Eero Somervuori

Status
Not open for further replies.

kacz

Jul 1, 2003
www.youtube.com
I heard this guy was nicknamed "Lilttle Selanne" back home in Finland. The Tampa Bay Lighnting recently signed him and he's already 24 years old. This guy supposibly boasts tremendous offensive skills.

Does anybody have any idea where he's playing right now? And why not the NHL?

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
He's playing in Hamilton of the AHL right now. Hasn't lit it up there exactly, but he's not getting great icetime either. Tampa not having their own affiliate is probably not helping him. My guess is, he'd be behind a few other guys (esp. Willis and possibly Keefe) if a callup was needed. There are threads about him on the Tampa board and track of his season in the Minor League Hockey thread there.

The mention of Eero's name causes strong emotions in some people for some reason.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
He's a load of trash. No mincing words. For an player his age who was coming in with such high expectations, he should own the AHL, but is instead being outplayed badly by guys 2, 3 and 4 years younger than him.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
Sotnos said:
Exactly. Not that he shouldn't step up and command a spot on the team, but helping him develop isn't Hamilton's priority (nor should it be).

Hamilton isn't owned by the Habs. The priority of ownership is to win, not develop. If that includes having Somervuori on the first line because he is one of the 3 best forwards, he will be on the first line.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Well I've been to a few Bulldogs games, I've listened to most of their games on the radio, but in the 3 games I was at, Somervuori did little to impress me at all. But to be fair, I paid little attention to him. He played on the 3rd line, and got a regular shift. played with Olvedstad (sp?) who wasn't that impressive either outside good speed and hussle. But I guess Coach Jarvis saw has been happy with Somervouri's play, as he was moved up to the 2nd line the other night on a line with Higgins and Perezhogin.

Tampa fans, don't take my comments as a knock on your guys, to be honest I don't care about them, so there was no reason for me to pay them much attention. I only comment on what I saw, but it means little. I thought Homlqvist was brutal but it was only one game, and he was coming off injury. But I really liked Svitov, who showed a mean streak, and good strenght.

petec1978*

He got all those points last year by leeching Santala and Miettinen here in Finland.

Is that why he had MORE points the year before when Santala and Miettinen WEREN'T on his line? I mean, if you knew ANYTHING about Finnish hockey and HPK at the time you would know Santala only played 17 games because of injury two years ago and that season just so happenend to be Somervuori's career season in the SM-Liiga. :shakehead

Its good to see that the geniuses on this board are long on bluster and short on facts when it comes to this player. I'll bet you've never seen him play either.

Besides, from what I've heard he has an attitude problem (or was atleast) and can be an arrogant POS.

Source? Or are you just pulling that out of your butt? I've heard nothing but praises for Eero's work ethic and when you consider he's something like a +5 playing on a checking line and penalty killing for Hamilton, which allegedly was something the stereotypical little European scoring forward couldn't do, I think it says a little something about his character.

He's a load of trash. No mincing words.

Why? Because the coach of MONTREAL'S affiliate who draws his paycheck from MONTREAL'S organization won't play him, a LIGHTNING prospect, more than 14 minutes a night on the Bulldogs' third line?

Could you be any more ignorant?

This is the same obnoxious garbage I keep seeing all over HF... a bunch of people who have never seen Somervuori play a shift and don't know the circumstances he is in acting like experts and trashing the guy. Its ridiculous. So please, for the love of God, STFU unless you've seen him play "Die Hard" and "Psycho Joe".

-Pete Choquette

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
petec1978 said:
This is the same obnoxious garbage I keep seeing all over HF... a bunch of people who have never seen Somervuori play a shift and don't know the circumstances he is in acting like experts and trashing the guy. Its ridiculous. So please, for the love of God, STFU unless you've seen him play "Die Hard" and "Psycho Joe".

-Pete Choquette

I've seen him play a number of times this season both on TV and in Hamilton. Not impressed at all. A couple of the other lightening prospects look pretty good, but Somervuori does not. And like I said before, Hamilton is not owned by the Habs. The ownership wants the best players playing regardless if they are Hamilton property, Hab property or Lightening property.

petec1978*

A couple of the other lightening prospects look pretty good,

One. There's only ONE other Lightning prospect in Hamilton right now and Olvestad has worse numbers than Somervuori does and I don't see you running around calling him a "load of trash". So quit lying... you wouldn't know the guy if he came up and bit you on the backside.

-Pete Choquette

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
petec1978 said:
One. There's only ONE other Lightning prospect in Hamilton right now and Olvestad has worse numbers than Somervuori does and I don't see you running around calling him a "load of trash". So quit lying... you wouldn't know the guy if he came up and bit you on the backside.

-Pete Choquette

Believe what you want to believe, it doesn't really matter to me. Most of the regulars on this site know I'm not a BS'er. You obviously need to grow up. You act as if I insulted a family member or something. Get a friggen grip Junior.

I guess you never heard of Svitov who spent 11 games with the Bulldogs and looked decent and Olvestad has looked better than Somervuori in the games I saw. And yes IMO Somervuori is a load of trash and will never amount to anything in the NHL. At least Olvestad has a bit of size going for him. There is more to judging a prospect than simply looking at numbers. I guess you'd take Somervuori over Perezoghin since he has better numbers :shakehead

For some reason I thought Plante was TB property.

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Psycho Joe said:
Believe what you want to believe, it doesn't really matter to me. Most of the regulars on this site know I'm not a BS'er. You obviously need to grow up. You act as if I insulted a family member or something. Get a friggen grip Junior.

I guess you never heard of Svitov who spent 11 games with the Bulldogs and looked decent and Olvestad has looked better than Somervuori in the games I saw. And yes IMO Somervuori is a load of trash and will never amount to anything in the NHL. At least Olvestad has a bit of size going for him. There is more to judging a prospect than simply looking at numbers. I guess you'd take Somervuori over Perezoghin since he has better numbers :shakehead

For some reason I thought Plante was TB property.

Plante was a FA signing, he played for Grand Rapids I believe. Didn't look that good or bad in the games I was at. Bulldogs are on tv Sunday at 3 pm I think or 330.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
Psycho Joe said:
Hamilton isn't owned by the Habs. The priority of ownership is to win, not develop. If that includes having Somervuori on the first line because he is one of the 3 best forwards, he will be on the first line.
Yeah, we heard that last year too in Springfield, yet our players got passed over for Phoenix prospects as a matter of routine.

Sorry, but the AHL team, regardless of actual ownership, is in place to help develop their NHL affiliates' prospects. Winning and development are more like 1A and 1B than 1st and 2nd priorities.

Sampe

Feb 27, 2002
Vantaa
DieHard said:
Somervuori got his best PPG -ratios while playing with Miettinen and Santala but he was always considered the least talented of the 3.

No he wasn't, he was considered the MOST talented of the three back in the 90's. He dominated the 1998 WJC along with his linemates Olli Jokinen and Niklas Hagman, scoring 3+6=9 points in the tournament.

That said, right now there's no doubt that Miettinen and Santala are better players.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Sotnos said:
Yeah, we heard that last year too in Springfield, yet our players got passed over for Phoenix prospects as a matter of routine.

Sorry, but the AHL team, regardless of actual ownership, is in place to help develop their NHL affiliates' prospects. Winning and development are more like 1A and 1B than 1st and 2nd priorities.

The Bulldogs are about winning first and foremost. They are the top team in the AHL right now, and have a great chance to get back to the championship if they continue to play well. Of course they are there to develop the Habs prospects, but this team has a chance to win it all, so Jarvis will do what it takes to win. Guys like Milroy, Archer, Ferland have seen limited ice time, though the first two are returning from injury, but they have seen limited action in the games they played, even though they are some of our better prospects. But with so many 1st year pro's on the team, Jarvis gives the top ice time to the top players.

petec1978*

Somervuori got his best PPG -ratios while playing with Miettinen and Santala

Wrong again. He had .857 PPG in '01-'02 playing with guys like Perrin and .804 PPG in '02-'03 playing with Santala and Miettinen. The whole "Somervuori leached off of Santala and Miettinen" line is total BS.

What the hell is your problem Pete

My problem is people running around the internet calling a player "trash" and trying to assassinate his character by claiming the equipment manager for Jokerit or HPK hated his guts and thus he's some kind of arrogant punk.

You look at Perrin and Somervuori and point wise they were practically equal last year in the SM-Liiga. The Lightning sent Perrin to Hershey, where they've been giving he and Willis scoring line and power play IT all season long. Somervuori, on the other hand, gets 14 mins a night and no power play time on the 3rd line for Hamilton. Perrin has 21 points in 22 games. You put Somervuori on Hershey and I guarantee his stats would be double what they are right now, and this conversation wouldn't even be happening.

-Pete Choquette

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
petec1978 said:
Somervuori, on the other hand, gets 14 mins a night and no power play time on the 3rd line for Hamilton. Perrin has 21 points in 22 games. You put Somervuori on Hershey and I guarantee his stats would be double what they are right now, and this conversation wouldn't even be happening.

-Pete Choquette

Well I'd love to send Somervuori to Hershey, as there's just too many forwards in Hamilton and not enough ice time for some of the rookies. But Somervuori was moved up to the 2nd line, but I think it was more cause Gratton was injured.

As for PP time, well you have Dagenais Gratton Balej as the top line and top PP line. Gratton leads the AHL in scoring and Dagenais is 2nd, with Balej having a career year, so no one is going to take their ice time. Now Hossa has Dagenais's spot, but LW is a little thin, and Hossa was a top scorer in the AHL last year. Then you have Higgins Plekanec Perezhogin, who are all highly skilled, and with the execption of Perezhogin, the other two are racking up the points scoring big goals or makig big plays. Perezhogin has the most skill of any player in Hamilton, IMO, and Jarvis likes to use him, as he has a wicked shot and likes to use it.

As for Hershey, I'd bet his stats wouldn't be double, but who can say?

petec1978*

Perezhogin has the most skill of any player in Hamilton, IMO, and Jarvis likes to use him

Jarvis HAS to use him. He draws his paycheck from the Montreal organization and Perezhogin is one of their key prospects. Come hell or high water Perezhogin is going to get better opportunities than the Tampa prospects. That's not a slight against Jarvis or the Bulldogs organization, that's just the reality of that situation. That's why Tampa needs its own affiliate DESPERATELY because for years we've seen some natuarally talented guys like Afanasenkov, for instance, wither on another team's affilate's 3rd and 4th line because their priority ISN'T to hand out ice time to develop Tampa's players. That's why Andreas Holmqvist had to be reassigned from Hamilton and that's part of the reason Svitov was recalled.

Again, that's not meant as an attack on Hamilton or the Montreal organization. They're just looking out for their interests. But don't even pretend like Somervuori, or any of the Lightning players for that matter, is on an even playing field for IT as the Montreal kids.

And now that Willis has been recalled by Tampa, I'll bet the Bears could use Eero more than they could Martin Cibak.

-Pete Choquette

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
petec1978 said:
Jarvis HAS to use him. He draws his paycheck from the Montreal organization and Perezhogin is one of their key prospects. Come hell or high water Perezhogin is going to get better opportunities than the Tampa prospects. That's not a slight against Jarvis or the Bulldogs organization, that's just the reality of that situation. That's why Tampa needs its own affiliate DESPERATELY because for years we've seen some natuarally talented guys like Afanasenkov, for instance, wither on another team's affilate's 3rd and 4th line because their priority ISN'T to hand out ice time to develop Tampa's players. That's why Andreas Holmqvist had to be reassigned from Hamilton and that's part of the reason Svitov was recalled.

Again, that's not meant as an attack on Hamilton or the Montreal organization. They're just looking out for their interests. But don't even pretend like Somervuori, or any of the Lightning players for that matter, is on an even playing field for IT as the Montreal kids.

And now that Willis has been recalled by Tampa, I'll bet the Bears could use Eero more than they could Martin Cibak.

-Pete Choquette

I don't agree at all. They do not have to play Perezhogin, if he's not getting it done, he will sit. He has been benched once, but he genrates a lot of scoring chances, which can't be said for many of the other players. You have your own opinions, but I don't agree with you, nor do I think you understand the situation. This teams goal in winning first and foremost.

But the Tampa prospects don't deserve to be on the top lines. Olvestad did absolutely nothing in the games I was at, except he looked good on the PK. To me, Svitov was clearly the more productive and more involved prospect from Tampa. He showed a lot of strength, and was able to produce. Olvestad hasn't been able to produce much at all, and is sadly being outplayed by Dwyer who does nothing but run into people or the boards. Somervuori has at least produced at times, and he's been decent on the PK and generally doesn't look out of place in his own end, but his size and strength would be a concern, cause I never saw him throw one check. I will be taking in a few more Dogs games, so I'll try and pay more attention, but Homlqvist was brutal at the one game I was at where he played. He has really good size and skating, but seemed lost out there and was the direct result of one goal against. I'm sure he's a great prospect, but he didn't look it that night, and the Dogs defense isn't their strong point. As for Svitov he did get a good bit of ice time, but he also took some stupid unneccessary penalties, and Jarvis doesn't go for that. He's benched a number of players for such things, but I never saw him bench Svitov, whereas he's benched Komisarek, Perezhogin.

I know what you mean though, Jarvis should play the Habs prospects over the Tampa ones, but this team has a shot to win it all, and Jarvis will ice the lineup that he thinks he will win with plain and simple.

eh

I honestly don't know how Eero ever got any hype in the NA before the start of the season (people calling him "probably the most highly touted prospect to come to North America this year" etc.) I've followed him since he was playing in the Jokerit juniors where he absolutely dominated. He was never able to achieve the same in SM-liiga level. He was rushed too early with too much hype to the SM-liiga team of Jokerit. He tried too much, didn't succeed and lost his confidence. He was also used to being a "superstar" (translates to "good player, but a cocky sob") in the juniors and growing up seemed to be harder for him than to many others. I was happy that he found himself again in Hämeenlinna.

He was, for the past two years, one of the top forwards in the league, no question about that. He did benefit from playing with good linemates, but he wasn't "leeching". He's probably not as complete as a hockey player as Miettinen and Santala are, but has other attributes he's better at than his former linemates, pure scoring touch being one of them.

When he signed with the Lightning, I thought (and I think most of "us" in Finland did) that his chances of making an impact in the NHL would be pretty slim. Not good enough offensively to make the top six, not reliable enough defensively to be used in a checking role and not gritty enough to be a 4th line sparkplug.

His current situation must be terrible: playing for the AHL affiliate of another organization where the whole coaching staff is appointed by that organization which has no motivation to develop him into a better player. I doesn't do it any easier for him that it's his rookie year in NA and he's still adjusting to things both on and off the ice. Hopefully they'll find a way to get him to Hershey, where he would at least have someone to talk Finnish with (Mikko Viitanen) and someone he has played with before (Eric Perrin).

petec1978*

They do not have to play Perezhogin

You're right, Jarvis is going to tell Montreal, the team that pays him, his boss, "I'm not going to play your 1st round pick, I'm going to play Tampa's 7th rounder instead." No wait, nope. He's not going to say that. He's going to play Perezhogin and keep his mouth shut because he enjoys having gainful employment. :D

Olvestad couldn't find his way in the offensive end of the rink with a map. That's why its not entirely fair to say Eero is a "piece of trash" when he's only getting 14 mins a night and almost all of them have been with a guy like Olvestad. Eero is great on the power play, always was with HPK. Its his bread and butter because he gets a little more space to operate with which is good for a little guy. That's why its so detrimental to his numbers he never gets PP time from the Bulldogs... and why I think if he were to move over to Hershey right now and get that PP time it would really help his numbers.

Holmqvist IS pretty terrible defensively but he's great on the power play, as evidenced by his 3 preseason goals. If Tampa had its own affiliate he'd get IT but right now I understand why Jarvis pressboxed the guy rather than playing him... because it makes no sense for a Montreal coach to try and ride out the rough spots with a Lightning prospect. That's why the Lightning need their own affiliate.

Not good enough offensively to make the top six, not reliable enough defensively to be used in a checking role and not gritty enough to be a 4th line sparkplug.

The one promising thing about Eero's play in Hamilton is that he HAS been playing the checking line and PK roles nobody thought he could play and he's doing pretty well at them. I thought Eero's career was dead 3 years ago but every time you count that little booger out he rises back up. I won't be stupid enough to bet against him again... and I would recommend you all not count him out either.

-Pete Choquette

Hitman*

Hokay said:
Yeah, But he never play. Canadiens player are the priority in this team.

I disagree. The teams goal is to win, not play Canadiens first. its the same with all AHL teams.

Look at Lowell. Its the Hurricanes affiliate but their top scorers are all Flames property and play alot. Because they are the better players and are making the team better.

If Somervuori was playing good, then he'd be on the first line with 2 Canadien prospects/property because he'd make them better too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad