Speculation: EJ Hradek: Colorado starting to get more serious offers for Duchene.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Basically a prediction that the deal isn't happening then. Just don't see CBJ giving up that much for 2 years of duchene.

Are we pretending that contract extensions aren't a thing? May as well pretend development isn't a thing either and saying that Colorado isn't going to trade Duchene for a fringe defenseman like Carlsson.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Are we pretending that contract extensions aren't a thing? May as well pretend development isn't a thing either and saying that Colorado isn't going to trade Duchene for a fringe defenseman like Carlsson.

Agreed, let's do that.

kingdoughty

Jan 10, 2009
This overly accentuates the positive and completely ignores recent negatives like:
  • a career-low season in which he appeared to quit on his team
  • knee injuries that suggest that "skates like the wind" is potentially a thing of the past
  • reaching actual #1C levels of point production only twice in an eight-year career (the last time being three years ago)
Things like this will sometimes limit what the market is willing to pay. This is a phenomenon we know well - see: Johansen, Ryan. (Of course, said negatives are also frequently what gets such a player onto the market in the first place.)

* * *​

It's good to have dreams.
pat.gif

Ok, so why do you want him then? Duchene came into the league hot and is a legit star. You don't agree with that, don't try to pry him off a desperate team. Just because Colorado is hurt and in distress doesn't mean they need to sell off all their assets for chump change. And no, the market doesn't disagree with me obviously... teams are calling him left and right. He has no need to trade the kid for another 2 years.

Last edited by a moderator:

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006
In this thread are a bunch of fans who don't know the value of Duchene. You aren't going to get Duchene for un-established players and late 1st rounders.

Isles offered a top 4, established defensman(one that later returned a 1st and a 2nd) , a probable mid-1st round pick, and a prospect, and Sakic turned it down. That offer is far from what you're implying.
Perhaps HE doesn't know the value of his own player.
Snow made an offer and walked away, as he should. I see the other GM's doing the same shortly.

Last edited by a moderator:

kingdoughty

Jan 10, 2009
Isles offered a top 4, established defensman(one that later returned a 1st and a 2nd) , a probable mid-1st round pick, and a prospect, and Sakic turned it down. That offer is far from what you're implying.

Hamonic doesn't score goals, they need an offensive dman. And the pick would be 25th-31st with Duchene on their team. Try again buddy, bad deal...

Last edited:

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Well, I did call the objective for the Johansen and Nash trades correctly, but, sure, okay, I'm just another idiot fan and you're the enlightened fan, feel free to dismiss my opinion in favor of your clearly superior one. :)

Absolutely you are. And no, I'm right there with you. No of us have any idea how this is going to play out. We'll sit on twitter and eat up anything Portzline drops us.

I find it ironic that you castigate Isles fans for ignoring the Avs needs, yet propose a deal that ignores Boston's needs.

Boston doesn't need an expensive C. Boston does need it's cheap young NHL ready D.

So while of course Duchene is worth Carlo + (or + +) in value, it makes zero sense for the other team.

What are you yelling at him for? It's your GM that's calling for Duchene, go stand outside his office and start screaming if you need to scream at someone.

You should probably not read these boards if that bothers you.

:laugh: good point

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Hamonic doesn't score goals, they need an offensive dman. And the pick would be 25th-31st with Duchene on their team. Try again buddy, bad deal...

It would have been the 15th pick in this year's draft . . . don't jump on others if you can't get the facts right either

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
This overly accentuates the positive and completely ignores recent negatives like:
  • a career-low season in which he appeared to quit on his team
  • knee injuries that suggest that "skates like the wind" is potentially a thing of the past
  • reaching actual #1C levels of point production only twice in an eight-year career (the last time being three years ago)
Things like this will sometimes limit what the market is willing to pay. This is a phenomenon we know well - see: Johansen, Ryan. (Of course, said negatives are also frequently what gets such a player onto the market in the first place.)

* * *​

It's good to have dreams.
pat.gif

Right back at you.

You're dreaming if you think you'll get Duchene for the garbage that's being suggested in this thread.

It will be Murray + Carlson + at minimum.

If it was anything less a trade would have already happened. :laugh:

kingdoughty

Jan 10, 2009
It would have been the 15th pick in this year's draft . . . don't jump on others if you can't get the facts right either

15th pick in this years draft is equivalent to a 2nd rounder in next years. At least you're not disputing the fact Hamonic doesn't score goals... that's a good start

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Snow made an offer and walked away, as he should. I see the other GM's doing the same shortly.

That offer was debunked. Never happened.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers

A top 4 defenseman over 25. Love that you tried to gloss over that one. Move on buddy you don't have the pieces. Spend your energy fretting over JT leaving.

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
So then he isn't traded...

Holy crap, why is that so difficult to understand. He DOES NOT HAVE to be traded this offseason for crap islanders offers. Supposedly Sakic had to tell Snow to stop coming over to the Avs table at the draft. You guys just don't give up.

Got news for you, I'm an Isles fan and I do NOT want Duchene.

I think a player like RyJo is VASTLY better, and would rather look at a more consistent option. Plus the NYI need a dominant wing not another center.

Sakic can wait on his hands for the next 2 years and get crap for Duchene for all I care.

What I do expect is Sakic will be fired next year, and a better GM will start pushing for someone to make the offers made before that Sakic rejected, but the NYI and the others will say "too late" because Duchene will only have a year left, so they'll just try to grab him as a FA.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
It's possible. But he's a professional athlete, and he's playing for his next contract right now. It's in everybody's best interest if he isn't checked out.

Everybody's best interest? When has that ever been the motivator? You have this guy on the ledge for a year. He's asking himself, Sakic thinks I'm worth this much in trade but won't pay me? Yet he won't let me go to a club that wants me, Sakic is holding back my career.

That plays real nice is the mind of a so called star player.

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006

No thanks, uh, Buddy. Not interested in overpaying for Duchene. Let some other team do that, although I doubt they will either.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
What I do expect is Sakic will be fired next year, and a better GM will start pushing for someone to make the offers made before that Sakic rejected, but the NYI and the others will say "too late" because Duchene will only have a year left, so they'll just try to grab him as a FA.

But... Everyone told us he would have MORE value if a new contract could be negotiated. Are you saying everyone else is wrong now? Peanut gallery needs to make up their mind here.

I would like to point out I have yet to see a 'we will just wait until they're a free agent' work out for anyone stating that. There are plenty of better destinations than NYI as a free agent. You have to take the gamble, prove why they should stay and then extend them. Otherwise you need a more attractive destination. Not that the Avs aren't in the same boat right now.

Avalanche Risk

Jun 18, 2017
That is an ask. That is not a price we will meet. Not unless something is added to Duchene. It is y'alls prerogative to set such a price, but we are not obligated to buy.

You can pretend to negotiate on behalf of CBJ if you want. No one here can stop you. But a Duchene for Carlsson deal would immediately be considered one of the top 3 worst NHL trades of all time. I would expect it to only look worse over time, though I obviously can't predict the future.

For that reason alone (i.e. appearances), you can rest assured that Sakic won't be dealing Duchene for Carlsson as the centerpiece.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Right back at you.

You're dreaming if you think you'll get Duchene for the garbage that's being suggested in this thread.

It will be Murray + Carlson + at minimum.

If it was anything less a trade would have already happened. :laugh:

Murray + the Karlson we would part with just became a LVK. There are many fans on both sides that don't want this trade to go down. I for one don't think we have an extra quality Dman, let alone 2. We have a very good Dcore, we are not loaded with that extra prospect that needs an opening. If you guys want to talk about McKinnon that is a different story.

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia
Got news for you, I'm an Isles fan and I do NOT want Duchene.

I think a player like RyJo is VASTLY better, and would rather look at a more consistent option. Plus the NYI need a dominant wing not another center.

Sakic can wait on his hands for the next 2 years and get crap for Duchene for all I care.

Surely that has nothing to do with a fact that Johansen plays on a Stanley Cup Finalist team, while Duchene on the worst team. You probably felt the same 3 years ago too, when Colorado were actually good team for a moment and Duchene actually was more productive than Johansen.:sarcasm:

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Everybody's best interest? When has that ever been the motivator? You have this guy on the ledge for a year. He's asking himself, Sakic thinks I'm worth this much in trade but won't pay me? Yet he won't let me go to a club that wants me, Sakic is holding back my career.

That plays real nice is the mind of a so called star player.

Won't pay him? Sakic is paying him $6m this year.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Defense. Better defense helps to score more goals.

I hope Boston won't trade Carlo.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Really starting to think Duchene goes nowhere. Hard to get 70-point player value after last year, and that seems to be what Colorado wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad