Elks: Edmonton Eskimo Thread: 2018 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
This should ease the stress level a bit.

"While the Argos won the Franklin lottery amid interest from at least three other teams, including the Saskatchewan Roughriders, Montreal Alouettes and Hamilton Tiger-Cats, there is no immediate guarantee of a payout as Franklin is currently focused on working out for as many National Football League clubs that will see him before he commits to another term up north.
When and if he signs with the Argos, who now have his exclusive negotiating rights, it is expected there will be further compensation coming Edmonton’s way on top of the details announced Tuesday."

That was always the thing with Franklin, we knew he was an NFL prototype and would at least get a look down there. Whether he'll stick I don't know but I could definitely see him making the roster as a backup on somebody's NFL roster.

He would never have played here or even gotten a look with Maas in charge and Maas is an immovable object so good for Franklin and if he becomes a star in Toronto then that's also good because they need all the help they can get in keeping the franchise alive.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Now you did it. His head is going to explode when he processes that.

No oiler game on tonight so I should be fine.. but how the hell do we give Franklin and a pick for a lineman? What on earth.

Franklin could be the most entertaining QB in the league in a short period of time. I love his potential.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
No oiler game on tonight so I should be fine.. but how the hell do we give Franklin and a pick for a lineman? What on earth.

Franklin could be the most entertaining QB in the league in a short period of time. I love his potential.

What did you want for Franklin? He's a free agent in March and there was no way he was staying here. Even if he doesn't get a look in the NFL he can still sign with anyone he wants in the CFL.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
What did you want for Franklin? He's a free agent in March and there was no way he was staying here. Even if he doesn't get a look in the NFL he can still sign with anyone he wants in the CFL.

I stated what I wanted was him to be worked into the lineup this last few years further to interest in keeping him here.

As far the NFL lark how likely is it that a QB that has had essentially next to no reps here is going to be getting a ton of interest in the NFL. How often does that occur with a CFL QB that's been packing a clipboard much more than a football. As is usually the case with such things some team will have him in TC as fifth string just incase miraculous injury occurs, or further to just running camp and then release him like the disposable quantity that the NFL treats such prospects.

As good as he is I doubt he gets the time of day and anything more than token consideration. Theres guys that have looked like fantastic QB's that don't even get a down in preseason to show anything.

So he'll be back next season and the Argos got negotiating rights. Willing to bet he's back in CFL.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Lost in all this is the chance for Zach Kline to step up and grab the backup spot. Not sure if he's as polished as Franklin, but he had a very good preseason this year in the two games he played.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Not really true. QBs have more longevity in the CFL than any position besides kicker.

What signs are you speaking of? Because according to everyone he was a MOP level player last season.

In a 9 team league tell me who exactly are the quarterback standouts? The league is has awful QB's this past decade. So with so few teams and so many poor options, the actual few stars will stand out more. There is barely any competition in the QB spot, have a good season and you will be a candidate for MOP. Reilly is very good don't get me wrong, but the rest of the league makes the few quality starters look way better than they are. Reilly struggled for a big portion of the giant losing streak this team was on, there were many calling to give Franklin a shot. The older Reilly gets, the more bad starts he will be prone to have and it will happen sooner than later. There should have been a gradual shift to a duo tandem. You can't give a QB with that kind of potential in a league that does not have many good QB's.

I am a little confused by the return, they should have gotten a lot more leverage.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
In a 9 team league tell me who exactly are the quarterback standouts? The league is has awful QB's this past decade. So with so few teams and so many poor options, the actual few stars will stand out more. There is barely any competition in the QB spot, have a good season and you will be a candidate for MOP. Reilly is very good don't get me wrong, but the rest of the league makes the few quality starters look way better than they are. Reilly struggled for a big portion of the giant losing streak this team was on, there were many calling to give Franklin a shot. The older Reilly gets, the more bad starts he will be prone to have and it will happen sooner than later. There should have been a gradual shift to a duo tandem. You can't give a QB with that kind of potential in a league that does not have many good QB's.

I am a little confused by the return, they should have gotten a lot more leverage.

Agreed, but the question in my mind still remains: during that 6 game losing streak when Reilly struggled why was Franklin not brought in from the bench for more of a look-see? That is a question best directed to the HC and not the GM.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007

For the negotiation rights to a promising but, as of yet, largely unproven QB who definitely wasn't coming back here to back up the league's M.O.P.? I think Sunderland did fine here- even better if Mason Woods develops into a starter on the O-line.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
For the negotiation rights to a promising but, as of yet, largely unproven QB who definitely wasn't coming back here to back up the league's M.O.P.? I think Sunderland did fine here- even better if Mason Woods develops into a starter on the O-line.
Woods was a throw in by the Argos. They don't think he's good enough to ever be more than a mediocre backup.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I stated what I wanted was him to be worked into the lineup this last few years further to interest in keeping him here.

As far the NFL lark how likely is it that a QB that has had essentially next to no reps here is going to be getting a ton of interest in the NFL. How often does that occur with a CFL QB that's been packing a clipboard much more than a football. As is usually the case with such things some team will have him in TC as fifth string just incase miraculous injury occurs, or further to just running camp and then release him like the disposable quantity that the NFL treats such prospects.

As good as he is I doubt he gets the time of day and anything more than token consideration. Theres guys that have looked like fantastic QB's that don't even get a down in preseason to show anything.

So he'll be back next season and the Argos got negotiating rights. Willing to bet he's back in CFL.

I think he meant, "what did you want for Franklin in the trade?" Not the last few years. We all wanted him to play more.

Considering he is a free agent with aspirations of NFL employment, and reportedly only willing to sign a one year deal, so he can likely pursue that dream if he fails the first time, I think the compensation is decent enough. And if he does sign with the Argos, there will be more coming back. We'll see what that is, if and when it happens.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Franklin will light up DB's like a Christmas tree much like the Riders young QB, Bridge, who was relief winning off of horrible Glenn starts. The only difference was Franklin who's very good, wasn't getting many downs because Reilly is hands down the best QB in the league. But Reilly won't be playing forever.

I keep hearing nonsense like "wasn't coming back here anyway" That absolves this org of any responsibility that they set the table in improper treatment of this outstanding young QB. They barely gave him a sniff. So that its the Esks FAULT if Franklin wanted out.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
Speaking of nonsense...

The Esks' GM says that James Franklin made it clear during his exit meeting that he wants to be a starter. Barring an injury, that just wasn't going to happen here. Franklin signed up to be a backup QB to a solidly entrenched starter and guess what? He was treated like a backup QB to a solidly entrenched starter. That's all.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Speaking of nonsense...

The Esks' GM says that James Franklin made it clear during his exit meeting that he wants to be a starter. Barring an injury, that just wasn't going to happen here. Franklin signed up to be a backup QB to a solidly entrenched starter and guess what? He was treated like a backup QB to a solidly entrenched starter. That's all.

Of course the GM says that to absolve any responsibility on yet another org misfire. The same GM defended the Maas playoff call.

Theres no excuse to not play two QB's. Its actually more effective to give opposing D's two diff QB's to start. Franklin was a class act through and through and very patient with the org.

Of course he has expectation for more, the org has had him carrying a durned clipboard for years.

Its mismanaging assets AND not getting any of the benefit of the player.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
If that GM wasn't going to fire his head coach for the brutal playoff call (and quite rightly he wasn't), he bloody better be defending it.

Good backup QB's try to develop and learn as much as they can at practice and in the QB room from their coaches and fellow QB's. This is what James Franklin expected and then got out of his time in Edmonton. If you were to try to convince him that he was mistreated here, he'd tell you that you were talking nonsense.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Franklin will light up DB's like a Christmas tree much like the Riders young QB, Bridge, who was relief winning off of horrible Glenn starts. The only difference was Franklin who's very good, wasn't getting many downs because Reilly is hands down the best QB in the league. But Reilly won't be playing forever.

I keep hearing nonsense like "wasn't coming back here anyway" That absolves this org of any responsibility that they set the table in improper treatment of this outstanding young QB. They barely gave him a sniff. So that its the Esks FAULT if Franklin wanted out.
Lol, the biggest reason “he isn’t coming back here anyway” is because of the way Maas used him. You’re right, it’s ridiculous to act like the organization bares no responsibility in that. It’s all on them.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
If that GM wasn't going to fire his head coach for the brutal playoff call (and quite rightly he wasn't), he bloody better be defending it.

Good backup QB's try to develop and learn as much as they can at practice and in the QB room from their coaches and fellow QB's. This is what James Franklin expected and then got out of his time in Edmonton. If you were to try to convince him that he was mistreated here, he'd tell you that you were talking nonsense.
Not sure what you don' get. Franklin, to my eye, could be the best QB in the league in around 2 seasons. This was a badly mishandled asset here and now he's gone. BECAUSE Eskimos.

Kind of ironic that the GC winning Argos just got stronger at the key position in football and we get a lineman and even have to give up a pick.

This must be one of those patented "dealing from a position of weakness' trades that Edmonton fans are so accustomed. With the primary weakness being both pro orgs are run by dolts.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Yeah, Frank was handled poorly, but we got all that teams were offering. The Riders made no offer and this was the best of the four offers that came in. I hope the kid signs in Toronto and that has a great career...in the east. He's a class act. Just listen to his interviews to know that.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I don't know how anyone can blame the GM for this situation. Nobody was going to give you much for a pending free agent unless a signed deal with the new team (ie-the Argos) was imminent.

The HC decides who plays and when because that's his job. Maas would have sent Reilly out there with a broken leg before he gave Franklin the start, that's just the way he thinks and he wasn't going to budge on it.

I do give past GM Hervey some credit for having the foresight to sign Franklin to a 3 year deal instead of 2 because that gave us an extra year with a quality backup. Having said that, yet another example of something that wasn't very well handled by the EE but unfortunately that has been the norm for the past decade.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Gable signing is great news. Kudos to our new GM for the trade and the new signing of a quality running back.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Esks signed eli jenkins today--I remember watching a few of his collage games on the dish with Jacksonville and the only impression I got was that he was not that mobile and relied heavily on his arm

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Esks signed eli jenkins today--I remember watching a few of his collage games on the dish with Jacksonville and the only impression I got was that he was not that mobile and relied heavily on his arm

You beat me to the punch on this guy because I just spotted this article a few minutes ago and was going to post it.
Los Angeles Chargers undrafted rookie profile: Eli Jenkins

He comes from a smaller school but his stats are unreal. He has good size and great running ability (at least according to the stats) which never hurts your chances in the CFL. His resume sounds a little bit like Franklin's. I don't know how this will turn out but at first glance it looks like a good signing.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Speaking of nonsense...

Not sure what you mean by the bolded. No one said he should start a bunch of games and be a starter. Of course he was the backup and didn't start games, or get into them. Most of the issues stem from him getting practically zero playing time when Reilly certainly could have used a well earned break.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad