Eklund: "I think Flyers should pick Esposito 2nd"

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
Quite frankly, I think its very easy to bash Eklund.

He had a leg up on everyone, even the popular media, with the Antropov deal. Ditto the Samsonov trade, as well as Claude Julien in Boston. Has he been wrong a lot? Of course... but who hasn't? His game is rumours, whereas other mainstream media outlets involve analysis of strategy, business, etc.... Eklund is all rumors.

Dreger has missed on many predictions. As has McGuire, McKenzie (my favourite), Oake, Cuthbert, Lebrun, ad infinitum. We don't bash them, because they're under the corporate umbrella.

Eklund is as entitled to an opinion as anyone. If he had posted this a year ago, everyone would be saying he was a moron because it was such an obvious statement. Fact is, Esposito is insanely talented, at least equal to those in the top 3 - he just didn't show it last year. His upside is ridiculous, and a team like the Flyers could take a jump on it, though it is highly unlikely.

I swear, its like a bloody sewing circle in here some days... all of the people who jump on board to bash him are the people who hide behind the curtains when he gets the one-up on everyone otherwise.

Oh, and by the way, TSN's article even said on Tuesday morning that "TSN has confirmed an internet report that the Boston Bruins have hired Claude Julien as their new head coach."

I check out every hockey rumor site I know before work, and Eklund was the only one on this. Funny how no one says boo then.

I swear, message boards remind me very much of an elementary school mentality - attack those who are different.

MomentsofSanity

Sep 20, 2005
London, ON

He had a leg up on everyone, even the popular media, with the Antropov deal. Ditto the Samsonov trade, as well as Claude Julien in Boston. Has he been wrong a lot? Of course... but who hasn't? His game is rumours, whereas other mainstream media outlets involve analysis of strategy, business, etc.... Eklund is all rumors.

Dreger has missed on many predictions. As has McGuire, McKenzie (my favourite), Oake, Cuthbert, Lebrun, ad infinitum. We don't bash them, because they're under the corporate umbrella.

Eklund is as entitled to an opinion as anyone. If he had posted this a year ago, everyone would be saying he was a moron because it was such an obvious statement. Fact is, Esposito is insanely talented, at least equal to those in the top 3 - he just didn't show it last year. His upside is ridiculous, and a team like the Flyers could take a jump on it, though it is highly unlikely.

I swear, its like a bloody sewing circle in here some days... all of the people who jump on board to bash him are the people who hide behind the curtains when he gets the one-up on everyone otherwise.

Oh, and by the way, TSN's article even said on Tuesday morning that "TSN has confirmed an internet report that the Boston Bruins have hired Claude Julien as their new head coach."

I check out every hockey rumor site I know before work, and Eklund was the only one on this. Funny how no one says boo then.

I swear, message boards remind me very much of an elementary school mentality - attack those who are different.

I do believe The Fourth Period might have a different opinion on who posted this first.

This is kind of the same as "I reported the Smyth Trade before anyone else" except it was taken from a blogger in NY. So how did Eklund break the story if a blogger already posted it? Do you get points for being the first to copy someone elses published information?

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
I do believe The Fourth Period might have a different opinion on who posted this first.

This is kind of the same as "I reported the Smyth Trade before anyone else" except it was taken from a blogger in NY. So how did Eklund break the story if a blogger already posted it? Do you get points for being the first to copy someone elses published information?

Itemize as we could, anyone could go back to the lockout year where Eklund gained notoriety.

I'm not here to say he's always right. He's not. He's been dead wrong many times. But what he's offering isn't certainty, its possibility. Its an idea. If you're going to do that, lets do it for every "insider" in the hockey world.

I'm here to ensure balance. If you're going to vilify Eklund, vilify everyone for their mistakes. For misjudgements, for erroneous reports. Dreger reported this weekend that the Leafs could hire John Muckler into their front office - if this happens, will everyone jump on him and declare him a fraud? Maybe Bob McKenzies idea that Brandon Sutter will go in the top 10 won't happen - will we declare him a moron?

It won't happen.

Eklund has done enough to prove himself in the know, at least to the degree we evaluate all others. I just want him to be graded on the same criteria that we look at with other members of the hockey media.

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Itemize as we could, anyone could go back to the lockout year where Eklund gained notoriety.

I'm not here to say he's always right. He's not. He's been dead wrong many times. But what he's offering isn't certainty, its possibility. Its an idea. If you're going to do that, lets do it for every "insider" in the hockey world.

I'm here to ensure balance. If you're going to vilify Eklund, vilify everyone for their mistakes. For misjudgements, for erroneous reports. Dreger reported this weekend that the Leafs could hire John Muckler into their front office - if this happens, will everyone jump on him and declare him a fraud? Maybe Bob McKenzies idea that Brandon Sutter will go in the top 10 won't happen - will we declare him a moron?

It won't happen.

Eklund has done enough to prove himself in the know, at least to the degree we evaluate all others. I just want him to be graded on the same criteria that we look at with other members of the hockey media.
He has sources, I won't dispute that, but do you know what his hockey background is? Are you aware of the fact that he started his whole gig posting on a Philadelphia Flyers message board called flyersphans.com?

The reality is that Bob McKenzie is a hockey person and he understands what evaluating prospects is all about. Eklund is a message board poster that has shown he can find out information and report it to the public before other sources do, but that doesn't mean he knows diddly squat about hockey and certainly doesn't mean he knows anything about evaluating prospects.

I'm sorry but I'll take the opinion of any scout or scouting service over Eklund in this matter because of his background and the fact that he probably hasn't seen any of these guys play, including Esposito.

The Viking Fury

Nov 28, 2005
Tribal Phoenix doesn't have to take this. Jerks.

but on a more serious note, Tribal Phoenix is right, all he does is post rumours and possibilities. Sometimes I wonder where he gets the stuff, and almost always I prya that ones involving the Caps are dead wrong, but rarely does he post things that actually become correct. I guess he's kind of like a media outlet with no fact checker, just anytihng he hears from his sources he posts as a rumour.

MomentsofSanity

Sep 20, 2005
London, ON

It won't happen.

What he is vilified for isn't what he gets right, it's what he gets wrong and doesn't own up to or what he steals from others and claims as his own.

His site still says that an E5 is guaranteed. Never has an E5 ever been wrong, a certainty. No mistakes. Ryan Smyth resigns with Edmonton (E5) anyone? Then as I mentioned is Smyth's eventual trade which he latches onto and pats himself on the back repeatedly for "breaking" he didn't break it. It was broken by a blogger who isn't getting the credit due to him.

If he continues to conduct himself in this way, then yes he should be drawn into question for ethical reasons.

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
He has sources, I won't dispute that, but do you know what his hockey background is? Are you aware of the fact that he started his whole gig posting on a Philadelphia Flyers message board called flyersphans.com?

The reality is that Bob McKenzie is a hockey person and he understands what evaluating prospects is all about. Eklund is a message board poster that has shown he can find out information and report it to the public before other sources do, but that doesn't mean he knows diddly squat about hockey and certainly doesn't mean he knows anything about evaluating prospects.

I'm sorry but I'll take the opinion of any scout or scouting service over Eklund in this matter because of his background and the fact that he probably hasn't seen any of these guys play, including Esposito.

And taking the opinion of another hockey mind is totally your choice, and I'd never ever say 'pick Eklund over ISS'... but if you did, would you see if fit to slam ISS?

The point is that people have this vulture mentality, this gang/mob mentality, to attempt to be part of the collective.... if everyone bashes Eklund, so they must as well. He never ever says that what he reports is a certainty, and some stuff DOES sound ridiculous, but he's been right enough where everyone else was wrong, that he earns at LEAST a degree of respect.

Make your choice, have your opinion but dont' sit there like some 10 year old and think that you have to put down the other side. Respect the fact that other people have their opinion.

joe_shannon_1983*

Eklund's rating system is as self-promoting as it gets. I compare it to a cat licking it's own nuts... embarassing from the cat's stand point, and embarassing from the observer's standpoint, and yet it's too funny not to watch. The cat thoroughly enjoys it, yet the observer thinks its disgusting... and subsequently can't look away.

:biglaugh:

Great comparison. Funny, but also highly accurate.

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
Tribal Phoenix doesn't have to take this. Jerks.

but on a more serious note, Tribal Phoenix is right, all he does is post rumours and possibilities. Sometimes I wonder where he gets the stuff, and almost always I prya that ones involving the Caps are dead wrong, but rarely does he post things that actually become correct. I guess he's kind of like a media outlet with no fact checker, just anytihng he hears from his sources he posts as a rumour.

Appreciate the support. I really do come here to discuss hockey, and not get into crap flinging wars with members about who is all-knowing, and who is monkey dung in terms of the mysterious/ficitious world of 'hockey insider guru'.

Ever the greatest insider would say they don't know it all. Apparently, Eklund has to meet this ideal. No one ever said this of Code. No one has ever said it of Spector. But Eklund, because he was bolder in the early days and said he knew what others didn't, unless he's an absolute clairvoyant and knows exact dollars and terms, he's a fraud.

Such a shame that people check logic, rationality, and humility at the door sometimes.

zOMG

May 27, 2007
That's a good thing, since it'll just confuse you into believing his ridiculous butt-fodder ramblings.

Eklund would like you to believe that his sources are tighter than an eagle's ass in a nosedive; but in reality, he's about as unreliable as a Ford Pinto going uphill on cinderblocks.

Eklund's rating system is as self-promoting as it gets. I compare it to a cat licking it's own nuts... embarassing from the cat's stand point, and embarassing from the observer's standpoint, and yet it's too funny not to watch. The cat thoroughly enjoys it, yet the observer thinks its disgusting... and subsequently can't look away.

LOL :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

U are GOD :handclap::yo:

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
:biglaugh:

Great comparison. Funny, but also highly accurate.

But funny enough that people will pay 20$ to read what he has to say per year?

Funny that the initial people who paid for his blog, have continued to pay for his Season Ticket Holder status on Hockeybuzz.com.

I've yet to hear of anyone seeing a cat charging anyone to watch it, as you put it so eloquently, "lick its nuts".....

Liquidrage*

FYI:
Many of us have had to deal with Eklund's musings for years and years. He has a favorite team, is from a certain area, and posted on a main team site ever for this team way before his delusions got him some fame.

He made up conversations with people, like telling us he just got off the phone with Satan's agent when Satan was rumored to be going to Philly, while, of course, Satan had no agent. Had told us deals were done, that were of course already big rumors, that never got done.

But he wouldn't quit to his credit. His desire to peddle absolute made up crap to be seen as an insider is second to none.
And it did get him some pup and some connections I'm sure.

But once a liar always a liar.

And what you call "different", in this case, I call a "liar".

So keep your holier then though attitude. The dude is the American dream come true in a way that makes you think this here interweb aint worth the trouble. Lairs shouldn't prosper.

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
And taking the opinion of another hockey mind is totally your choice, and I'd never ever say 'pick Eklund over ISS'... but if you did, would you see if fit to slam ISS?

The point is that people have this vulture mentality, this gang/mob mentality, to attempt to be part of the collective.... if everyone bashes Eklund, so they must as well. He never ever says that what he reports is a certainty, and some stuff DOES sound ridiculous, but he's been right enough where everyone else was wrong, that he earns at LEAST a degree of respect.

Make your choice, have your opinion but dont' sit there like some 10 year old and think that you have to put down the other side. Respect the fact that other people have their opinion.

I have no problem at all with his rumor stuff, in fact I like it quite a bit and he generally does have a good pulse of what's going on in the league even if most things don't turn it to go through (which is the way rumors and trade talks are anyway).

That said, he should leave the draft stuff to the people who know what they're talking about and worry about reporting what he's told. The problem is that he's a media source read by a lot of people, but his knowledge base when discussing things like prospects is that of the average message board posters.

markzab

Sep 6, 2005
Philadelphia, PA.
That's a good thing, since it'll just confuse you into believing his ridiculous butt-fodder ramblings.

Eklund would like you to believe that his sources are tighter than an eagle's ass in a nosedive; but in reality, he's about as unreliable as a Ford Pinto going uphill on cinderblocks.

Post.of.the.year. :biglaugh:

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
FYI:
Many of us have had to deal with Eklund's musings for years and years. He has a favorite team, is from a certain area, and posted on a main team site ever for this team way before his delusions got him some fame.

He made up conversations with people, like telling us he just got off the phone with Satan's agent when Satan was rumored to be going to Philly, while, of course, Satan had no agent. Had told us deals were done, that were of course already big rumors, that never got done.

But he wouldn't quit to his credit. His desire to peddle absolute made up crap to be seen as an insider is second to none.
And it did get him some pup and some connections I'm sure.

But once a liar always a liar.

And what you call "different", in this case, I call a "liar".

So keep your holier then though attitude. The dude is the American dream come true in a way that makes you think this here interweb aint worth the trouble. Lairs shouldn't prosper.

What you call "holier than thou", I call "judge not, lest ye be judged", if you want to get religious.

Fundamentally, if you're wrong about a prediction, you're a liar. However, one would basically understand the very easy understanding is that no one can predict the outcome of a decision where two sovereign minds are responsible for its outcome.

As human beings, we have our own rationales for making choices. GM's do that, some with support, some without. Many great GM's made their legacy by doing what they wanted, and telling their entourage to go ***** themselves.

History won't write those stories. They'll write the stories where people are shown wrong, but how do you know that in 1989, there wasn't a scout who said " WE NEED TO DRAFT NICKLAS LIDSTROM!"

As well, they'll write that "WE NEED TO DRAFT ERIC FICHAUD!"

Choices can be reevaluated. Such is any choice.

However, don't sit here and call someone a liar becase they said what they heard, and they heard wrong. If everyone, even those in ultimate power, knew the certain truth about everything, then would it then be genius, or just basic truth?

Think with your head. Realize that in any word you spit from your mouth that isn't concrete evidence, you may be wrong.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
This is how we know Eklund is a dumbass who doesn't know **** about Hockey and that is why we should never even pay attention to his stupid rumors he posts up because 99.99 percent of the time it is not true

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
What you call "holier than thou", I call "judge not, lest ye be judged", if you want to get religious.

Fundamentally, if you're wrong about a prediction, you're a liar. However, one would basically understand the very easy understanding is that no one can predict the outcome of a decision where two sovereign minds are responsible for its outcome.

As human beings, we have our own rationales for making choices. GM's do that, some with support, some without. Many great GM's made their legacy by doing what they wanted, and telling their entourage to go ***** themselves.

History won't write those stories. They'll write the stories where people are shown wrong, but how do you know that in 1989, there wasn't a scout who said " WE NEED TO DRAFT NICKLAS LIDSTROM!"

As well, they'll write that "WE NEED TO DRAFT ERIC FICHAUD!"

Choices can be reevaluated. Such is any choice.

However, don't sit here and call someone a liar becase they said what they heard, and they heard wrong. If everyone, even those in ultimate power, knew the certain truth about everything, then would it then be genius, or just basic truth?

Think with your head. Realize that in any word you spit from your mouth that isn't concrete evidence, you may be wrong.
Ok, but either you're not reading or you're not understanding. He isn't being called a liar because he was wrong about a prediction. He is being called a liar because he said he spoke to Satan's agent when Satan didn't even have a freaking agent and then later admitted to lieing about multiple things he posted in that forum.

The reality is that he has contacts and generally doesn't have to lie anymore. That doesn't necessarily mean that he doesn't lie occasionally and knowing his background (which most do not, but every flyersphans poster does) it's hard to know when he's telling the truth or talking out of his ass.

At any rate, that doesn't change my point that he's not a scout, he doesn't know anything about evaluating prospects, and he likely hasn't seen any of these guys play so him saying the Flyers should take Esposito at 2 when every scout is saying otherwise is quite laughable.

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
Ok, but either you're not reading or you're not understanding. He isn't being called a liar because he was wrong about a prediction. He is being called a liar because he said he spoke to Satan's agent when Satan didn't even have a freaking agent and then later admitted to lieing about multiple things he posted in that forum.

The reality is that he has contacts and generally doesn't have to lie anymore. That doesn't necessarily mean that he doesn't lie occasionally and knowing his background (which most do not, but every flyersphans poster does) it's hard to know when he's telling the truth or talking out of his ass.

At any rate, that doesn't change my point that he's not a scout, he doesn't know anything about evaluating prospects, and he likely hasn't seen any of these guys play so him saying the Flyers should take Esposito at 2 when every scout is saying otherwise is quite laughable.

And again, you're not reading what I'm telling you.

How many insiders spoke about Satan's availability? How the bloody hell do we know who has an agent, and who doesn't? Who it is, what the relationship is? Nylander doesn't have an agent right now, do you think its still the case? Only 2 days until the draft, only 10 until he's a free agent, do you REALLY think he hasn't talked to someone before releasing it to the media?

For crying out loud, use your bloody head. Releasing that you have an agent alone gives up competitive advantage - by the same way you look at a scout, you know the agents reputation, their tactics, how they'll approach things. Do you think NHL players are just climbing over themselves to say "I HAVE AN AGENT!!!!"?

No. It would be assinine.

Every individual, free agent in the NHL (or any major sport), down to a 26,000$ punter at any company with some kind of company has labour negotiation leverage, if they walk in with the power to say "I have someone to represent me and will ask for more money."

That NEVER guarantees money. Offer better chances? Sure. But doesn't make anythings a damn thing more certain.

For more reference, refer to Ken Klee is 2001-2002 asking the Caps for 4M$ a year, and then settling for 1.5$ from the Leafs.

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
homer is riding pretty high, he has turned a pile of copper into at least a pile of silver, why would he put his neck on the line and take esposito at #2. why would he develop a team strategy to bring in hard working guys, and then turn around and draft someone you would have to "cane" every game to get him to do anything. homer has been a scout for the flyers for a long time, he can find some nice gems. i don't think he is one bit thrilled with the work effort of guys like cherepanov and esposito. he did mention they are very skilled though.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005

Eklund's problem is that he has TOO many opinions. How many Ewhatevers has he had in the last 2 seasons? Perhaps 1000 and I am not exageratting. How many players hase he NOT named in some kind of rumour over the last 24 months? 100 players, 200 players?

Are we supposed to believe Eklund - some anonymous guy - has relationships with half the player agents and half the GMs in the NHL?

Give me a break. If Eklund posted 50 rumours a year and 10 came true then he might have credibility. If he posts 500 rumours a year and 10 come true then he looks alot like a guy that is listening to Sports Radio in a bunch of cities and reading the trade rumours board on HF and just reporting what some irate fan is saying on a call in show. Not what a real "source" tells him.

King RAZZ

Los Cucarachas
Apr 26, 2007
The Roach Motel
razzilla.multiply.com

Post of the year...MY ASS!!!

IT'S THE POST OF THE CENTURY!!!!!!! :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->