Confirmed with Link: [EDM/STL] David Perron for Magnus Paajarvi + 2nd '14 | Part 2

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Not sure how this trade can be debated. Absolute steal.
Magnus may develop into a solid two-way winger, but from what I saw he was solid until he crossed the offensive blueline then just seemed lost...not Smid lost...but uncertain about whether to pass or dump or shoot.

In a nutshell heres the deal. Paajarvi is a winger with speed who played on a club that dumped the puck out a lot. His success at gaining those dumps and holding possession any length of time was very limited.

Conversely explain how a player with such ordinary speed, Smyth, is able to corral so many of those loose pucks?

The difference is willingness to battle, endure pain, and make sacrifice. Magnus was never too much interested in that.
Magnus would retire from the game outright if he ever faced the punishment of one Smyth season. Any Smyth season.

STL is a good place for Magnus though. He has a whole lineup protecting him. Will it be enough? I doubt it.

Last edited:

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I don't recall Andrew ever being shy going to the net. Even in his rookie year.

Cogs was a player from the start, just wasn't going to be here longterm.

MPS is big and tall but somehow plays a much smaller game despite every physical advantage.

And this is why the oilers stink. Going to be a player but not here. I think the despite the great play of perron the declaration of a 'steal' has to be held of for a few years. We got a massive 'steal' in the penner traded and 2 or 3 years later we still have nothing in the NHL to show for it.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Its not totally impossible that the Blues find a player in there after all. I'm not totally up to speed on the Blues depth chart, but surely they wouldn't be giving MPS thirty two games for no reason. The real tell will be whether he sees the ice in the playoffs.

MPS has a minus six on a team where most forwards are double digit plus. And he only has forty shots on goal (safe to assume half of those are his patented hopeful wrister from the wall). Looking at his stats alone, there's no reason for a good club like the Blues to keep him on the big team. Yet he played nine minutes tonight and managed an assist. Somebody on the Blues must see something in this player.

Oilers win the trade for sure - imagine what we could get for Perron if we traded him tomorrow. But I'm not nearly as confident in saying that MPS will be back in Europe in two years as I was when he was Oiler property.

For the record the assist(on empty net goal) was an aimless clear under pressure from his own zone just banging it off the boards. Not a bad play and credit for clearing the zone. Laperiere outbattled defenders to get to the loose puck to ice the game. Paajarvi conversely would never have come up with that puck.

Also, if anybody wants to cite Paajarvi scoring a goal 5 games ago it came from the back of the net where an intended pass inadvertently went in off the goalies skate.

his other pt in last 15 games was also from back of net when his pass attempt was cleared by the goalies paddle and deflected right onto a shooter in the slot who finisned it.

I started looking and its almost comical how ineffectual Paajarvi is. Theres virtually not a stitch of offense beyond what looks to be almost entirely accidental. Potter looks to have more intent scoring goals...;)

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
I was pleased when the trade was made, but did not expect Perron to put up the numbers he has so far. Unfortunately, Pajaarvi seems to be trending towards one of those players that just can't seem to put it all together at the NHL level. Doesn't have the offensive game to play in the top 6 and doesn't play a style that makes him effective in a bottom 6 role.

A clear win for MacT.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
I was pleased when the trade was made, but did not expect Perron to put up the numbers he has so far. Unfortunately, Pajaarvi seems to be trending towards one of those players that just can't seem to put it all together at the NHL level. Doesn't have the offensive game to play in the top 6 and doesn't play a style that makes him effective in a bottom 6 role.

A clear win for MacT.

I agree. I am not so sure do we want to keep Perron long term. Return should be good if we decided to trade him.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
I think this thread keeps getting bumped because it's practically the only true feel good story of the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->