Edmonton Vs Toronto (Defence)

Best group of Defencemen?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Klefbom is the best defenseman on both teams having a poor start to the season. Nurse has been our best defenseman this year but is still #4 on the healthy depth chart and would also be 4 on the Leafs.. Leafs have a solid group of 3 in Rielly, Zaitsev and Gardiner and a drop off after that.

Oilers,

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
Lol at the same typical Leaf haters that show up in every thread. People seem to ignore the fact that the main reason for the Leafs high G/A is Andersen playing like complete dog shit for all of October.

Since he's woken up, the Leafs D looks a lot better now (what a surprise), and I'd say is middle of the pack overall.

Edmonton's defence, and whole team, for the most part, truly sucks. Chia's really ruining a good thing there...

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Klefbom is the best defenseman on both teams having a poor start to the season. Nurse has been our best defenseman this year but is still #4 on the healthy depth chart and would also be 4 on the Leafs.. Leafs have a solid group of 3 in Rielly, Zaitsev and Gardiner and a drop off after that.

Oilers,

Hainsey is getting massively underrated in this thread with the way Oilers fans are dismissing him.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Lol at the same typical Leaf haters that show up in every thread. People seem to ignore the fact that the main reason for the Leafs high G/A is Andersen playing like complete dog **** for all of October.

the leafs don't have a high G/A, actually.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
This vote only shows how many Toronto fans there are...

Edmontons defense is clearly superior. Larsson is the best of all of them and then Klefbom and Rielly are even.

Yikes.

nah, its Rielly>Klefbom/Larsson/Gardiner/Zaitsev

Edmonton doesnt have a guy caple of putting up 50+ pt while playing against the top pairings

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
GA isn't a reliable way to look at defense. Goalies don't play defense.

so what is the most reliable way then?

last I checked, Talbot was more than a capable tender....so is he trash or is the edmonton D just super overrated?

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
True, it's lowered a lot these past couple of weeks.

Middle of the pack now. considering the leafs are the 2nd highest scoring team in the league and just a goal back of tampa, thats very good news

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Ya of course. Its only November. Remember the year after the Boston collapse you guys started really good and started collapsing in the new year? Maybe if it was February or March id be scared but nah i still expect the collapse.

Mhm i would tell you the teams are totally unrelated but judging by your username you don't get that concept...you still think it 1989 for your boys.

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
So in the Nylander vs Larkin and Schwartz threads both these players are killing Nylander this year but Leafs fans are dismissing it by saying its a hot streak yet Rielly has a good 5-6 games (where hes been hot garbage defensively before that) and Leafs fans are suddenly flooding the main boards. You cant make this stuff up

Here’s a fire post

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
204 vs 228

Ottawa is 2nd worst, though they have a dman, better than either team can't throw out here.
As I said: Have the better players fine, We'll just be the better team.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Hmm not sure. Ill break it down to 4 different sections and see if that tells us anything.

1. Goals against: main job of defense is to prevent goals.
2. Shots against. Less shots equal less chance of goals against.
3. Shot maps: from where on the ice are shots allowed? This can give a good picture of defensive ability, generally you would want the shots allowed to be mainly far from and to the perimeters of the goal.
4. Goalies, last line of defense and most important defensive player of the ice.

Section 1: Goals against
Toronto 202
Edmonton 227

Clear advantage going to toronto, the whole point of defense is to let in less goals in this simplified form.

Section 2: Shots against (per game)
Toronto 34.1
Edmonton 32.0

Advantage edmonton, less shots against means less chance for a goal scored against.

Section 3: Shot maps
Toronto
TOR

5v5

TOR

Pk
------------------------------------------------------------
Edmonton
EDM

5v5
EDM

Pk

Clear advantage: toronto. Leafs do let up alot of shots from the slot but other than than that most of the shots allowed are far from goal. Meanwhile edmonton defense seem to be cut and most shots are taken in prime position near the goal.

Section 4: Goalies
Toronto: Andersen: 58gp 33w 1955 SA .919% 2.79 GAA

Edmonton: Talbot: 57gp 26w 1736 SA .908 2.98 GAA

Advantage: Toronto slight advantage . My reasoning here is that yes andersen easily post better numbers with higher amount of shots faces, but... his team infront of him seems to be alot better at keeping the puck further from him so i would presume he is facing alot less high quality shots than talbot. Otherwise i would have put a much bigger advantage.

Conclusion
Torontos defense is handily better in my opinion judging from these sections. 2 negatives are the high amount of shots (which might not even be that negative as a miss is also a opportunity to gain possesion) and the high amount of shots in the high slot. Other than that it looks solid, especially conparing to edmonton.

Thanks for you time.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
This season I’d say Toronto for a few reasons:

1. Rielly is blossoming into a #1 D
2. Klefbom is absolutely terrible for some reason this year
3. No Sekera

Klefbom was playing injured the entire season, Nurse is blossomung into a #1 D, and Sekera is starting to return to his old form. With the emergence of Bear, I'd take the Oilers'

Reactions: GODreau13

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
204 vs 228

Ottawa is 2nd worst, though they have a dman, better than either team can't throw out here.
As I said: Have the better players fine, We'll just be the better team.

the problem with Ottawa is they have EK, then no one else thats top 4 quality. Chabots a nice young piece, and will develop into a solid top 4 guy. Ceci just isn't good enough. more like a #5 and the rest are #6-7 quality

the sens 3rd best dman (ceci) wouldnt even crack the leafs lineup. not really much more to say about that

Reactions: LeafsNation75

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
Rielly > Klefbom
Hainsey < Nurse
Zaitsev = Larsson
Gardiner > Sekera
Borgman > Benning
Carrick = Russell

Outside of Nurse, Toronto is better top to bottom. And I have a feeling that Dermott, who has a ridiculous 80 GF% in the AHL, will add to Toronto's depth very soon.
Good call on Dermott. Having 2nd round picks develope the way Dermott did is an ideal way to build a winning hockey team in the cap world.

PucksOnNet

Nov 12, 2017
Ya of course. Its only November. Remember the year after the Boston collapse you guys started really good and started collapsing in the new year? Maybe if it was February or March id be scared but nah i still expect the collapse.

Still of the opinion that the Leafs are missing the playoffs? It's late March, still waiting on that collapse?

Reactions: Brock Radunske
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->