Elks: Edmonton Eskimos Thread: 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
White himself was often responsible for his yards being hard. He didn't make two informed cuts all game. On several plays he bounced back right into tackle instead of hitting seams that were there. As stated on a few plays he fell down untouched. White was awful last night and that was on John White. Needs to watch the game film.

Team needs to work on those *fakes*. jebus. Lynch stands right behind the ball in the shotgun. Oh wow, highschool football. :sarcasm:

Who saw that play coming other than everybody.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The Esks won a game they were supposed to (easily) win. The offence was good but continuously shot themselves in the foot with penalties. I agree with GK when he says that a good team like Calgary or Ottawa would have exploited that.

Its interesting to see just how many posters with a history of trashing Willy as a QB are now defending the Esks defenisve performance tonight.

Willy is the worst starting QB in the League. Period.

If this defence cant look good against that offence then there really is no hope. So the fact that the defence held their own tonight shouldn't be lauded. It should have been expected.

I for one want to see how this defence does against some legit offences before I start applauding their accomplishments.

Good to see a win but lets not get carried away by over stating this accomplishment.

On a side note...I agree with Del Preston...good to see a more traditional Eskimo road uniform for a change.

Baby steps, man.:D

A lot of new guys out there, not only to the team and system, but to the CFL. They were supposed to do okay last night, and they did okay. I saw some good signs. If there are a lot of struggles by game 8 or 9, then I will be really concerned.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
White himself was often responsible for his yards being hard. He didn't make two informed cuts all game. On several plays he bounced back right into tackle instead of hitting seams that were there. As stated on a few plays he fell down untouched. White was awful last night and that was on John White. Needs to watch the game film.

Team needs to work on those *fakes*. jebus. Lynch stands right behind the ball in the shotgun. Oh wow, highschool football. :sarcasm:

Who saw that play coming other than everybody.

Pretty sure White has a good idea how to find holes.:laugh::laugh:
Far too many times last night, he had to juke and jive through 4 or 5 Bombers, who were were waiting for him. The running game, like the D, continues to be a work in progress.

The other issue, is that in our first 3 games, we have either been behind or the score has been very close, for long stretches, which dictates a lot of passing. If this team can find a way to come out of the gates strongly and put up some points early, I think you might see a bit different result in the running game.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Far too many times last night, he had to juke and jive through 4 or 5 Bombers, who were were waiting for him. The running game, like the D, continues to be a work in progress.

The other issue, is that in our first 3 games, we have either been behind or the score has been very close, for long stretches, which dictates a lot of passing. If this team can find a way to come out of the gates strongly and put up some points early, I think you might see a bit different result in the running game.

White is a very good running back. He sure wasn't in this game.

Hey, I saw half a dozen plays last night that could have been long gainers where White has either trouble with his footing, hitting the hole, or taking it outside. On at least 3 plays he had man to man and instead took it inside after cutting wide. Why? I dunno.

You telling me Bombers had 5 up keying White on every play in a game they'd been carved by long gainers 10 times? In a game they were double and triple teaming deep threats to try to stop the bleeding.

This should be an RB's wet dream of a night where the pass attack opens everything up.

All that said the Esks need to do a better job disguising the package. I thought they did on a lot of plays but Bombers weren't always biting.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
White is a very good running back. He sure wasn't in this game.

Hey, I saw half a dozen plays last night that could have been long gainers where White has either trouble with his footing, hitting the hole, or taking it outside. On at least 3 plays he had man to man and instead took it inside after cutting wide. Why? I dunno.

You telling me Bombers had 5 up keying White on every play in a game they'd been carved by long gainers 10 times? In a game they were double and triple teaming deep threats to try to stop the bleeding.

This should be an RB's wet dream of a night where the pass attack opens everything up.

All that said the Esks need to do a better job disguising the package. I thought they did on a lot of plays but Bombers weren't always biting.

He did a fantastic job blocking though. That's what I love about White. Even when he isn't contributing in terms of actual yardage gained himself, he finds ways to be useful. Much better than the days of Whitlock and McClendon.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
He did a fantastic job blocking though. That's what I love about White. Even when he isn't contributing in terms of actual yardage gained himself, he finds ways to be useful. Much better than the days of Whitlock and McClendon.

Yeah, there were some good blocks. I like the player, he will bounce back, maybe he was even a bit fatigued or in pain. It wasn't his typical explosive night.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Absolutely agree. Bunch of dopes with their heads firmly planted up their rear.

I'd take Maciocia's crew back over what we currently have.

:shakehead

seriously? talk about blind hate.

the people who already hate the Edmonton coaching staff are the dopes, I think.
come on, guys. really.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton

I don't know. I think I agree with replacement. he had the holes, but wasn't hitting them for whatever reason. his blocking game was great, but his running wasn't.

just had a bad game. he's too good not to bounce back.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
The posts during the game were pretty negative for the most part. Just emotion talking hopefully. I can't believe anybody would really prefer Macciocia era. Why?

rick Campbell during that time wasn't very good at his job. the worst bend but not break defense ever. the best eskimo defensive play during that era was the opposing team receiver dropping the ball.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I don't know. I think I agree with replacement. he had the holes, but wasn't hitting them for whatever reason. his blocking game was great, but his running wasn't.

just had a bad game. he's too good not to bounce back.

No problem in agreeing to disagree.:yo: We can all agree that he is an excellent running back.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Durant hurt but Riders in control. Weird game for SSK.

Not anymore! Huge Implosion going on in Saskatchewan. Durant on crutches too.

giphy.gif

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Wow so it isn't just Durant injured today. Chambers and Labatte down too. Riders in HUGE trouble now. Especially next week against the RedBlacks.

I can see next weeks conversation with Ed Hervey:

Jones: Ummm hi Ed, this is Chris.

Hervey:...what do you want...?

Jones: well, you see, I suffered 3 injuries against BC and I need some starters, is there anyone you could give me to replace my injured guys?

Hervey: Sorry. We are set right now. We have no one available.

Jones: Well, you see, we got screwed by Toronto with that trade-

Hervey: Yeah that was stupid, what were you thinking? You KNEW Sewell wouldn't come to the West. We ALL knew!

Jones: Yeah, I messed up. You know this GM job is really hard...do you think there might be a SLIM chance I could get my old job back...?

Hervey: That ship has sailed. Go eat a melon or something.

Jones: <cries>

Last edited:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Jones and Hervey really should have found a way to work things out. They could have been really really good for a long long time together. Imagine Jones in EDM with Maas as associate coach.

Now neither will be as good as they could have been together. Hervey looks like he'll come out of this in much better shape though.

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
Jones and Hervey really should have found a way to work things out. They could have been really really good for a long long time together. Imagine Jones in EDM with Maas as associate coach.

Now neither will be as good as they could have been together. Hervey looks like he'll come out of this in much better shape though.

The new starter for Saskatchewan was Toronto's 3rd string QB just a few days ago. This situation has been caused by Chris Jones, who has had 10 or 11 quarterbacks on the roster now in 3 weeks.

Not only has Chris Jones done a bad job as GM, but his D can't stop the pass or run, which we have seen again tonight.

Good riddance.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
BTW I love how the Riders Forum is 100% convinced they are getting James Franklin from us. It's like it's their 'Right" to get him since they have Chris Jones. They even said Chris Jones was the one that brought him to the league. He didn't! It was PAUL Jones and Ed Hervey ROFL. :laugh:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I think Jones thought he had the win against the Esks late. Probably rattled him that he lost the way he did. For a man with his ego these last few weeks must be tough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad