Confirmed with Link: [EDM/TBL] Sam Gagner For Teddy Purcell; Then TBL Trades Gagner to ARZ Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
There is no contrition.

"Y'Obviously"

;)

To quote Ryan Smyth.

No worries, just thought it funny and good for a laugh.

I really would like to see what Sammy could do on a team that wasn't tanking. For his sanity I hope he sees that sometime in his career.

Anyway I'm glad this saga is done with except now we got an overpaid Purcell.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I was about to start a sign Penner thread a week ago - he'd be a good addition if he got back in shape. Beggers can't be choosers. We need to start winning games not being a farm team to others.

People still hate on Gagner? Sammy at least tries and his contract isn't brutal anymore... if anything, hate on Cody Hogdson who is softer/slower/worse and on the worst contract in the NHL.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I was about to start a sign Penner thread a week ago - he'd be a good addition if he got back in shape. Beggers can't be choosers. We need to start winning games not being a farm team to others.

People still hate on Gagner? Sammy at least tries and his contract isn't brutal anymore... if anything, hate on Cody Hogdson who is softer/slower/worse and on the worst contract in the NHL.

You must have missed the Penner joking about r a p e tweets and then his ongoing defending of the same.

I think teams are passing..I won't say more.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
When I think of this trade...

I think of that scene in the Simpsons Stonecutters episode where Homer is dragging the stone of shame. Upon a revelation, in this case, the trade, the stone is removed... Only to be saddled with the Stone of Triumph, something even larger than the stone of shame.

An anchor replaced by momentary joy only to be replaced by an even bigger anchor.

Worraps

Oct 23, 2011
Edmonton
For posterity:

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/n...-at-nhl-level--says-coyotes-gm-143850327.html

It took a year but Don Maloney finally figured out what about half this board has known for a very long time:

"At the end of the day we just didn't think he could play center at the National Hockey level for us," GM Don Maloney told the Coyotes website.

cJRf5.gif

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
For posterity:

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/n...-at-nhl-level--says-coyotes-gm-143850327.html

It took a year but Don Maloney finally figured out what about half this board has known for a very long time:

"At the end of the day we just didn't think he could play center at the National Hockey level for us," GM Don Maloney told the Coyotes website.

cJRf5.gif

Yup.

They were second last and we've been last last too many times trying to fit this square peg into a round hole.

Of course when they tried him on the wing in Edmonton he struggled offensively so... Guess we will see where/if he will get another contract and how long he can stick around the league.

Blue And Orange

Oilers & Seahawks
Jan 21, 2010
Toronto
Gagner's only chance to salvage his underwhelming career is to play wing. He's never been an NHL calibre centre. The only thing that's keeping him in the league is his offensive upside. Like Cogliano went from centre to wing, this is Gagner's only shot at redemption. Hope it works out for him in the end.

Oct 15, 2008
Cogliano has blazing speed. Gagner will never work on the wing. Too slow, too small and too weak.

I think he goes to Europe.

Blue And Orange

Oilers & Seahawks
Jan 21, 2010
Toronto
Cogliano has blazing speed. Gagner will never work on the wing. Too slow, too small and too weak.

I still think he has some upside to his game that he can somewhat salvage his career in the NHL.

Maybe playing in the East is better suited for his game. He won't have to go up against the big men out in the West.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Smart move by Philly. Lose Pronger's cap hit to a team needing to hit the salary floor, then gauge what they can do with Gagner's $3.2M contact.

41 points for $3.2M ain't that bad.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Smart move by Philly. Lose Pronger's cap hit to a team needing to hit the salary floor, then gauge what they can do with Gagner's $3.2M contact.

41 points for $3.2M ain't that bad.

Aside from this being Christmas for some posters on this board. ;)

I hope Gagner gets a chance to play on an Eastern club.

Anyway the 41 pts would have been considerably more if Hanzal had not gone down with injury. The two were working very well together. All Gagner ever needed is some size on a line.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.

Anyway the 41 pts would have been considerably more if Hanzal had not gone down with injury. The two were working very well together. All Gagner ever needed is some size on a line.

And a pair of these :)

58becb301d2b5d6f799e1c5fe775560e.jpg

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth

To think Voracheck was ranked ahead of him in the draft, but the Oil wanted Kane's setup man ;-)

The Oil love slow players, who they think they can teach speed.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park

Probably. He seemed to do well with Arcobello and Rieder on an absolutely trashed Coyotes lineup at the end of the year, with OEL propping up lesser lines, so little help from the d.

Sad that guys like Maloney need to take shots at players on their way out. I thought that was reserved for message board posters who revel in posting mocking pictures of their own team's players. Kind of amazed Maloney still has a job, actually.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Little do they know, he can't play wing either.

So basically, Samwise Gagner can't play in the NHL...at all.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Best of luck to him going forward, even if his career ends early he will always have bank, a beautiful wife and that 8 point game to hang his hat on.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I like Gagner and have defended him in the past, but why is this necessary? We've been over this far too many times. Some of us think Gagner is a decent NHLer who didn't get a fair shake, and some think he's trash and seem to revel in mocking him at every opportunity. Just let it go already. I don't see Horcoff threads continuing to be bumped.

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009
I like Gagner and have defended him in the past, but why is this necessary? We've been over this far too many times. Some of us think Gagner is a decent NHLer who didn't get a fair shake, and some think he's trash and seem to revel in mocking him at every opportunity. Just let it go already. I don't see Horcoff threads continuing to be bumped.

Quite disturbing even after all these years. Let it go people.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I still think he has some upside to his game that he can somewhat salvage his career in the NHL.

Maybe playing in the East is better suited for his game. He won't have to go up against the big men out in the West.

Lol... look at how pathetic Hodgson is out East who is just as slow (actually slower!) and bad defensively. I don't hate Sammy Snowpants as a person and he has ALWAYS given 100% no question, but he isn't a top-6 forward. He could carve out a Wellwood/D.Roy career as a complimentary $1M/year forward... bouncing around team to team.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
Hope he finds better luck on the Flyers, the guy has been on too many losing teams. Seems like a really nice guy.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
I wonder if our friend of the message board Tyler Dellow still thinks Samwise is on the verge of breaking out like Joe Thornton. :snide:

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Lol... look at how pathetic Hodgson is out East who is just as slow (actually slower!) and bad defensively. I don't hate Sammy Snowpants as a person and he has ALWAYS given 100% no question, but he isn't a top-6 forward. He could carve out a Wellwood/D.Roy career as a complimentary $1M/year forward... bouncing around team to team.

I would've been more sympathetic at his current plight if that was the case. He becomes the team's #2 center and is supposed to set an example to the younger guys by playing hard at both ends of the ice, but what does he do? He dogs it defensively (while not putting enough points to offset that). I don't think Sammy lasts much longer in the NHL without some major fixes to his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad