the meetings were taking place, and that would have been immediately confirmed by other media sources everywhere. All of his other writings would have been given a boost with that truth coming out. He could have easily stated that the meetings are taking place "here", been an instant hero, and lent some credability to his stuff. Saying they are meeting at the same hotel he is staying at does nothing. It hurts his credability for not releasing that information that could confirm his information and not reveal any source. The guy is full of crap.

As soon as he becomes "official" his sources dry up. That's how these rumor mills work. If you start naming names and places, people stop talking to you.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
neelynugs said:
the eklund bashers amuse me- why does anyone feel the need to waste precious minutes of their lives spewing hate towards this guy? like others have mentioned before- if you don't like him or believe him, don't read him :dunno:

Agreed.
And remember, Eklund bashers, the name of his site is "Hockey Rumors" not "Hockey Absolute Truths." That's pretty much his own admission that not everything he reports is can be counted on for 100 percent accuracy.

Lard_Lad

May 12, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
ceber said:
As soon as he becomes "official" his sources dry up. That's how these rumor mills work. If you start naming names and places, people stop talking to you.

Not really. Everyone in the movie industry knows who Harry Knowles is, but aintitcoolnews.com still gets plenty of inside information. Most political bloggers identify themselves and have no trouble getting stuff passed to them. The sources can and often should stay anonymous, but there aren't many legitimate reasons for the blogger to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad