Confirmed with Link: Egor Yakovlev signed to a one-year, entry-level contract

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Now that it's final, I wonder if the Devils were more willing to move Rykov because they preferred Yakovlev.

If what he said is true, it seems like the Devils have had interest on him for quite a few years now.

Reactions: OmNomNom

devsfan4life

Aug 13, 2007
FL
Remember when we signed Butcher? Most thought he'd be #1 D in the AHL for a full season or a 6/7 D at best in the NHL. Look what he turned into this season.

You just never know how it'll all play out. I'm sure they'll add Yakovlev to the mix and give him every opportunity to succeed/make the team.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
i dont know anything about this kid/guy but i am optimistic with shero and company and have faith that he will provide something at the nhl level. ask me about this type of signing 4 years ago? i would've bet on the guy being a bust.

Reactions: theoptimist

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
if you scout a guy for 3 years like that i'm sure the devils will give him every chance in camp.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
The best info I could find on him:

Yakovlev, 26, is yet another talented member of KHL powerhouse SKA. Teammates like Ilya Kovalchuk, Nikita Gusev, Sergei Plotnikov and Mikko Koskinen are among many on the roster who could sign in the NHL this summer, but Yakovlev seems to be closest to a concrete deal. Yakovlev lost games due to injury in 2017-18, but last season set career highs with 21 points and a +30 rating in 56 games. He made up for some missed time this year with a strong showing for Russia at the Olympics as well, skating on the team’s top pair. A high-energy two-way defenseman, Yakovlev certainly appears to have the talent to push for a regular role in the NHL

Written about a month ago on Devils close to deal with defenseman Yegor Yakovlev

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I don't expect much offense out of him based on his KHL numbers, but hopefully he's solid enough defensively to make the team and help us.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I've his named spelled differently a few times.

Ygor Yakavlev
Egor Lakavlev
Mozik Dyblenko

flat,1000x1000,075,f.u5.jpg

Reactions: Bleedred

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Remember when we signed Butcher? Most thought he'd be #1 D in the AHL for a full season or a 6/7 D at best in the NHL. Look what he turned into this season.

You just never know how it'll all play out. I'm sure they'll add Yakovlev to the mix and give him every opportunity to succeed/make the team.
That's not really a good comparison. Butcher was 22, physically undersized, and making the jump from an amateur league. We knew he had the talent, he was just raw as hell and ended up ahead of schedule.

Yakovlev will be 27 in September and has never really been a standout on one of the best teams in his league. There's no harm in signing a guy like this and I hope he turns into something, but that's reallllyyy stretching it.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
That's not really a good comparison. Butcher was 22, physically undersized, and making the jump from an amateur league. We knew he had the talent, he was just raw as hell and ended up ahead of schedule.

Yakovlev will be 27 in September and has never really been a standout on one of the best teams in his league. There's no harm in signing a guy like this and I hope he turns into something, but that's reallllyyy stretching it.

He was supposedly a top guy for SKA last year. Struggled with injuries this year but still played first-pairing minutes on the Olympic team that won gold.

It's hard to gauge what that really means as far as NHL potential. KHL seems to be really hit or miss in that regard in how play styles transfer over and whether or not players are able to adapt to a different culture, team, and league.

He's much more comparable to an older version of Zaitsev then guys like Dyblenko, Mozik, or Auvitu that DD is bringing up. Remains to be seen where that takes him.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ

Hope there is good Russian cuisine in Binghamton

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad