Proposal: Edmonton - Pittsburgh

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Who is going to kill penalities for the Pens?

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
Archibald and Rowney won't even be playing. How are they going to kill penalties from the pressbox?
Why not? He deserves to play. Reaves should sit. If that trade were to happen:

Guentzel - Sid - Hornqvist
Jokinen - Malkin - Kessel
Sheary - Strome - Rust
Hagelin - Rowney - Archibald
Reaves and McKegg as extras.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Why not? He deserves to play. Reaves should sit. If that trade were to happen:

Guentzel - Sid - Hornqvist
Jokinen - Malkin - Kessel
Sheary - Strome - Rust
Hagelin - Rowney - Archibald
Reaves and McKegg as extras.

Reaves isn't going to be a healthy scratch, and having only 4 PKers on your team isn't even close to enough.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Obviously the Oilers are never going to move Strome on this quickly (nor the Pens with Sheahan.....but the stakes are alot lower there) but I would love to take a shot at a player like Strome. Is frustration with him really that high among the Oiler fans?

As far as Jokinen, looks like his price is alot lower. If there was a million in cap space going spare I would l0ve to see if he could rekindle some of that old magic as a Pen.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
They might trade Kuhn (not likely because Sully loves him) or they might trade Sheahan (not likely because they just traded FOR him) but yeah, they won't trade both together without a known PK entity coming back, as overrated as they are.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Brian McDavid

Aug 4, 2017
Oil City Roadhouse
Obviously the Oilers are never going to move Strome on this quickly (nor the Pens with Sheahan.....but the stakes are alot lower there) but I would love to take a shot at a player like Strome. Is frustration with him really that high among the Oiler fans?

As far as Jokinen, looks like his price is alot lower. If there was a million in cap space going spare I would l0ve to see if he could rekindle some of that old magic as a Pen.
Honestly, EDM is dying for a reason to move Strome. I hate being overly critical, but the guy came in as the favorite to play RW with 97. He wasn't able to keep that job which is pretty bad considering our lack of wing production. JJ hasn't been much better (and point totals suggest he's worse...YIKES). So yes... Oilers accept.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Honestly, EDM is dying for a reason to move Strome. I hate being overly critical, but the guy came in as the favorite to play RW with 97. He wasn't able to keep that job which is pretty bad considering our lack of wing production. JJ hasn't been much better (and point totals suggest he's worse...YIKES). So yes... Oilers accept.

Hold on, Strome is a failure because he isn't above Leon Draisaitl on the RW depth chart?

farshi

Feb 28, 2012
Hold on, Strome is a failure because he isn't above Leon Draisaitl on the RW depth chart?
No because he's bad enough that EDM is forced to play LD at RW instead of C so that Mcdavid has competent linemates.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Take out Sheahan and Strome and it makes some sense. The Oilers have no reason to move on from Strome so quickly. Kuhn could help out with the PK, but he's pretty similar a forward to Pakarinen is he not?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I would think about this as a Penguin but I doubt that Edmonton does it.

Eberle -> Strome -> Sheahan/Kuhnhackl ...I mean, ouch.

Before I said yes or no, has Juicey J been playing center at all recently? Not sure how this impacts the lineup...not sure either are the 3C that we need.

Jake-Sid-Rust
Hags-Geno-Kessel
Sheary-JJ/Strome-Horny
Archi-Strome/JJ-Reaves

Hags/JJ, Archi/Strome, Rust

Yikes. I suppose Sid could maybe take a draw or two if needed.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

I think most Oiler fans know that Strome wasn't really a piece Chiarelli wanted, he just couldn't dump Eberle for anything better. If we could get something that fits better, then we'll take it. I think most Oil fans are being unfair with him though.

King1s

Jan 27, 2015
Edmonton

Sounds good.

full

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

The problem with Strome is people were expecting a 30 point player to magically become a 50 point player here. 30 point NYI Strome is 30 point Edmonton Strome.

Things won't get much better as long as he's centring guys like Khaira, Jokinen, and Pakarinen.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Before I said yes or no, has Juicey J been playing center at all recently? Not sure how this impacts the lineup...not sure either are the 3C that we need.

Jake-Sid-Rust
Hags-Geno-Kessel
Sheary-JJ/Strome-Horny
Archi-Strome/JJ-Reaves

Hags/JJ, Archi/Strome, Rust

Yikes. I suppose Sid could maybe take a draw or two if needed.

Most games I couldn't tell you if Jokinen was even dressed, let alone at centre. He's been the dictionary definition of meh. Not getting scored on, but not creating much either.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Most games I couldn't tell you if Jokinen was even dressed, let alone at centre. He's been the dictionary definition of meh. Not getting scored on, but not creating much either.
He looked good in the preseason and seemingly had some chemistry with RNH..
For some reason McLellan decided to go away from that pairing and put Lucic with RNH instead.

Brian McDavid

Aug 4, 2017
Oil City Roadhouse
The problem with Strome is people were expecting a 30 point player to magically become a 50 point player here. 30 point NYI Strome is 30 point Edmonton Strome.

Things won't get much better as long as he's centring guys like Khaira, Jokinen, and Pakarinen.
The point is he was expected to play with McDavid. 97 is a considerable upgrade to anyone he skate with NY, Tavares included. I don't think it was unreasonable to expect his output to increase from as you say, 30 to 50, when you consider he does already have a 50 point season under his belt.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I think Strome is a reasonable 3rd line center with upside. He's played well with offensive linemates but hasn't gotten the chance to play with many so far. I hope him, Cammalleri and Slepyshev/Caggiula can find good chemistry as a 3rd scoring line. Strome is a good passer who's comfortable carrying the puck and with 2 shooters i think that line can be solid.

As for Strome not being able to play with McDavid the guy played the first 2 preseason games with him and was productive, Draisaitl on that line has more to do with giving McDavid help with faceoffs, dzone coverage, and producing consistently as that line is being tasked with harder matchups as part of McDavids development, plus they don't want to bury Nuge for a 3rd year.

Strome is still a young center and he's on a new team for the first time, no need to run him out of town since up until 2 games ago he was literally our only productive bottom 6 forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad