Confirmed with Link: [EDM/STL] Anders Nilsson for Niklas Lundström and 2016 5th round pick

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
So a backup for Etu in Bakersfield and a pick. I imagine the Oilers are just as high on Etu long term as they were Anders?

He had great numbers in the ECHL this year and really hasnt played much...ever. Maybe our goalie coach sees something he can work with.

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
So do the Oilers use Lundstrom as the backup to Talbot and run with Brossoit in the AHL to finish out the year?

IAGTTAYM

Dec 15, 2006
Lundström played for Sweden in the 12-13 WJC, did really well if I remember correctly. Probably an ok backup at the AHL-level.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Lundström played for Sweden in the 12-13 WJC, did really well if I remember correctly. Probably an ok backup at the AHL-level.

Yep.... He had a .944 spct, albeit in only 4 games. Seemed like a good prospect at the time... So sure, let's see.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Meh. We paid a 5th round prospect for an experiment, it failed, we got a 5th round pick back for better management to make a decision with.

Unless Coughlin becomes a star, this was good asset management. Nothing more, nothing less.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
So do the Oilers use Lundstrom as the backup to Talbot and run with Brossoit in the AHL to finish out the year?

I wouldnt be surprised to see them shuffle LB back and forth to get him two starts on the odd weekend in Bakersfield and them have him come up and start in Edmonton and be a backup for a game. Then call up one of the Euros to be strictly NHL backup and target practice for a week when LB gets sent down to get starts.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Meh. We paid a 5th round prospect for an experiment, it failed, we got a 5th round pick back for better management to make a decision with.

Unless Coughlin becomes a star, this was good asset management. Nothing more, nothing less.

So what youre saying is there is zero chance this was bad asset management. :handclap:

Wreckus

Feb 21, 2016
I wouldnt be surprised to see them shuffle LB back and forth to get him two starts on the odd weekend in Bakersfield and them have him come up and start in Edmonton and be a backup for a game. Then call up one of the Euros to be strictly NHL backup and target practice for a week when LB gets sent down to get starts.

Possible but it's more likely that LB stays up as backup for Talbot and gets some games in so the coaching staff & management can see how well he does in the NHL.

If LB does well, he'll stay up in the NHL next year as backup.

If LB doesn't do well, he stays in the AHL next year to get more starts in and Chia goes in the backup goalie market in the offseason.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Possible but it's more likely that LB stays up as backup for Talbot and gets some games in so the coaching staff & management can see how well he does in the NHL.

If LB does well, he'll stay up in the NHL next year as backup.

If LB doesn't do well, he stays in the AHL next year to get more starts in and Chia goes in the backup goalie market in the offseason.

Kinda what I was getting at, kind of like a rotation where he would play a few games here over two weeks, then go to Bakersfield and play like 3 games in a week. Then come back up and do it again.

Might be too much hassle, but I think its still important that he still gets enough game action.

I also agree with it being a tryout and if he falters CHia can easily grab a NHL level backup for insurance next year. Feels nice to know that we actually have a #1 in Talbot locked up.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Decent return. I don't have much hope on Lundström becoming an NHLer but that's alright. We basically got back what we paid for him and he had a couple of good games here, more than Coughlin would have, so all-in-all it worked out pretty well.

Also nice for Brossoit to get a real shot. Him and Talbot could be a pretty decent tandem for next year. Hopefully he'll get a chance to prove himself during the remainder of the season and secure himself that backup role for next year.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

Failed is a little harsh. That stretch Nilsson had in December was tantalizing. Maybe it was the motivation Talbot needed to up his game?

To get a body back that fills a need on the farm and a pick back is a very good return.

Yet another example of a solid under the radar move by a professional GM. Good work Chia!

The Oilers have announced they have recalled Brossoit.

NedPlimpton

Mar 23, 2013
Near Fantastica
Best of luck to Nilsson, we certainly saw the best and worst of him.

I've no doubt he's a quality goaltender and has a lot to offer a team so long as he can be more consistent (and has good D around him).

Other than that I have no strong feelings one way or another about this move.

Will be nice to see more LB action, though.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Good move for St. Louis as you know any ex-oiler will shine against when we play them. What is that 3 games next year?

easternrefugee

Jun 24, 2013
Bakersfield, CA
We here in Bako got screwed. Eetu is not ready to be a #1 here but he is. Word has it that the draft pick acquired will be flipped before Monday. This single event could cause us to
Miss the play offs.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
We here in Bako got screwed. Eetu is not ready to be a #1 here but he is. Word has it that the draft pick acquired will be flipped before Monday. This single event could cause us to
Miss the play offs.

Meh, fans in Edmonton have been getting screwed for almost a decade. You speak of this mythical thing called "the playoffs" I have heard of it but it has not been seen around these parts for many years.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
Miss the play offs.

Not to sound like a dick..But the Condors making the playoffs is the last thing I care about. They run to many AHL vets near the top of their team. They need to be more like the Sens farm team and be loaded with our young guys. Slepy was on the fourth line last night, Klink on the first. I know Klink is playing well down there, but our future players should be playing.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
We here in Bako got screwed. Eetu is not ready to be a #1 here but he is. Word has it that the draft pick acquired will be flipped before Monday. This single event could cause us to miss the play offs.

I think this deal came together pretty fast though and caught Chiarelli by surprise as Nilsson got sat last minute. The feelings might have been mutual between the club and the player between not offering a new contract/re-signing with the team so excellent move by Chiarelli...maybe he acquires another NHL backup on an expiring contract to back up Talbot to keep LB fresh in Bakersfield; I guess we will see in the next 48-50+ hours.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Miss the play offs.

Oilers need to see if LB can be relied upon at NHL level. They also need to see what they have in Laurikainen. Who knows if Lauri falters they might send LB back down after a short stint up with big club.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Not to sound like a dick..But the Condors making the playoffs is the last thing I care about. They run to many AHL vets near the top of their team. They need to be more like the Sens farm team and be loaded with our young guys. Slepy was on the fourth line last night, Klink on the first. I know Klink is playing well down there, but our future players should be playing.
I agree and disagree.

A lot of our prospects haven't played that we'll is year down there so they shouldn't be spoon fed ice time.

People complain about our rookies getting too much ice time up here when they can't handle it so why is it any different down there?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad