Confirmed Trade: [EDM/NYI] Jordan Eberle for Ryan Strome

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
This trade can't be judged only based on what each guy is doing now. In Edmonton's case, we had to move Eberle, the fans and media had turned on him, especially after the playoffs, and he even said that he wanted out I think. So it's what Strome is doing vs what Eberle would have done had we kept him. Eberle might have scored a little more, but not enough to make his salary worthwhile.

Seems to be working out well for the Islanders though.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Can Edmonton trade Strome to Columbus for Murray ?

Are you implying we could have traded Eberle to Columbus for Murray? I imagine that CBJ fans would have significant objections about that.

Anyway, I'm glad Ebs is playing well. In a way he had given up on the Oilers, but I think it was largely because the Oilers(and the fans) had given up on him first.

Reactions: Viqsi

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Eberle was the reason why I became an Oilers fan, glad to see he is doing well on the Island. Strome has actually been better than I expected and provides Todd with some flexibility being able to play him at C or RW.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
ahhhh you win some and lose some trades.. big deal... key is it opened up cap space for Oilers this season and next season

I gotta say though, Eberle and Barzal have unreal chemistry. Woulda been cool to have seen that chemistry on the Oilers

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
This trade can't be judged only based on what each guy is doing now. In Edmonton's case, we had to move Eberle, the fans and media had turned on him, especially after the playoffs, and he even said that he wanted out I think. So it's what Strome is doing vs what Eberle would have done had we kept him. Eberle might have scored a little more, but not enough to make his salary worthwhile.

Seems to be working out well for the Islanders though.

No it's not. Because there are 30 teams you can trade with, and on each team, a bunch of different potential combinations of trades that could be done.

This wasn't a binary option of keep Eberle or get Strome. Chiarelli made a bad trade, and should have gotten better value.

Shouldn't be a surprise, look what he got for Seguin, what he gave up for Reinhart, etc. He's not the best trader out there.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Eberle is 6th in Islanders scoring on a team scoring a lot of goals. On the Oilers this season I doubt Eberle would have many more points then Strome does considering the Oilers scoring troubles thus far. Eberle only scores points if he is surrounded by other guys creating a lot of offense. Eberle is overrated and I am glad the Oilers got rid of him and his contract.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
No it's not. Because there are 30 teams you can trade with, and on each team, a bunch of different potential combinations of trades that could be done.

This wasn't a binary option of keep Eberle or get Strome. Chiarelli made a bad trade, and should have gotten better value.

Shouldn't be a surprise, look what he got for Seguin, what he gave up for Reinhart, etc. He's not the best trader out there.

You honestly think that Chiarelli didn't take the best offer he received?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Eberle's true value to the Islanders right now isn't in the amount of points he's putting up, it's helping mold Barzal into a legit NHL superstar with the chemistry these two have developed. If Weight wanted to force Eberle into playing on the Lee-Tavares line, he'd probably be a lot closer to Bailey's 26 points than 14, but it's more important to finally have two legit scoring lines. We're now fourth in the NHL in goals scored, and capable of putting up 5 goals against any team on any night.

I disagree here, both Tavares and Lee's output increased the second Bailey got put back on that line and in the case of Eberle his point production dramatically increased as well playing with Barzal. it's a basic case that certain players click with eachother and others don't

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet

I can see some scenarios where he was offered some asset packages that have better material value than Ryan Strome, and he opted to try and get the player fit instead, for his team that he thought might contend this season.

Not that outrageous really.

yangmang

Sep 28, 2006
this was the oilers worst trade ever cant believe they havent fired their gm. wait actually thats a good thing for rest of nhl. ha sucks it oilers fans

613Leafer

May 26, 2008

I think he does a poor job at assessing talent and took a bad trade, yes.

You think Reinhart is the best piece he could have gotten for a mid 1st + high 2nd? Of course not, it was a bad trade based on a poor assessment of talent.

Reactions: Szechwan

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008

No GM thinks they're taking a bad deal but fact is Chiraelli's had other options and his evaluation skills look to be terrible.

Chiarelli inherited an awesome situation with Drai having just been drafted and McDavid about to be drafted but he's been an awful GM for the Oilers so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->