Elks: Edmonton Eskimo Thread 3.0 : (12 - 6) 3rd in the West - Western Final Vs Calgary up next

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I think it's time for bowman to be cut

might have to as with his salary I doubt anyone would trade for him.
You can't cut him until you know what Zylstra is doing. if he goes south you may need Bowman.

but it is shocking how useless bowman has become.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I disliked the Maas hiring from day one, he did a good job of OC in Ottawa and he's not bad at drawing up plays but I hated that they just handed him the key to a championship team. The guy is way to emotional and has no semblance of game management.

On another note I think the team has a really tough decision to make this off season in regards to Reilly and Franklin. Now that we've locked up a playoff spot I'd like to see them get Franklin into a game or two.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Willis was entertaining on the sideline Saturday. He was dressed in black with a yellow hat acting like...well, like Willis.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Esks had some early season success with a steady 4 man rush, but that ship has sailed. That has been one of Benevides calling cards his entire career up here. Get pressure from the front 4 and use the odd man advantage downfield to cover up a shoddy system and gameplan. It's not just Ray that withers from unexpected blitzes. I think most QB's will struggle with that. But when that 4 man pressure dries up like it has for the last 2 months, the dbacks and linebackers get eaten alive.

I'm not fond of Benevides' game planning either, but to be fair, if you are getting close to zero pressure up front (which has been the case), no amount of defensive game planning or DB talent is going to be enough. The field is too wide and there is too much motion to cover everything.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
With regards to Maas, you'd think a veteran member of his coaching staff would pull him aside after a game and tell him to calm it down. Unfortunately, I think there are several other factors in play here, including the possibility that his veteran assistant head coach (Benevides) is likely still ambitious about a head coaching position, and if Maas got fired...

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I'm not fond of Benevides' game planning either, but to be fair, if you are getting close to zero pressure up front (which has been the case), no amount of defensive game planning or DB talent is going to be enough. The field is too wide and there is too much motion to cover everything.

If you're getting zero pressure up front, the solution is to blitz more than 4. Benevides has run what is essentially a prevent defense all year long. This defense has constantly conceded intermediate routes between the hash marks as though they are leading by 20 points in the 4th quarter no matter the situation. As a result we have been consistently nickeled-and-dimed for 25-30 points against every game. Unfortunately there's no reason to believe this will change at this stage in the season. Essentially the offense either scores 30+, or we lose the ball game. Not really any margin for error.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

I disagree. If you're not getting pressure from rushing 4, then that is when you really need to gameplan more efficiently and come up with ways to get pressure on the QB, either by stunting with linebackers or defensive backs coming from all over the place (something Chris Jones is quite adept at doing), and mixing up blitzes. Just sitting back and saying "well, we tried rushing 4 and that didn't work, so I guess it's just not enough" is not going to cut it in this league or any other one for that matter. Benevides was hired to game plan and come up with alternatives. I'm not sure what options he's using right now, but so far, they haven't been working all that well.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I like this Gable guy. Other than that first play in his first game, of course.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
If you're getting zero pressure up front, the solution is to blitz more than 4. Benevides has run what is essentially a prevent defense all year long. This defense has constantly conceded intermediate routes between the hash marks as though they are leading by 20 points in the 4th quarter no matter the situation. As a result we have been consistently nickeled-and-dimed for 25-30 points against every game. Unfortunately there's no reason to believe this will change at this stage in the season. Essentially the offense either scores 30+, or we lose the ball game. Not really any margin for error.

I disagree. If you're not getting pressure from rushing 4, then that is when you really need to gameplan more efficiently and come up with ways to get pressure on the QB, either by stunting with linebackers or defensive backs coming from all over the place (something Chris Jones is quite adept at doing), and mixing up blitzes. Just sitting back and saying "well, we tried rushing 4 and that didn't work, so I guess it's just not enough" is not going to cut it in this league or any other one for that matter. Benevides was hired to game plan and come up with alternatives. I'm not sure what options he's using right now, but so far, they haven't been working all that well.

You can't blitz every down. And our front 4 is essentially Sewell and nobody else. Teams just have to double team Sewell and no one else generates any pressure. The defensive ends can't contain the run game very well either. It's a recipe for disaster.

I think with better game planning this defense could be better, yes, but let's not pretend there aren't massive personnel issues in the front 4.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
You can't blitz every down. And our front 4 is essentially Sewell and nobody else. Teams just have to double team Sewell and no one else generates any pressure. The defensive ends can't contain the run game very well either. It's a recipe for disaster.

I think with better game planning this defense could be better, yes, but let's not pretend there aren't massive personnel issues in the front 4.

But this team NEVER blitzes. I don't think anyone is suggesting they need to blitz on every play. Although truth be told, Don Matthews employed that strategy to good effect in Montreal in the early 00's.

Sewell needing to be doubled is a big advantage that is being wasted. In theory, we should be able to blitz 6 and have one of the two blitzing linebackers come free against almost any passing set. Most of our linebackers and backs can't make a tackle to save their lives anyway, may as well send them at the QB.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Never suggested they blitz every play. Only that they do more of it than they are now (which seems like next to nothing), as well as get creative and bring different people at different times and in unexpected situations. The D line was the main thing that saving the teams butts the first 1/2 dozen games or so. Pressure was being placed on opposing QB's most of the game, resulting in some easy knockdowns and picks for the rest of them. Not to mention, the opposition weren't exactly world beaters or were playing poorly at the time we met them (Ottawa) But Sewell went down one game, and things have never been the same, as the others have all spent time on the IR since then. Willis, I have to believe, has been playing injured. I just can't see how he could play so well for the fist few games, and then fall of the edge of a cliff so completely. Chick is exactly what he was before we traded for him, so I can't even say I'm disappointed. A non-impact body on the front line.

Linebacking has really hurt us, but I think Corey Jones will have a huge impact once he's up to speed. I thought he was playing very well before he got hurt, and the drop off from Sherritt to him wasn't as drastic as feared.

Don't even get me started on the secondary, but there is a ray of hope with Grymes in there, and a couple others now healthy.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yeah, I always liked him and figured he should have had more praise. The strength of his play, which is so critical in CFL RB's is that he keeps his head up and constantly looks for holes and redirects to an opening. Thus an RB that makes 5yds out of nothing and has enough power and speed to break contain and get big gainers. Love this guy.

In addition we have 3 of the most dynamic recievers in the league. We have a QB like Reilly, who showed how much he can hurt a team on big plays for instance his 25yd TD scamper. You know that with this club, and the big game hunters they have in the lineup that they can be better than they typically are. I always feel the Stamps play perfect in regular season. This here Eskimos club is now built for playoffs. Bowman if he gets healthy will return to being a factor. Imagine an offense in which we have the Weapons of Zylstra, Walker, Bowman, Gable, Reilly. Nobody is better.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The team misses Hazelton more than Bowman. Hazelton gives the team another gritty possession receiver. That's why he and Zylstra work so well together.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
The team misses Hazelton more than Bowman. Hazelton gives the team another gritty possession receiver. That's why he and Zylstra work so well together.

Have to agree. Is Hazelton even coming back this year? His injury seemed pretty innocuous, yet week after week he remains on IR. Just like Rottier and Whyte. Not sure why this organization has to keep every injury veiled with such secrecy.

I'd like to see Mitchell back in the lineup as well. This guy looked great in limited action earlier this year. He'd certainly be a better option than Bowman at this point.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

This Cable guy?

Cable-guy.jpg

Edit: The way the Font is on the forum, it looks like a C, not a G :laugh:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Hazelton is Back! And he's a daddy.

Now the club has 4 good to great receiver options, a very competent and hard working RB and a very competent and hard working QB. I'm not much worried about the offense. But this D needs to be a whole lot better down the stretch. I think with the specific help they got getting guys like Grymes back and Chick and getting Willis rested we should expect better from that unit.

Could be that this Esks squad has been playing a wee bit of possum.

A lot seems to be lining up at the right time. excuse pun

Valhallis

Aug 2, 2005
Yeah, I always liked him and figured he should have had more praise. The strength of his play, which is so critical in CFL RB's is that he keeps his head up and constantly looks for holes and redirects to an opening. Thus an RB that makes 5yds out of nothing and has enough power and speed to break contain and get big gainers. Love this guy.
I agree! When was the last time one of our running backs stayed up with his legs pumping and we gained an extra 3-4 yards out of it?! He even give our linemen a chance to help push the pack forward even further!
Still lots to improve on in every facet of the game but maybe we've turned the corner and are on the upswing at the right time of year??

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I agree! When was the last time one of our running backs stayed up with his legs pumping and we gained an extra 3-4 yards out of it?! He even give our linemen a chance to help push the pack forward even further!
Still lots to improve on in every facet of the game but maybe we've turned the corner and are on the upswing at the right time of year??
I never count this Esks club out of it. Still more than enough big play players on the club and that we know can dial it up. Bowman is suffering with a hamstring still. He will get better. I would like to see Hazelton inserted and Bowman sit a game just to get some rest. He's not being able to separate much from coverage.

But this club is adding some pieces at the perfect time and players coming back from injury at a perfect time. The way the Stamps looked against Hamilton I don't think any other team in this league is unbeatable. The Esks can be dangerous.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Mostly, I just want a running back that can stay healthy for more than 2 games in a row. The rest is gravy. For the last 3 years, we've had these mini me's and, while talented, it seems none of them can stay in one piece for very long.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I heard Hazelton was back on the practice field, so unless he pulls a Whyte or Rottier, he must be getting close. I'd rather have him in the lineup over Bowman to begin with, but getting him back will also allow us to give AB some more time to heal up, if in fact, he's still hurting.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
If we go into the playoffs with Jones, Konar and Ladler as the linebackers, I can live with that. Both Jones and Ladler are very good at wrapping guys up, and Konar, while still young, is getting better.

We really need some more health in the backfield though. Wonder if Colquhoun will be coming back soon. He tried earlier but reinjured himself. I thought he was coming on, and wow, a huge ration changer if he can do it.

But the key for me, is how our personnel are going to be used. Because if the scheme is not working, it doesn't matter who is in there.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Now the club has 4 good to great receiver options, a very competent and hard working RB and a very competent and hard working QB. I'm not much worried about the offense. But this D needs to be a whole lot better down the stretch. I think with the specific help they got getting guys like Grymes back and Chick and getting Willis rested we should expect better from that unit.

Could be that this Esks squad has been playing a wee bit of possum.

A lot seems to be lining up at the right time. excuse pun

if they've been playing possum, they're stupid.

you should be worried about the offense. with all these so called weapons, they've been underwhelming to say the least. bowman invisible, too many drops by all players, and questionable play calling.

the defense, ummm well. enough has been said about them.

and don't forget special teams. they're a bit of a joke. can't believe we're stuck with out best receiver returning kicks. he shouldn't have to be out there taking those hits.

you do mention Chick. I would like to say that I think he's been useless and a waste of time.

The esks might be ready to do some damage, but injuries aside, I've lost a lot of confidence in their ability to do so. unless they get the crossover spot, they're not going anywhere.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Yah, I'm not so sure about the playing possum comment either. I think it's been a combination of injuries and just flat out sucking. Playing consistently good breeds consistency. Saying all that, I would love for them to get as healthy as they can be and play well going forward, but I don't have a lot of confidence in that, nor have they given me any reason to feel that way, given how things have gone so far. On paper, things are looking better, but we'll see how reality plays out.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Hazelton being healthy is going to add a very interesting dynamic to the offense.

Right now Williams isn't providing much to the receiving corps because he doesn't run a lot of crossing or dig routes in the middle of the field. Hazelton runs a lot of those routes and it draws the opposing linebackers into positions where it opens up other plays (or players).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad