Elks: Edmonton Eskimo Thread 3.0 : (12 - 6) 3rd in the West - Western Final Vs Calgary up next

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
With Willis it has got to be an injury. I've been saying this for awhile but he's done nothing in the last several games. He's hardly ever making a play now. Not sure whats up as he was gold earlier in the season. Its been like night and day.

Willis isn't hurt. The older defensive line playe s are being platooned. Last week Chick sat out this game it's Willis's turn. Hunt is next up,

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Missed the 2nd half. Good to see that the boys rallied for the win.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Team is still not going anywhere until they fix the terrible tackling and coverage on the secondary and linebackers. Put Mitchell in for Bowman. Find a beater safety than King. Don't put Zylstra on the punt return. It's stupid that your most valuable receiver is doing duty as a punt returner. Cut Johnny Adams as he can't cover or do anything right.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
But why did the clock stop at 1 sec with the play still going? The clock stopped before the play was over. Watch it again. Inexplicably, the clock stops at 1 sec, just because. That was a slow moving return and the Eskimos even seemed intent on the clock elapsing. They got jobbed on that. Soon as I saw that I said right away the Argos get an automatic PI on the next play. Would bet a thousand bucks on it.

Yup, I was at the game and this is exactly what happened. There was 1 second on the clock as the returner was being tackled. The ref didn't blow the whistle (and the whistle is what stops the clock, not the time keepers perception of a guy being down, out of bounds, etc) until at least a full second after the clock had already stopped. You see BS like that the odd time if it benefits the home team (BC Place was notorious for this for years), but never in my life have I seen a home time keeper blatantly screw the home team like that. Absolutlely bizarre.

Another game where I go away thinking we had no help whatsoever from our coaching staff, especially Mike Bene-feces. This idiot has to go, plain and simple. Since his very first year in the league, heavy blitzing has been Ricky Ray's Achilles heel. So in typical fashion, we lamely bring a four man rush all night. While having all the linebackers vacate the middle of the field on almost every call. During the 4th quarter Toronto called the same god damn play (SJ Green 10-15 yards up the middle) about 7 times in a row. And it worked 7 times in a row. A 15 year old kid playing Madden on his Xbox has more defensive acumen than what we saw in the 4th quarter tonight. I was half expecting to lose the game in regulation after we left Toronto 57 seconds. Not surprisingly they managed to get into field goal range with a healthy 27 seconds left. Thank heavens for a tipped ball that got picked off. There was still plenty of time left at that point for SJ Green to haul in 3 more uncontested passes and get into the end zone.

Anyone else find it completely stupid that we still elected to kick one-point converts (which are FAR from a certainty with our kicking game) instead of go for 2 after Toronto took penalties that would have seen us scrimmage from the 1 yard line on the 2-point attempts?

Adarius Bowman is clearly finished. He should not see the field again unless injury necessitates it. He has to be #1 in the league in drops despite probably being around 12th-15th in targets. It was an issue that you could live with when he was picking up 100+ yards every game. Not anymore.

I've been quite satisfied with CJ Gable thus far. Manages to pick up yards after contact, which is not something we've seen much of from anybody this year. Why we yet again drifted away from an effective run game while leading comfortably in the second half of a football game is something only Jason Maas-ciocia can explain.

Playoff spot is locked up now. I'm still pretty confident it will be the crossover. I don't see any way this team beats Calgary or Sask, so we likely finish no better than 10-8. As it stands, we're 9-1 against the East+BC, 0-5 against CGY/WPG/SSK. Given all the issues with how this coaching staff manages games though, I'd be lying if I said I had any expectation that we can go into Toronto and Ottawa and come up with victories. We have more talent on the field than either of those teams, but unfortunately we lose the coaching matchup, and there is zero chance of any marginal calls from the officials going in our favour, especially in Toronto. Those two factors will be our downfall.

Reactions: Del Preston

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yup, I was at the game and this is exactly what happened. There was 1 second on the clock as the returner was being tackled. The ref didn't blow the whistle (and the whistle is what stops the clock, not the time keepers perception of a guy being down, out of bounds, etc) until at least a full second after the clock had already stopped. You see BS like that the odd time if it benefits the home team (BC Place was notorious for this for years), but never in my life have I seen a home time keeper blatantly screw the home team like that. Absolutlely bizarre.

Another game where I go away thinking we had no help whatsoever from our coaching staff, especially Mike Bene-feces. This idiot has to go, plain and simple. Since his very first year in the league, heavy blitzing has been Ricky Ray's Achilles heel. So in typical fashion, we lamely bring a four man rush all night. While having all the linebackers vacate the middle of the field on almost every call. During the 4th quarter Toronto called the same god damn play (SJ Green 10-15 yards up the middle) about 7 times in a row. And it worked 7 times in a row. A 15 year old kid playing Madden on his Xbox has more defensive acumen than what we saw in the 4th quarter tonight. I was half expecting to lose the game in regulation after we left Toronto 57 seconds. Not surprisingly they managed to get into field goal range with a healthy 27 seconds left. Thank heavens for a tipped ball that got picked off. There was still plenty of time left at that point for SJ Green to haul in 3 more uncontested passes and get into the end zone.

Anyone else find it completely stupid that we still elected to kick one-point converts (which are FAR from a certainty with our kicking game) instead of go for 2 after Toronto took penalties that would have seen us scrimmage from the 1 yard line on the 2-point attempts?

Adarius Bowman is clearly finished. He should not see the field again unless injury necessitates it. He has to be #1 in the league in drops despite probably being around 12th-15th in targets. It was an issue that you could live with when he was picking up 100+ yards every game. Not anymore.

I've been quite satisfied with CJ Gable thus far. Manages to pick up yards after contact, which is not something we've seen much of from anybody this year. Why we yet again drifted away from an effective run game while leading comfortably in the second half of a football game is something only Jason Maas-ciocia can explain.

Playoff spot is locked up now. I'm still pretty confident it will be the crossover. I don't see any way this team beats Calgary or Sask, so we likely finish no better than 10-8. As it stands, we're 9-1 against the East+BC, 0-5 against CGY/WPG/SSK. Given all the issues with how this coaching staff manages games though, I'd be lying if I said I had any expectation that we can go into Toronto and Ottawa and come up with victories. We have more talent on the field than either of those teams, but unfortunately we lose the coaching matchup, and there is zero chance of any marginal calls from the officials going in our favour, especially in Toronto. Those two factors will be our downfall.

Appreciate the commentary and although I didn't see the 2nd half I agree that there have been no end of puzzling coaching decisions all season long.
I have 1 more to add....listening to the game in my car I hear Maas challenge a play (once again) in the first half.
I will never understand why a coach would use up the only challenge he has in the first half.
Makes no sense to me.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Appreciate the commentary and although I didn't see the 2nd half I agree that there have been no end of puzzling coaching decisions all season long.
I have 1 more to add....listening to the game in my car I hear Maas challenge a play (once again) in the first half.
I will never understand why a coach would use up the only challenge he has in the first half.
Makes no sense to me.
The challenge was also with 14 seconds left in the half and on a very minor infraction (in my opinion). It was a waste.

Maas had another fit on the sidelines when the Esks got called for PI at the end of the second quarter, albeit not as bad as one of his previous episodes. But this is becoming a weekly thing with him and it's embarrassing to watch as a fan. He was a hothead as a player and it has carried over into his coaching career.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
The challenge was also with 14 seconds left in the half and on a very minor infraction (in my opinion). It was a waste.

Maas had another fit on the sidelines when the Esks got called for PI at the end of the second quarter, albeit not as bad as one of his previous episodes. But this is becoming a weekly thing with him and it's embarrassing to watch as a fan. He was a hothead as a player and it has carried over into his coaching career.

I agree with these comments about the coaching staff. Wherever we rank in terms of player talent in the league we certainly are not in the top echelon of coaching talent.

It looked like Maas was going to break another headset at the end of second quarter and yes this is now a weekly occurrence. Its too bad we have a rookie 30 something GM because an established veteran GM would tell him that if it happens again he's going to be looking for a job in the scouting department of the T-Cats. It isn't high school football. Also, when you only have 1 challenge per game then you have to pick wisely. Do the EE not have any spotters to help him with these decisions?

I don't know what is up with Adarius Bowman. He is a remote shadow of what he was but I can't believe that he has gone downhill this fast? He always dropped them but made up for it with his circus catches. Whatever the case may be there is no way that the EE can afford to pay him 250K per season in 2018. Zylstra is definitely the best receiver on the club but of course with his size and skill he will get a look-see in the NFL and I wouldn't be surprised if he stuck down there. I'm sure that the NFL has already taken notice.

If Walker was a rookie he would have been cut after the last 2 games he has played. After a fast start Williams has not had much impact and perhaps Mitchell should start ahead of either Bowman or Williams.

Gable represents the first time in years that we have had a cold weather RB. This was a good trade on Sunderland's watch.

Well, I hope we stay in the cross-over spot because there is no way that we beat Winnipeg and Calgary on the road. I hate to say it but go Riders go.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Bowman isn't being targeted nearly as much anymore. Either he's not getting open, or Reilly isn't throwing to him anymore.

Also, that was vintage Ricky Ray at the end. That guy must have the most career tipped-at-the-LOS interceptions in the history of the game.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Makes no sense to me.

Challenging judgement calls has proven to be a waste. Maas' name is mud to officials by this point; he is simply not going to get any calls if it can possibly be avoided. Much better to save the challenge for black and white stuff like out of bounds, fumbles, catches. Not penalties.

From the stands it looked like Toronto clearly fumbled, I believe early in the second quarter. Why not challenge that? Oh ok, maybe he's saving it for the 4th quarter just in case, I'm ok with that... except then he wastes it not long after on what I would argue was a fairly inconsequential play. If you're gonna use it in the first half, it better be a sure thing and it better have a clear impact on the game. Not too bright to burn it on a judgement call.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Maas anger is more than a distraction. He seemingly gets angry to a degree where he is not clear headed and not thinking the game properly in real time. Thus resulting in random and impulsive challenge calls, plays being late arriving (the Esks lead the league in procedure calls, while waiting for plays to come in) by a country mile. Also results in random decisions. Lets not kick a FG here, oh, later we'll attempt one from further out..

But there was one moment yesterday that was inexplicable to me. The Esks had a 14-3 lead but the Argos were clearly coming and starting to take control of the ball game. The Esks offense had not been successful in the 2nd quarter in keeping the D off the field. So there the Esks are on their 20yd line and its third down and a shade less than a yard to go. The Eskimos have been near automatic on 3rd down gambles in this range. I felt it was essential to keep this drive going as to punt was going to give the Argos great field position and we have O Neil as a punter. So bloody gamble. Esks kick it, out of bounds, 15yd penalty and Argos take possession on our 40, instead of us retaining a drive, and the Argos put up points before the half is out changing the complexion of the game. Imaging if the Esks had sustained a drive there, a long drive, and killed most of the rest of the half. We could be going in to the half leading 17-3 or even 21-3.

Maas is not good at all of taking a pulse on the field and understanding the momentum of football. When the game is changing, when a drive is essential, when taking points is essential. He doesn't get this because he's so much in his head and not calm, and not in control. He's reactive and combustive and just trying to keep himself together. This is not leadership, at all.

Reactions: MoneyGuy

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Challenging judgement calls has proven to be a waste. Maas' name is mud to officials by this point; he is simply not going to get any calls if it can possibly be avoided. Much better to save the challenge for black and white stuff like out of bounds, fumbles, catches. Not penalties.

From the stands it looked like Toronto clearly fumbled, I believe early in the second quarter. Why not challenge that? Oh ok, maybe he's saving it for the 4th quarter just in case, I'm ok with that... except then he wastes it not long after on what I would argue was a fairly inconsequential play. If you're gonna use it in the first half, it better be a sure thing and it better have a clear impact on the game. Not too bright to burn it on a judgement call.

Curious to know what the criteria was for hiring Maas as Head Coach. Experience was clearly not on the list.
Havent seen much at all in almost 2 years to convince me that was qualified for this job.
I cant think of any coaches he will be able to out coach in a 1 game takes all format like the playoffs.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
D wasn't sharp either. When Chick is one of the best D on the field something is wrong. We have a lot of dudes here looking at somebody else to make a tackle, make a play. Another poster mentioned the Argos called the same play to success something like 7 times in a row. Greene at one point had caught 11/12 passes and uncharacteristically dropped the other one. At no point was there actual coverage. Anytime the Argos were dropping back to pass the best you could hope for was a sack, a tipped ball, or an Argo receiver dropping the ball. Rare was any time where the secondary was making a play.
As someone else mentioned we didn't stunt Ray much either. The absolute key to playing RR is to keep heat on him. To get to him. You HAVE to do that and not let him have time. The Esks D, as per usual, and schemes were right into RR hands.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
It was a great week of 'ball, with the average margin of victory being three points.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
On a positive note we finally have a RB, we have Grymes back making plays, and Bowman even catching a ball (slow sarcastic clap) We even have Chick making a solid contribution with some pressure, two knock downs, and decent control. We have a FG kicker that's better as well. We once again have top receiver in the league, Zylstra, worth price of admission on his own, and an offense that finally looks balanced.

We have a winning club while being the 2nd most injured team in the history of the CFL. We could still break the alltime record in injuries. I think we forget as well how many starters and key players are out all year.

We have all that and we're still better than most teams in the league.

That's all I got. ;)

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Despite all of the inherent flaws (management, coaching...et al) and all the injuries this team still has a chance to make some noise in the playoffs. All things considered that has to be considered a success.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Willis isn't hurt. The older defensive line playe s are being platooned. Last week Chick sat out this game it's Willis's turn. Hunt is next up,

I thought Chick and Willis had sat out several games in a row.
At least it seemed like it.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Esks had some early season success with a steady 4 man rush, but that ship has sailed. That has been one of Benevides calling cards his entire career up here. Get pressure from the front 4 and use the odd man advantage downfield to cover up a shoddy system and gameplan. It's not just Ray that withers from unexpected blitzes. I think most QB's will struggle with that. But when that 4 man pressure dries up like it has for the last 2 months, the dbacks and linebackers get eaten alive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad