Injury Report: Ehlers out indefinitely with eye injury

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Yeah, but hindsight is always 20/20.

That's what I don't like about the NHL and the health of it's players. They always seem to wait till the worst has already happened instead of trying to be proactive and preventing something that will eventually happen.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
That's what I don't like about the NHL and the health of it's players. They always seem to wait till the worst has already happened instead of trying to be proactive and preventing something that will eventually happen.

You should take that up with the PA. Look how hard it was for the league to get the PA to agree to grandfather in visors in the first place. They raised a bit of a stink when the flames wanted all their players to wear Kevlar socks as well.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
You should take that up with the PA. Look how hard it was for the league to get the PA to agree to grandfather in visors in the first place. They raised a bit of a stink when the flames wanted all their players to wear Kevlar socks as well.

Yep the PA is pretty moronic,

don't mess with our equipment making it all safe and stuff and don't suspend that guy as much as you should just because he scrambled another guy's brains because he threw a dirty hit.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Yikes if he doesn't have a visor and that hits him directly in the eye who knows what could have happened. Thankfully he will be fine long term and now tank commander Pavs will have even more help with tank lieutenant's Halischuk and Lipon coming to his aide.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I wonder if Maurice is extra cautious because his career ended with an eye injury.
Hopefully Ehlers is healthy very soon.

folix

Jul 24, 2011
For all you guys saying that visor did more harm then good, yeah...fractured orbital bone and a detached retina is soooooooo much better. Visor even though it broke probably saved his career.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
For all you guys saying that visor did more harm then good, yeah...fractured orbital bone and a detached retina is soooooooo much better. Visor even though it broke probably saved his career.

Maybe, maybe not. We can't say one way or the other. Depends on where it specifically hit him and tv replays won't be good enough for that.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I think NHL should be having players play with full cages like NCAA. Much safer, the only reason I can think of to make players play with visors is purely for marketing purposes

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa

You are making an assumption that it would have hit him in the eye without a visor.

folix

Jul 24, 2011
I think NHL should be having players play with full cages like NCAA. Much safer, the only reason I can think of to make players play with visors is purely for marketing purposes

I recently tried a cage again in a rec game from a visor I couldn't see **** all it was awful

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I recently tried a cage again in a rec game from a visor I couldn't see **** all it was awful

You have to grow up with it. The kids that have been wearing full cages from the time they started playing have no problem.

And there in lies a massive hurdle with any kind of cage. The players will never go for it.

Same thing was said when the players never wore helmets, and then the half-visor... If the NHL ever decides to take player safety seriously, you will see the players in full cages one day. The only thing stopping it is the stigma that somehow you are a wimp if you wear protection.

folix

Jul 24, 2011
I believe Wheeler tried it for a game didnt he? I noticed the next game he went back to a visor jaw protector hybrid.

gbill2004*

Sep 23, 2011
You have to grow up with it. The kids that have been wearing full cages from the time they started playing have no problem.

Same thing was said when the players never wore helmets, and then the half-visor... If the NHL ever decides to take player safety seriously, you will see the players in full cages one day. The only thing stopping it is the stigma that somehow you are a wimp if you wear protection.

NHL likes promoting their players, and it's more difficult to do that when their face is hidden behind a cage.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Perreault-Scheifele-Wheeler
Armia-Lowry-Dano
Thorburn-Burmistrov-Stafford
Halischuk-Copp-Lipon

That lineup is scary bad

*guess at lines

Woooza. Thats bad enough to compete with the Leafs :amazed: "Unfortunately" we still have a healthy top 6 D corp.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Your vision is reduced a fair bit with a cage. Yes it's possible to play with one obviously, but players are not going to be happy with a rule that hurts their ability to play. Your peripherals are quite a bit worse. With how fast the NHL game is every little advantage matters. It obviously wouldn't effect a player like Thorburn as much as someone like Wheeler, players with great vision on the ice will not want to lose that advantage. Obviously it's not equaling that out of anything ridiculous, but like I said every little advantage matter at the speed and skill the NHL guys play at.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
I really hope that he dodged the bullet on this one and that it has no effect on his very promising career.

Amazing that a partially deflected shot can break a visor like that.

I'm pretty sure Frans Nielsen doesn't want to be the guy who destroyed the future of Danish hockey.

Ehlers isnt the only guy shaping our future.

There are kids coming that are just as good as him. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad