Edmonton PP numbers

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Any thoughts on why the Oilers have so few PP compared to the rest of the league? It's not a conspiracy against the Oilers, so there has to be some logic behind it.

Right now the Oilers have had 72 powerplays, 8 (!) less than the closest team. And we've played one more game, so realistically once the Wild play their next game, we'll have 10 less powerplays then the 30th place squad.

The league average for the other 30 teams is 96 (!!!) powerplays. The league average including our sad sack team is 95.

So at this point we have had 23 less powerplays than the average team, which includes teams playing as poorly as we have. So it's not like lackluster emotionless games are just an Edmonton thing.

If we had a league average amount of powerplays, based on our current PP %, we would have an extra 5 goals (clearly a win or two more.)

If we even had has many of Toronto, 24th in the league, we would have an extra 3 goals.

In a season of a billion paper cuts, what's the reason for this one?

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
This league seems determined to send out a memo prior to every game reminding the refs that there are two rule books.

One for the Edmonton Oilers and one for the rest of the league.

I mean, there are games where we don't deserve calls. That's obvious. But when we're consistently getting called for ticky tack stick infractions and interference that is borderline at most while McDavid has guys chopping at him every shift and water skiing off of him, it begs the question as to what the refs are looking at. Letestu getting crosschecked last game is another perfect example. Right in front of the ref who's looking directly at him and he purposefully ignores a blatant infraction. Go back to the Toronto game and look at Toronto's first PP. Nurse didn't even do anything to his guy and gets called for a phantom hold. It's beyond ridiculous. And while it's something that we've seemingly had to deal with for a long while, starting with the concerted effort the refs seemed to make in order to f*** us over in the Anaheim series, it's gotten even worse this regular season.

How many penalties has McDavid drawn this season? So much for cracking down on obstruction and stick infractions I guess.

Reactions: oilers'72

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I have no answer for this other than someone has to be last, but it seems unusual to see such a discrepancy between #1 and #31 this early in the season. Counting tonight the Blackhawks have had 46 more PPs than the Oilers.

Columbus had the fewest PPs last season and are in the bottom three again. Anaheim was the most penalized team in 2016, the second most last season, and the most so far this year. They already have a PP-PK differential of -33.

I don't think there's a league-wide conspiracy to screw over the Oilers (or any of the other teams that get the short end of officiating) but I do believe some officials get their feelings hurt and react by how they call games. The Flames had one of the most favourable PP-PK differentials in the league until the Wideman incident and then it went the other way overnight.

Through 28 games last season the Oilers had the 12th most PPs with 88. I saw a post on our board a day or two ago that maybe the team went off on the officiating behind closed doors after what happened in the playoffs and this is the result. That's really the only thing that makes sense imo, because the team hasn't gone to the media and McLellan isn't screaming at the officials during the games.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Seems our org is content on being the league punching bag. This is just a continuation from last playoffs it seems. We let the refs treat us like trash in that series and just sat there smiling and taking it on the chin. This is pretty clear you get nowhere in this league unless you are whining and diving and working the refs all night long. There is no reward for being the nice guys.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I'm glad I'm not the only one that has noticed this. In a season where pretty much EVERYTHING has gone wrong, this is yet another example. It's crazy really though, as there are 3-4 missed calls on McDavid alone pretty much every game. I simply don't see how McDavid is 27th in the league for drawn penalties, when he was FIRST in the league last year. Makes no sense.

Reactions: 48g90a138pts

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Worst powerplay in the history of this proud franchise.

Why dont they try to change it up? Why does Klefbom and Letestu have to be 100% out there? How much worse could Nurse and Pulu be?

I'd like to see Nuge on PP1 and Dra PP2 as Nuge has earned it. Also remove Klefbom and Letestu. Lets make PP something you have to "earn" not given.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
I have become so used to McDavid not getting any calls. I don't thing there is a single player in the league that gets hooked and held more, yet there is non call after non call. It is frustrating to watch, especially because as soon as we hit one of the other teams players too hard it seems like there is an arm going up...

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
This is the worst division in hockey to be in. It has Gary's darling teams that hes so desperate to grow and make into huge markets. And now this team has to deal with another darling in Vegas. The more crappy teams in the division the better the odds for teams like Vegas and L.A to do well and eventually Arizona if they ever get their act together. Its not a coincidence that this team gets swindled every time they play a California team, and now you have an expansion team with a load of crappy veterans and 6th string goaltenders being second in the division. It will be impossible to win anything in this group seeing as the NHL precedence of what markets are important have been set. If you think i am being conspiratorial do yourself a favor, go watch every single L.A vs Edmonton, Edmonton vs Anaheim and Edmonton vs Phoenix games and see how many calls went their way. I am sure its not any better for Vancouver and Calgary.

When it rains in pours.

Reactions: McDrai

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Honestly I think the refs get tired of players beaking them during play. Players like Maroon, Kassian etc. Not sure I would include Lucic in this. Maybe management has complained behind closed doors to the league?

I also think that theres been many games this year, where the Oilers simply dont move their feet. Refs tend to call penalties when players are moving their feet. I also think the Oilers arent that great at keeping a cycle going, a lot of times penalties are called from sustained pressure in the offensive end. The Oilers arent that great at this.

They miss so many calls on McDavid though. Hes one player that moves his feet, and he doesnt get the calls. I have no explanation.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Honestly I think the refs get tired of players beaking them during play. Players like Maroon, Kassian etc. Not sure I would include Lucic in this. Maybe management has complained behind closed doors to the league?

I also think that theres been many games this year, where the Oilers simply dont move their feet. Refs tend to call penalties when players are moving their feet. I also think the Oilers arent that great at keeping a cycle going, a lot of times penalties are called from sustained pressure in the offensive end. The Oilers arent that great at this.

They miss so many calls on McDavid though. Hes one player that moves his feet, and he doesnt get the calls. I have no explanation.

If they called just the calls on McDavid that they miss every game I don't think anyone on here would be complaining.

Reactions: Oilers Propagandist

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
1) Yes, the Oilers haven't been getting many calls but that's no excuse for the way they have been performing
2) The Oilers would be a playoff team in my opinion if their PP and PK was anywhere near last season (where we were around the average for both I believe).. We have one of if not the worst special teams in the whole league right now and that is the BIGGEST reason we are not doing well.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
A little off topic but couldn't sleep so wanted to entertain this idea.
I wish there was a system where referees are reviewed after each game and their percentage of correct calls and non-calls around their position is revealed to the public.

If we can rate players, we can rate referees.

Higher rated referees get paid more and thus start to eliminate poor referees from the system. Also an incentive for them to make sure they are completely focused on the play.

The focus on them increases every year because we hear about shady calls and non-calls on very important turning points in games.
Referees and their calls have taken away more attention away from the game.
Their hasn't been anything implemented to hold accountable poor refereeing.
A League that has their economy running in the billions. You would want to make sure you have the best referees on the ice with a high percentage of making the right calls.

Tl.dr. Start rating referees so that good referees will rise and pay them accordingly.

They get ×××× on alot and I rather see the position be more respected if you implement a system that holds them accountable for poor refereeing.

Just a general idea but this my 2 cents because I also been seeing some spotty non-calls on the oilers this year and that is why I would want a review system like I mention in place.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
A little off topic but couldn't sleep so wanted to entertain this idea.
I wish there was a system where referees are reviewed after each game and their percentage of correct calls and non-calls around their position is revealed to the public.

If we can rate players, we can rate referees.

Higher rated referees get paid more and thus start to eliminate poor referees from the system. Also an incentive for them to make sure they are completely focused on the play.

The focus on them increases every year because we hear about shady calls and non-calls on very important turning points in games.
Referees and their calls have taken away more attention away from the game.
Their hasn't been anything implemented to hold accountable poor refereeing.
A League that has their economy running in the billions. You would want to make sure you have the best referees on the ice with a high percentage of making the right calls.

Tl.dr. Start rating referees so that good referees will rise and pay them accordingly.

They get ×××× on alot and I rather see the position be more respected if you implement a system that holds them accountable for poor refereeing.

Just a general idea but this my 2 cents because I also been seeing some spotty non-calls on the oilers this year and that is why I would want a review system like I mention in place.

Not a chance the officiating union would even entertain this. Good idea though.

Reactions: MettleMcOiler

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I don't believe there is any conspiracy against us, but I am reminded of those leaked e-mails from Colin Campbell calling certain players out as divers and wonder if someone in the NHL gave us that moniker so they are more hesitant with calls. Though generally when there are more PP's for you there tends to be more PP's against you and given our PK struggles an entire game at even strength probably plays to our advantage.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
McLellan mentioned to the media the pp looked better. Needed more time.

Right after he contradicted himself and said they don't have time to get slepy up and running.

sundaysleftovers

Feb 28, 2013
Saskatchewan
Woodcroft would have a stroke if that went out for PP1 wondering where letestu is

Leave Nuge on that 2nd unit(1st unit :sarcasm:) they have been a lot better. Moving the puck, actually moving bodies around instead of perimeter passing running the clock down. I think the McDavid unit will get it going so they don't get shown up by the Nuge unit. Put Drai in the slot for those sweet deflections and Looch out front to clean up the garbage.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
This is the worst division in hockey to be in. It has Gary's darling teams that hes so desperate to grow and make into huge markets. And now this team has to deal with another darling in Vegas. The more crappy teams in the division the better the odds for teams like Vegas and L.A to do well and eventually Arizona if they ever get their act together.

If your theory is correct, then Seattle as the 32nd team in the league will really help the Oilers.

A 32 team league easily fits into two conferences with four divisions each. The new Smythe/Northwest/goofy-named division makes sense as the Oilers-Flames-Canucks-Seattle whatevers.

Bingo. Biased calls against teams playing in same division as California teams gone as a problem for the Oilers.

Last edited:

Always

Aug 18, 2015
Leave Nuge on that 2nd unit(1st unit :sarcasm:) they have been a lot better. Moving the puck, actually moving bodies around instead of perimeter passing running the clock down. I think the McDavid unit will get it going so they don't get shown up by the Nuge unit. Put Drai in the slot for those sweet deflections and Looch out front to clean up the garbage.
Lets say we move Klefbom to the second unit replaced by Benning and Nuge comes in to replace Lucic. Drai moves to the slot Nuge plays the high side Benning ,Mcdavid and Nuge could distribute the puck and just maybe Letestu gets the puck in a shooting position instead of on his back skate where he can't one time the puck and Draisital has the oportunity to work down low. Lets face it Klefbom has done a poor job as the quarterback of the PP and Lucic cannot pass the puck. Nurse could fit in here as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->