Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Ty Rattie

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Rattie is playing well and IMO has earned another one year contract.

He didn’t sulk when he was almost immediately sent to the AHL, he sucked it up and was the best offensive player on a bad team. He worked hard, produced, earned a callup and is making the most of it.

If you don’t appreciate that, you’re a bit dead inside.
We've seen that movie and know how it ends. Rattie is an enigma that will leave fans frustrated but never ready to give up because he shows flashes of good play. He's the perfect example of an AHL/NHL tweener. Maybe he figures out how to play a complete game, but at this point, I doubt it. If Rattie is a permanent part of your NHL roster, either a) you have a really bad roster b) you are absolutely decimated with injuries.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
We've seen that movie and know how it ends. Rattie is an enigma that will leave fans frustrated but never ready to give up because he shows flashes of good play. He's the perfect example of an AHL/NHL tweener. Maybe he figures out how to play a complete game, but at this point, I doubt it. If Rattie is a permanent part of your NHL roster, either a) you have a really bad roster b) you are absolutely decimated with injuries.

And that’s entirely possible. Chemistry is a funny thing though and right now he’s gelling well with a great player and a very good one.

I’m not saying he’s some revelation, but he’s been productive and has been holding his own defensively as well. I’ll always have a soft spot for guys that carve out careers long past the time they had any business doing so.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009

If this were 2009, and you said Josh Bailey instead of Rattie, I would have totally agreed with you. Rattie can still put it together.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Signing him to a multiyear deal is stupid, when he hasn't produced outside of being on mcdavid's wing. Let him sink or swim
Not if its cheap, close to league minimum. If it's that cheap and he doesn't work on McDavid's wing (or anywhere else) next year, push him through waivers. If nothing else, he's cheap farm help in that scenario.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Well he is cutting it right now k lol this site is hilarious where some posters get all their knowledge from Hockey database on a player

How 'bout this then....a poster who doesn't need database stats to talk about him? Watched his ENTIRE minor league career with St. Louis as a Chicago Wolves season ticket holder of over 20+ years...in a nutshell...He's A Headcase... pure and simple! THIS is why he hasn't translated his skill to an NHL job. Granted YES he played behind some excellent players in St. Louis and had trouble cracking that line up..BUT...when he was sent down at the beginning of the year he sulked and put forth ZERO effort. He got a call up and then was put on waivers...does anyone remember the Carolina experiment??? They claimed him on waivers he played the first 2 games he was there and then was scratched until finally going back on waivers again and reclaimed by St Louis at the request of the Wolves, who were looking for scoring in the minors. He's a perfect example of the phrase of having the tools with no toolbox to put them in...he has the skill set to succeed, but he lacks the maturity to succeed. Maybe if/when he grows up and realizes that nobody is going to "gift"him an NHL job he'll finally figure it all out.

Reactions: 67Blues

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
How 'bout this then....a poster who doesn't need database stats to talk about him? Watched his ENTIRE minor league career with St. Louis as a Chicago Wolves season ticket holder of over 20+ years...in a nutshell...He's A Headcase... pure and simple! THIS is why he hasn't translated his skill to an NHL job. Granted YES he played behind some excellent players in St. Louis and had trouble cracking that line up..BUT...when he was sent down at the beginning of the year he sulked and put forth ZERO effort. He got a call up and then was put on waivers...does anyone remember the Carolina experiment??? They claimed him on waivers he played the first 2 games he was there and then was scratched until finally going back on waivers again and reclaimed by St Louis at the request of the Wolves, who were looking for scoring in the minors. He's a perfect example of the phrase of having the tools with no toolbox to put them in...he has the skill set to succeed, but he lacks the maturity to succeed. Maybe if/when he grows up and realizes that nobody is going to "gift"him an NHL job he'll finally figure it all out.

That’s what we’ve been telling you, man. It looks like he HAS grown up. The coaching staff in Bakersfield has been very complimentary of him and he’s worked very hard to earn his callup.

Some guys need a healthy dose of reality sometimes and it looks like a few years in the minors served as a bit of a wake up call for him.

Speaking of maturity it’s a little ironic that you mention his, when the only reason he even got a look with McDavid and RNH is Pontus Aberg slept in, missed practice, and pissed off the coaching staff. A player with supposed maturity issues gets his shot and runs with it due to another guy’s maturity issues. Life is funny.

Reactions: MikeFLB

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Well he is cutting it right now k lol this site is hilarious where some posters get all their knowledge from Hockey database on a player
Speaking as someone who has watched a bit of Rattie in the minors and NHL cups of coffee, I really don't think his skating is good enough to keep up with McDavid. Who knows tho, maybe he can put it together. If he does develop some chemistry with McDavid then the sky's the limit. I have nothing against the guy and wish him the best moving forward, but my guess is he ends up an AHL/NHL tweener.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
That’s what we’ve been telling you, man. It looks like he HAS grown up. The coaching staff in Bakersfield has been very complimentary of him and he’s worked very hard to earn his callup.

Some guys need a healthy dose of reality sometimes and it looks like a few years in the minors served as a bit of a wake up call for him.

Speaking of maturity it’s a little ironic that you mention his, when the only reason he even got a look with McDavid and RNH is Pontus Aberg slept in, missed practice, and pissed off the coaching staff. A player with supposed maturity issues gets his shot and runs with it due to another guy’s maturity issues. Life is funny.

While I understand and get what your saying...and MAYBE you are 100% correct MAYBE he's has figured it out...in my opinion I think it's going to take me more than a small sample size in Edmonton this year and 1 season in the AHL again to change my opinion of him.
For his sake I hope he has turned the corner, because he has the skill set to play in the NHL IF he's willing to do the work and not float like he did in Chicago...hell I'll bet he doesn't even know the name of the goaltenders he played with here. Guess what I'm saying is it's going to take more than a small NHL sample size and a contract year in the minors to convince me he's changed.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Speaking as someone who has watched a bit of Rattie in the minors and NHL cups of coffee, I really don't think his skating is good enough to keep up with McDavid. Who knows tho, maybe he can put it together. If he does develop some chemistry with McDavid then the sky's the limit. I have nothing against the guy and wish him the best moving forward, but my guess is he ends up an AHL/NHL tweener.

The ‘keep up with McDavid’ thing honestly needs to die. As someone who has watched every game of his NHL career, McDavid gels best not with the other speed demons, but with guys that are intelligent enough to find open ice, battle to get pucks back, and take the shots that are there.

On the rush, just get the f*** out of his way. No one can keep up.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Rattie is a better skater than Maroon

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
The ‘keep up with McDavid’ thing honestly needs to die. As someone who has watched every game of his NHL career, McDavid gels best not with the other speed demons, but with guys that are intelligent enough to find open ice, battle to get pucks back, and take the shots that are there.

On the rush, just get the **** out of his way. No one can keep up.

Rattie is a better skater than Maroon
It’s still early, but Rattie’s numbers look great so far...6 points in 7 games and a +7 is impressive stuff! Haven’t had a chance to really see him play, other than highlights, but wanted to hear from oilers fans about his play so far.

Does his actual play match up with his numbers, is he getting some lucky bounces, is his skating still an issue, is he really contributing or feeding off McDavid, etc?

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
What Rattie is away from McDavid is pretty irrelevant. If he has can be productive there, then good luck to him.

If Edmonton are swimming in cash, then offer him a multiyear deal at $1m or less. Worst case you're paying him a lot to be in the AHL with no cap repercussions. Best case you have a bargain for 2 or 3 years. No risk for the Oilers, and Rattie gets the chance to set himself up for life on the back of 15 games.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I have a feeling Vancouver could snag him this off-season, as it looks as Travis Green is trying to acquire all former Winterhawks in his day. Pouliot, Baertschi, Leipsic, guessing soon Petan and Rattie.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Does his actual play match up with his numbers, is he getting some lucky bounces, is his skating still an issue, is he really contributing or feeding off McDavid, etc?

Yes and no. Players like Hall and Eberle have ten thousand times the talent, but never clicked with McDavid because they refused to simplify their games. Rattie, RNH and formerly Maroon however understand the basic rules of playing with a force like 97: Get him the puck and get to open ice.

Rattie struggles with making plays at high speed, but his work on the boards and in front of the net has been fantastic. Again, he knows to keep it simple- get possession, pass to McDavid, get open. Even if Rattie doesn't score on the initial shot, McDavid is still able to turn rebounds into highlight reel goals.

I am highly skeptical that his current scoring pace continues, but if Rattie can be a 30-40 point winger for $1M for less, that's a big help cap-wise. RNH looks like he can be a 30-30-60 LW on that line long-term, which is also a major development.

Reactions: THall4

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
I have a feeling Vancouver could snag him this off-season, as it looks as Travis Green is trying to acquire all former Winterhawks in his day. Pouliot, Baertschi, Leipsic, guessing soon Petan and Rattie.

LOL never thought of that but you have a point there...

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
How was he playing this year ?

I'm sorry for being off topic but I'm curious

He didn't have a great start, but he's improved as the season has gone along to the point where most Oilers fans would be happy to have him back as the 3C next year. Seems to have a knack for helping underperforming linemates produce, which is incredibly useful on this team.

Reactions: SantaClaus

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
How was he playing this year ?

I'm sorry for being off topic but I'm curious
Awful until Christmas. He was bounced around the lineup and from C to W relentlessly while the coaches looked for a place where he "fit". Since they have put him at 3C full time, his game has come around a lot, and he seems to be playing confidently finally. It shows in his play. I'd be happy with him back at 3C

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
It’s still early, but Rattie’s numbers look great so far...6 points in 7 games and a +7 is impressive stuff! Haven’t had a chance to really see him play, other than highlights, but wanted to hear from oilers fans about his play so far.

He's contributing off of McDavid going beast mode. Knowing he can do that should get him another contract offer though. 2 years X 850K, and if he can play with McDavid full time, we have a cheap role player on our top line to help ease our salary concerns.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

On the rush, just get the **** out of his way. No one can keep up.

This. If Maroon could play with McDavid, then over half of the league has the speed to "keep up".

Reactions: THall4

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I doubt it if he had a good agent he would not advise that, Moulson agent knew exactly what he was doing when he advised Moulson To sign a discount conntract for 10/11 season for 1 year . because he knew playing with Tavares was going to lead to way more money down the road in his career , And it did he was a complete product of Tavares and signed a 5 year 25 million deal with Buffalo ,and is getting 5 million to play in minors. Rattie playing with McDavid will lead to a lot more money down the road than a extra few hundred G signing elsewhere

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Vancouver 1st for Caleb Jones?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad