EDM SUN - Schedule out July 21 or 22

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjbhab*

I still don't understand the schedule, hopefully its out soon so I can have a looksy.

Jobu

Nov 17, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Trizent said:
Here is link to where 05-06 schedule is referred to:

http://www.edmontonsun.com/Sports/Friday/2005/07/15/1132728-sun.html

"On top of all that, fans have a date to circle on the calendar - the season opener [for Oilers] against Colorado Oct. 5, pending ratification of the CBA. The NHL schedule should be released next Thursday or Friday."

Can't find link to 7/14 for 04-05 schedule release, I didn't have it bookmarked.

It would make sense that they release it on the Thursday of the NHL re-launch.

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country
I posted elsewhere that I would expect US Cable TV partner(s) announced as well upon the relaunch. The only reason not to is if they want to announce it the following week, just to keep the NHL in the news again on another day. For the same reasoning, I could see the schedule out on a day different than the relaunch day. I am predicting Spike TV and ESPN(2) will be sharing the national US Cable rights 05-06.

Spungo*

Trizent said:
I posted elsewhere that I would expect US Cable TV partner(s) announced as well upon the relaunch. The only reason not to is if they want to announce it the following week, just to keep the NHL in the news again on another day. For the same reasoning, I could see the schedule out on a day different than the relaunch day. I am predicting Spike TV and ESPN(2) will be sharing the national US Cable rights 05-06.

Sweet. Is that based on anything or just a hunch? Cable TV is more important for the NHL than even the NBC deal is.

Freezerburn

Mar 20, 2003
J.T said:
Couldn't they just use last years schedule?

Arenas are used for other purposes than hockey, this all has to be factored into the schedule, not counting the fact that there is rumoured to be a different game pattern (unbalanced).

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country
It has been reported that Spike TV was in negociations with the NHL. Who knows to what level. I'll try to find the link.

As for ESPN(2), NHL playoffs do fine numbers for them (not great, but fine). I can see NHL bending over for ESPN.

So really my post is somewhere between a hunch and an inference.

EDIT: Spike thing was in the USA TODAY:

But executives at Spike TV told USA TODAY they've met with the NHL several times and are interested. "We are glad to hear the labor situation is resolved and we look forward to speaking with the NHL in the near future," says David Schwarz, spokesman for Viacom's cable network aimed at 18- to 34-year-old men

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Trizent said:
It has been reported that Spike TV was in negociations with the NHL. Who knows to what level. I'll try to find the link.

As for ESPN(2), NHL playoffs do fine numbers for them (not great, but fine). I can see NHL bending over for ESPN.

But executives at Spike TV told USA TODAY they've met with the NHL several times and are interested. "We are glad to hear the labor situation is resolved and we look forward to speaking with the NHL in the near future," says David Schwarz, spokesman for Viacom's cable network aimed at 18- to 34-year-old men

If I were the NHL, I make sure there is a no-compete clause. I would get on as many cable networks as I could like the NBA used to.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Trizent said:

Just to have an offshoot topic:

Would anyone be terribly upset if they went to Spike TV?

I'm not sure when pro wrestling's contract is up, but I heard somewhere that the WWF (I refuse to call them E) is musing over switching back to their old network, USA. If so, this would undoubtedly pave the way for the NHL on SpikeTV as their sole draw.

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country
futurcorerock said:
Just to have an offshoot topic:

Would anyone be terribly upset if they went to Spike TV?

I'm not sure when pro wrestling's contract is up, but I heard somewhere that the WWF (I refuse to call them E) is musing over switching back to their old network, USA. If so, this would undoubtedly pave the way for the NHL on SpikeTV as their sole draw.

Not sure if a property that will come in around 0.4 for regular season games is considered a draw. CSI reruns do around 1.0 I believe.

Spike would be fine as a secondary cable TV partner. But as a primary one? Not so good.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
J.T said:
Couldn't they just use last years schedule?

In addition to what's been mentioned, why would you want to. That would mean a Sunday afternoon matchup, specifically scheduled to be on a Sunday would then be on a Monday because it's a full year later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad