Which defenseman would you want on your team

• Total voters

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I'm pretty sure on which way most Preds fans would lean but I'd like everyone else take before the actual season starts.
Both are used in more of defensive defensemen roles. Which one would you prefer, outside of contracts, which are very similar regardless.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I honestly grade them rather equally. I voted for Ekholm by the slighest hair, partially because he doesn't have to change settings

Pretty much this although if there was a too close to call option I might take that one but Ekholm by a smidge.

Reactions: Lavar Ball

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Probably on the outside here, but i think i'd still take McDonagh. I think the challenge with both of them is that they've played their last bunch of years behind absolutely Norris caliber guys. On a de facto "second pairing". But McDonagh to me, has had it a little bit tougher as more of a "shutdown" guy. Just sort of ballpark perceptions though, could be entirely wrong on that.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I thought Ekholm had a little bit of an off year last season, but not because he had slowed or due to any physical deterioration, just... he wasn't quite "on" his game especially in the first half. But he still seems to have all his tools intact and I expect a return to top form for him in the coming season.

Plus it will help him that his likely D partners, whether Fabbro or Carrier, are becoming more experienced and that should ease a bit of the burden he has carried since Subban fell apart. They were a tremendous pair for a couple years, but it feels like Ekholm has been leaned on to really carry the 2nd pair ever since.

I haven't watched McDonagh closely enough to be sure, so we'll see, but I would expect that Ekholm will continue to be a notch above him. He has mobility and offense that McDonagh probably can't match, and they should be equally solid defensively.

So: Ekholm.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I will say this: if McDonagh is as good as Ekholm... or even in some form of close-enough ballpark... then getting him for free would be a MUCH greater add for the Preds than I was thinking. If he's THAT good still, then it's a HUGE add. :oops:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad