Confirmed with Link: [EDM/STL] David Perron for Magnus Paajarvi + 2nd '14 | Part 2

The Bored Man

5-14-6-1
Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton
Just not in terms of scoring goals, which is a little concerning. Don't you agree?

How about an avatar bet on who score more goals this year? Or goals per game, to account for injuries? Loser dons an avatar of the winner's choice for a month starting at the end of the regular season.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
How about an avatar bet on who score more goals this year? Or goals per game, to account for injuries? Loser dons an avatar of the winner's choice for a month starting at the end of the regular season.
This is a pretty hefty bet considering the greatness of your current avatar.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010

Hmm Perron on the Oilers or Paajarvi in St.Louis. Can I pick Perron? Maybe we'll have a deal.

chrisj

Mar 7, 2005
For anyone comparing Perron's and Paajarvi's goals last year, consider this:

EDM - 125 GF, the team finished 7th worst in the league
STL - 129 GF, the team finished 6th best in the league

It's not fair to compare the two. EDM was a much more offensive team that STL was last year. STL plays a defensive system... therefore you'd expect Perron to score less than he actually can.

CanadianCommie

Cold North Comrade
Jul 25, 2006
Sherwood Park, AB
The more I chew on it the more I like it. I consider this a pretty good upgrade at LW; there are still a lot of holes on the team (big winger, possible centre upgrade, more bottom 6 depth etc.) but Perron will help the team quite a bit.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Just walked in the door and saw this, my first thought is that Perron's concussion history is a big concern.

rec28

Dec 16, 2003
Vancouver Island
Visit site
Great trade. When was the last time the Oilers traded a "maybe-could-turn-into" for a "done it"? I know the site is called Hockey's Future but trading potential for proven is a good thing to do once in a while. Notwithstanding raw size (though PRV never played like a big man anyway), our top 6 is much stronger today than if was yesterday.

Not sure how "bold" it was, but definitely a strong move by MacT.

The Bored Man

5-14-6-1
Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton
This is a pretty hefty bet considering the greatness of your current avatar.

Like Mac-T, I'm all about BOLD moves.

Hmm Perron on the Oilers or Paajarvi in St.Louis. Can I pick Perron? Maybe we'll have a deal.

You compared Perron and MPS' goal production and said that it was concerning how Perron isn't a better goal scorer. Neither player will be a primary weapon on their team. The Blues scored ONE more goal than the Oilers last year.

Enough excuses. Are you chicken? :naughty:

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Just walked in the door and saw this, my first thought is that Perron's concussion history is a big concern.
Perron has had one, from a cheapshot by Joe Thornton three years ago. He hasn't missed a game since returning (120 games).

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
For anyone comparing Perron's and Paajarvi's goals last year, consider this:

EDM - 125 GF, the team finished 7th worst in the league
STL - 129 GF, the team finished 6th best in the league

It's not fair to compare the two. EDM was a much more offensive team that STL was last year. STL plays a defensive system... therefore you'd expect Perron to score less than he actually can.

Ummmm.... They scored nearly the identical number of goals, so how does the philosophy of how they got there matter?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
My second thought is that Berglund and Paajarvi will make 2/3's of a great line for St. Louis.

My 3rd thought is that I believe that we got the player with the highest skill level in the trade and a bit of a pest element.

JawandaPuck

Lost Art of Dynasty
Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver BC
jawandapuck.blogspot.com
I like David Perron over Paajarvi. I just thought better asset management could have been achieved if MacT signed instead a similar player in UFA Clarke MacArthur (who IMO was a legitimate possibility considering TOR didn't re-sign him).

I am guessing though that MacT fully expected to sign David Clarkson instead with his bigger offer, but when Clarkson signed for less in TOR, MacT was left with no better option then to go down the trade route.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
I'm just happy we finally made a trade that improved the on-ice product. Aside from the Fraser-Smyth deal where the incoming player basically traded himself, did Tambo even make one of those kinds of trades? And MacTavish did so less than a week after the start of free agency.

The trade itself, I feel is a bit of an overpay simply because of the extra salary we're taking on (or rather, we're likely to be taking on) should've been reflected more in the return we gave up. But there's no question we're walking away with the better player, and those deals have been a rarity in Edmonton the last few years.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Given his numbers since coming back from his concussion I'm not that worried about it, other than a mild concern about taking future blows to the head.

Fair enough, concussions can happen to anyone, that's just the first thing that popped into my head when I found out that we landed Perron.

And people said the same about Patrice Bergeron.

Well as long as he stays healthy I think that this has the potential to be a good trade for us.

Perron has had one, from a cheapshot by Joe Thornton three years ago. He hasn't missed a game since returning (120 games).

Thanks for the specifics, I just remembered him missing a TON of time from his concussion or concussions and that was a big concern from me.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
You compared Perron and MPS' goal production and said that it was concerning how Perron isn't a better goal scorer. Neither player will be a primary weapon on their team. The Blues scored ONE more goal than the Oilers last year.

Enough excuses.

We were talking about this last season specifically :laugh:

The numbers from last season are :

Goals per 60/m

Paajarvi: 0.71
Perron: 0.70

Fact is fact I was just pointing out numbers, I even said in the first thread that Perron is a better offensive player, you'd be crazy to not think otherwise, he had a disappointing year last year though and Paajarvi had a pretty nice stretch going... still crazy that the guy who has historically had troubles scoring goals over his career matched Perrons numbers albeit on a different team. Just felt like it was worth pointing out, that's all. Not trying to make excuses.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
I will repost this with a link this time Perron Defensive game seems under rated , I'm starting to warm to this trade look at names above in takeaway category http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats....LALL&sort=takeaways&viewName=rtssPlayerStatsy for LW

for everyones viewing pleasure :

7lNlvfx.png

I had no idea Skinner lead all LW's in takeaways this year, pretty impressive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->