Ehlers vs. Rantanen

Who would you rather have?

• Total voters

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
He’s having a great year I admit that. But you can’t just look at points to determine who’s better.
I also don’t think he’ll repeat this next year.

What else are you supposed to look at? More specifically, what else are those other players doing this year that make them comfortably in a tier above Rantanen?

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
He’s having a great year I admit that. But you can’t just look at points to determine who’s better.
I also don’t think he’ll repeat this next year.

Ok if points aren’t telling the whole story what is everyone there doing better than Rantanen?

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Are we all just conveniently ignoring that Rantanen plays 2 min more that Ehlers on average and pp1 versus Ehlers pp2? Ehlers also has better possession numbers with less Ozone starts... and that's not even talking about the dysfunctional line Ehlers has spent the majority of the season on. I think it's a lot closer than this poll makes it seem!

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Ok if points aren’t telling the whole story what is everyone there doing better than Rantanen?

They aren't getting carried by MacKinnon, who's only good because he plays with all time greats like Rantanen & Landeskog, who are only good because of MacKinnon

p874K.gif

Hulide

Jul 12, 2017
Are we all just conveniently ignoring that Rantanen plays 2 min more that Ehlers on average and pp1 versus Ehlers pp2? Ehlers also has better possession numbers with less Ozone starts... and that's not even talking about the dysfunctional line Ehlers has spent the majority of the season on. I think it's a lot closer than this poll makes it seem!
Agree the Funny part is Ehlers have been on a line with bad chemistry all year.. despide that he has 27 goals with low TOI.. I See the argument from Some of the Finnish posters with the chemistry between Laine and Little but dont See the same argument for ehlers year with Little? This is alot closer.. I can understand people See Rantanen doing great with Mackinnon... but in the future I still See Ehlers potential being bigger :) but its close.. oh well im Also Really high on Nylander and Ehlers from the 2014 draft!! But to all Finnish/laine fans the glove is off ;) the war has started ;) just kidding I understand you ;)

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Ehlers is definitely not my favorite, though a very good player.

I don’t think Rantanen is on the same tier as ehlers, Nylander, pastrnak, draisatl and the likes, and people talking about him like he’s some kind of superstar makes him overrated IMO.

Ehlers isn't on the same tier as Pasta.

This is Rantanen.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Ehlers isn't on the same tier as Pasta.

This is Rantanen.

Pasta & Leon are both a notch above the Mikko/Ehlers/Nylander/Marner tier for me, at least for now. That second tier could certainly close the gap, but atm I don't think they will. Though the gap between Mikko & Leon is mostly based on Leon's ability to play Center...and german-ness...otherwise they have similar skill, creativity, size, two-way excellence, etc.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Bold statement. I think Ehlers has very similar numbers if he plays three seasons with Bergeron and Marchand...

Pasta was amazing before Marchand became a star *shrug*

Ehlers could become as good, but he's got a ways to go to get there and it's a big ask; even of a great young talent. Mikko is currently having a PPG+ sophomore season and I still don't think he'll be quite as good as Pasta. Even though I've been calling him a Wheeler/Voracek hybrid for 3 years now

Reactions: Ippenator

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Pasta & Leon are both a notch above the Mikko/Ehlers/Nylander/Marner tier for me, at least for now. That second tier could certainly close the gap, but atm I don't think they will. Though the gap between Mikko & Leon is mostly based on Leon's ability to play Center...and german-ness...otherwise they have similar skill, creativity, size, two-way excellence, etc.

Yep, but with another similar season Mikko would raise him to the same tier. He's well on his way there but want to see a bigger sample size. As I do with all the young players before raising them to the elite tier.
Bold statement. I think Ehlers has very similar numbers if he plays three seasons with Bergeron and Marchand...

I watch and have watched both Bruins and Jets games. Pasta is more of a game changer than Ehlers.
Ehlers is great, but Pasta is a tier ahead.

Reactions: Ippenator

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Yep, but with another similar season Mikko would raise him to the same tier. He's well on his way there but want to see a bigger sample size. As I do with all the young players before raising them to the elite tier.

I watch and have watched both Bruins and Jets games. Pasta is more of a game changer than Ehlers.
Ehlers is great, but Pasta is a tier ahead.

I'll agree to disagree :D

Reactions: QuietContrarian

sadpanda

May 19, 2016
Stockholm
Ehlers is definitely not my favorite, though a very good player.

I don’t think Rantanen is on the same tier as ehlers, Nylander, pastrnak, draisatl and the likes, and people talking about him like he’s some kind of superstar makes him overrated IMO.

I like Ehlers. But what does Ehlers do to put himself a tier above a player like Rantanen?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad