News and Blog Report: Edmonton Sports Radio Thread - Part 5

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
Yup. It was a sad day when the Jungle left the 10am-1pm time slot. 12 straight hours of local programming is too much IMO. Fortunately for us clones, the show is available as a podcast for about $1/week.

God I was glad when they finally got rid of Jim Rome. Arrogant and annoying as hell. Did we really need you to repeat the same question 5 times in a row...in a row....5 times in a row....the same question in a row...5 times. Then block anyone who had a different opinion then you. Seriously he was promoting the idea that athletes should not shake hands with their opponent after a playoff series loss because Lebron didn't in 09 after a ECF loss to the Magic. He said that should be the norm. And lets not forget about how he viciously slandered the city of Edmonton with the Chris Pronger baby crib/furniture burning story. It was on the Jim Rome show that started. Terrible. Get him off the air for good.....and Bob McCowan too.

samiam

Oct 4, 2010
God I was glad when they finally got rid of Jim Rome. Arrogant and annoying as hell. Did we really need you to repeat the same question 5 times in a row...in a row....5 times in a row....the same question in a row...5 times. Then block anyone who had a different opinion then you. Seriously he was promoting the idea that athletes should not shake hands with their opponent after a playoff series loss because Lebron didn't in 09 after a ECF loss to the Magic. He said that should be the norm. And lets not forget about how he viciously slandered the city of Edmonton with the Chris Pronger baby crib/furniture burning story. It was on the Jim Rome show that started. Terrible. Get him off the air for good.....and Bob McCowan too.

I don't recall, but what were the issues with Bob McCowan again?

CM4

Oct 31, 2013
Edmonton
Dave Jamieson and his producer are just not good enough for my liking, they seem rattled that know one cares about anything other than Oilers so they are very sarcastic when it comes to the fans opinions and stories about the oilers are sarcasticly blown out of proportion. It’s a quick change to 630 ched at 12 for me.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
To me, on-air arrogance is not a deal-breaker when I decide whose show I choose to listen to. Just remember that a persona is a different thing than a personality. Part of what I enjoy about guys like Howard Stern, Jim Rome and Jason Gregor (my 3 current favourites) is that, if you're really paying attention, their arrogance is so obviously an act. Also, in the case of those 3 anyway, being an excellent interviewer helps draw me in as well.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
To me, on-air arrogance is not a deal-breaker when I decide whose show I choose to listen to. Just remember that a persona is a different thing than a personality. Part of what I enjoy about guys like Howard Stern, Jim Rome and Jason Gregor (my 3 current favourites) is that, if you're really paying attention, their arrogance is so obviously an act. Also, in the case of those 3 anyway, being an excellent interviewer helps draw me in as well.
Gregor is a terrible interviewer. You can tell he clearly has a list of questions and doesn't listen to the responses from his guest. He just gets the reply to his first question then on to the second instead of following up on the reply to the first question if something interesting is said.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I like Nielsen’s interviews but some of his on air tangents with Rishaug are hilarious. I’ve had plenty of good laughs in the morning listening to those two. Otherwise I just play podcasts of various hockey programs including Oilers Now and don’t listen to the radio much anymore tbh. Then I can listen to who I like, commercial free. The 1260 morning show I used to tune in regularly for.

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
I use to hate Jim Rome till he stood up for a caller with a studdering problem.People were calling in making fun of the poor guy and Jim Rome pretty much said if you don't like who call's in than kiss my a** ...

Reactions: Night Witch

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Gregor is a terrible interviewer. You can tell he clearly has a list of questions and doesn't listen to the responses from his guest. He just gets the reply to his first question then on to the second instead of following up on the reply to the first question if something interesting is said.

It drives me nuts when he asks a question that the guest had just answered in the previous question.

Example
Gregor - "Why do you think the Senators have been struggling so much for the past 10 games?"

Guest - "The key players for the Sens just haven't been performing. The Matt Duchene trade in particular has been a disaster and he's really struggled to fit into the lineup since joining the team. He's looked disinterested and hasn't been able to form any real chemistry with any of the Sens wingers thus far."

Gregor - "Matt Duchene was traded to the Senators around the time of the Sens descend. How has Duchene looked and why do you think he's struggling?"

Reactions: TB12

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Jim Rome is one of the those guys that is so full of himself and thinks he's so trendy, that he loves to hear the sound of his own voice. Wish Jim Everett would have really beat the crap out of him, lawsuit be damned.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006

Rome was pretty full of himself back in the 90s as he was rising to stardom. I wouldn't exactly call him humble now, but most of the bravado is feigned at this point. His show is one of a kind in its delivery. It's entertainment as much as anything. Even my girlfriend likes listening to Rome, you don't have to care about sports to find the program amusing. But Jim is a polarizing figure no doubt, the Jungle will never be everyone's cup of tea.

The issue I have with 1260 rolling out entirely local programming is that other than NHL and CFL, you don't really get much in the way of guests who are legitimate insiders when it comes to NFL, NCAA, NBA, and MLB that you get on CBS Sports Radio or ESPN Radio. But most listeners are content to discuss Oiler line combos all day long, which I find unfortunate, so 100% local/Oiler heavy programming is probably more appealing to the listener base.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Rome was pretty full of himself back in the 90s as he was rising to stardom. I wouldn't exactly call him humble now, but most of the bravado is feigned at this point. His show is one of a kind in its delivery. It's entertainment as much as anything. Even my girlfriend likes listening to Rome, you don't have to care about sports to find the program amusing. But Jim is a polarizing figure no doubt, the Jungle will never be everyone's cup of tea.

The issue I have with 1260 rolling out entirely local programming is that other than NHL and CFL, you don't really get much in the way of guests who are legitimate insiders when it comes to NFL, NCAA, NBA, and MLB that you get on CBS Sports Radio or ESPN Radio. But most listeners are content to discuss Oiler line combos all day long, which I find unfortunate, so 100% local/Oiler heavy programming is probably more appealing to the listener base.
Anytime anyone tries to go in a different direction people complain. I don't get how you can listen to the samething all day.

I remember last year something big happened in hockey. Jamieson flat out said we aren't talking about this as it's been beaten to death, I was so thankful.

All the shows with the exception of lowetide(he'll talk jays sometimes) will talk about more than just the Oilers, they just get blasted when they do and then Jamieson decides to read those comments on air which makes it worse.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
Of all of the local sports talk hosts on Edmonton radio, the one who reminds me the most of John Short in his prime is Dave Jamieson. Although not perfect, I appreciate his show as an alternative to Stauffer's Oilers Now airing at the same time.

When it comes to Lieutenant Eric as an on-air personality, there's plenty of work to be done. With him I find that less is more at this point. Eric's previous role as sidekick on Lowetide's show was just right for him.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I think Eric is a great guy but it's painful to listen to him sometimes. He sounds awkward, although he's good when he reads the scripted bits. Ewanyk is probably of a similar age but he sounds much more polished. My favourite duo is Lowe Tide and Ewanyk.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
If I were to rank TSN1260's younger 2nd banana guys I'd go with:
1. Connor Halley
2. Marc Majeau
3. Matthew Iwanyk
4. Lt. Eric
5. Tyler Yaremchuk

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
For me it's:
Matt Iwanyk
Marc Majeau by a wide margin

Connor Halley
Lt. Eric
Tyler Yaremchuk

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Has the misfortune to listen to a bit of The Hacks broadcast last week (forget which game) on the way home from work. Forgot how painful that can be. He made the sequel prior to the Oilers goal sound more exciting than the actual goal itself. Matter of fact, it took a second or 2 to even confirm in my mind that we had scored.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Iwanyk is awful. Terrible, whiny voice for radio and obstinate personality. Him and Tencer are the 2 worst radio personalities in the last number of years in Edmonton...those two together on 1260 (filling in) a few years back was my nightmare.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
For me, station wide my top 3 hosts, in order, are Struds, Lowe Tide and Iwanyk.

To each his own.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Dave Jamieson and his producer are just not good enough for my liking, they seem rattled that know one cares about anything other than Oilers so they are very sarcastic when it comes to the fans opinions and stories about the oilers are sarcasticly blown out of proportion. It’s a quick change to 630 ched at 12 for me.

A couple of sanctimonious jack asses if you ask me. I can't stand Dave Jamieson as a commentator. I don't mind Iwanyk as much, especially if he isn't feeding off Jamieson, but he has some ridiculous opinions too and i'm not a fan even if i think Jamieson may be my biggest issue with him. It's annoying because Stauffer is on at the opposite time, and although he sometimes albeit rarely has inside info he's just too much of an OEG ball licker and name dropping kiss ass for me to listen to without getting annoyed on occasion. I hate the Jamieson show, which is sad since i'd love to have the "Eskimo guy" show be good because i like CFL talk, so i end up settling for the show i don't care for if i keep it on the radio.

Dustin Nielsen isn't very funny on the morning show, and he sure as hell doesn't have a quality opinion on the finer details of sports, sometimes it's like listening to a 12 year old talk about sports and life, but at least he doesn't piss me off. Fraser added nothing so despite not wanting to see a guy lose his job it was nice to see Eric kind of get a promotion as he's clearly the funniest and most grounded person on that show. The only downfall to Eric's semi-promotion is i miss the chemistry he had with Lowetide. The morning show is meh.

Lowetides is the most reasonable and balanced host. He has good stories and is amusing at times too. I could do without him jokingly yelling but pobodys nerfect. Yaremchuck is like a deer in the headlights sometimes but he's not annoying nor uninformed so he's fine. It's a good show usually.

Gregor is usually allright, he has excellent guests, but sometimes he really pushes agendas way too hard and exaggerates things to try and make his point but his opinion is generally alright. Strudwick is amusing and has a good perspective, even if it's sometimes a little simplistic, so i like him especially compared to Brownlee who is a dolt. Majeau is just there. It's a good show with the guests really adding a ton of entertainment value.

McDynasty

Nov 11, 2013
I cringe a lot when listening to Stauffer interview people, but I still tune into the Oilers show everyday, Stauffer kind of grows on you and he's become a lovable lug over the years. It's a shame the morning guys on 1260 are minus 1, I really enjoyed them and particularly enjoyed the comedy so early in the morning. Another thing I really like is Struddy on Gregor's show. I wish he still did the Oilers post game show. Glad he's back in some form.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I wish Stauffer would stop spitting so much when he's talking. Sounds like he's finishing off a batch of ribs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad