Ehlers vs. Rantanen

Who would you rather have?

• Total voters

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Some young players end up in a position where they get to be key players nearly off the gates, while others end up in stacked teams fighting for ice time. It can get difficult to compare them based on production alone, which by the way is like a currency here at @HFBoards - the more points the bigger the e-value. It's not that simple at all. I remember when Barkov jumped to NHL he was pretty instantly Panther's first line center, because he had no real competition. Rantanen has been in a similar place, but then again you cannot make an argument that he hasn't deserved the minutes. He has entirely and rewards the trust with points. There are other factors to consider as well, such as who happens to be the coach. Some have more prejudice towards youngsters than others, then some demand results and whip the prospects for every single mistake while at the same time giving the veterans longer leash and benefit of a doubt. Anyway, as I said Rantanen's season has been phenomenal and even more so if you take the age into consideration. He's been the real deal and right now is the better player.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Well yes, the point was to share an opinion. What was the point of you bringing up anyone other than the two listed in the poll? I imagine it was to share an opinion.

I doubt you’ve seen half of these kids enough to really build an informed opinion on who’s better than who, I doubt most have, so basing it upon the numbers it indicates that no, they aren’t on a different tier.

And while development isn’t linear, none of these other kids have an advantage quite as large as a McDavid, or Bergeron and Marchand to amplify their totals. Well, Rantanen has magically gone PPG in the same season Mackinnons broke out, must be coincidental:sarcasm:. Matthews has been injured this year and what you know, Nylander isn’t producing as much... also completely unrelated:sarcasm:.

So no, I completely disagree with you that they are on different tiers.
Agreed!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad