Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Milan Lucic (7 years, $6.000M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
Lucic is a very effective player and will be good for Edmonton for at least 3 years. I'm happy the Canucks didn't sign him but for reasons that don't apply to Edmonton. Hoping you guys get out of the basement next season and move into the bubble team category.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Really? I can't believe he wasn't drawn to the Galchenyuk factor:sarcasm:

Maybe if we traded Patch away for pennies on the dollar to open up a spot to overpay for Lucic to play there he would have considered it. Our "loss" I guess.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
A deal like this makes more sense for a team like Anaheim. They gave Kesler stupid term because they're ready to win now and when Kesler falls off, so will Getzlaf and Perry more than likely and their window will be closed.

Is EDM a contender in 3 years? Pittsburgh and Chicago turned their **** around in that time frame, but they also had better cores. Sid, Malkin, Staal, Gonchar, Fleury. Toews, Kane, Keith, Seabrook.

I can see that contract needing bought out when it comes time to pay some of their other younger players right when they're really ready to compete.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
A deal like this makes more sense for a team like Anaheim. They gave Kesler stupid term because they're ready to win now and when Kesler falls off, so will Getzlaf and Perry more than likely and their window will be closed.

Is EDM a contender in 3 years? Pittsburgh and Chicago turned their **** around in that time frame, but they also had better cores. Sid, Malkin, Staal, Gonchar, Fleury. Toews, Kane, Keith, Seabrook.

I can see that contract needing bought out when it comes time to pay some of their other younger players right when they're really ready to compete.

Can't really buy the contract out with how its structured because it doesn't save much cap space at all. I don't think it will be that big of an issue. Guys like McDavid, Draisaitl and Puljujarvi will receive their big contracts before it expires, but Eberle's is off the books in 3 years if we choose to walk away from him, and Nuge in 5 years. Klefbom's already locked up for 7 more years, and Larsson for 5 more at very affordable contracts.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Gonchar and Hossa were solid vets that helped them to take that next step. We need solid vets and Lucic is exactly that.

• Haha
Reactions: Burt Macklin

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006

The Oilers can always trade Lucic if he falls off. It drops to like $3 million in real salary in the last season. If they pay his bonus and then trade him the team picking up Lucic will be on the hook for less then $2million.

Sep 18, 2009
The Oilers can always trade Lucic if he falls off. It drops to like $3 million in real salary in the last season. If they pay his bonus and then trade him the team picking up Lucic will be on the hook for less then $2million.

Who is going to want elderly Lucic

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Gonchar and Hossa were solid vets that helped them to take that next step. We need solid vets and Lucic is exactly that.

I get that, but they were still elite players when their respective teams were ready to compete.

If you're fine with Lucic being part of a transition to winning hockey, that's cool. But I wouldn't bet on him being a good player by the time you're a factor in the playoffs.

He reeks of a Dustin Brown/David Clarkson type dropoff in the next few years.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Who is going to want elderly Lucic

Well let's see. In the last 3 or so years we've seen a guy that's been retired by concussions get his cap traded (Pronger), a guy that's retired and went home to Russia get traded (Datsyuk), a guy that many thought was untradeable get traded for another guy that's retired (Clarkson for Horton). If Lucic can still play he can be moved IF we decide to move him at that point.

I get that, but they were still elite players when their respective teams were ready to compete.

If you're fine with Lucic being part of a transition to winning hockey, that's cool. But I wouldn't bet on him being a good player by the time you're a factor in the playoffs.

He reeks of a Dustin Brown/David Clarkson type dropoff in the next few years.

We could be a factor in short order, if we add a RH PP point guy we are a playoff caliber team with one of the best players in the world leading the charge.

Conversely look at guys like Doan, Iginla and Hartnell that keep on ticking year after year. Saying that he will or won't be worth a damn in 5-7 years is nothing but guesses, Winnipeg went all in with Byfuglien who is older and heavier. I'm perfectly fine with the risk given his current age and health history.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Some of you are ridiculous. He's only 28 and has continually been one of the best conditioned athletes on his teams. He may not be a top line player for the full 7 years but that's what buying free agents is all about. No team is immune to it. Unless he suffers a significant injury between now and then I guarantee the Oilers are going to get 4-5 solid years from him. After that he has enough leadership and toughness to still be a very effective 3rd liner. A 33yr old+ Lucic will still be able to lay out 90% of the league.

The Oilers needed Lucic and a Lucic style of player more than any other team in the NHL. He instantly makes everyone around him feel just a little bit bigger. He is exactly what McDavid needs for his development. Between Lucic and some other players they've brought in the Oilers will no longer be pushed around by other teams. No longer are they going to be easy to play against. This deal was about as good as I've seen from a UFA signing in recent memory. As far as an on ice need goes. I think he has the biggest positive impact than any other new acquisition of any team.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
I really don't care what Nurse does against our AHL team.
Then don't bring them to NHL games

I'm not sure why you are bringing him into this thread?

That's the million dollar question HaleyDestoryedNurse, what could it be?
dc6L0PI.gif

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Some of you are ridiculous. He's only 28 and has continually been one of the best conditioned athletes on his teams. He may not be a top line player for the full 7 years but that's what buying free agents is all about. No team is immune to it. Unless he suffers a significant injury between now and then I guarantee the Oilers are going to get 4-5 solid years from him. After that he has enough leadership and toughness to still be a very effective 3rd liner. A 33yr old+ Lucic will still be able to lay out 90% of the league.

The Oilers needed Lucic and a Lucic style of player more than any other team in the NHL. He instantly makes everyone around him feel just a little bit bigger. He is exactly what McDavid needs for his development. Between Lucic and some other players they've brought in the Oilers will no longer be pushed around by other teams. No longer are they going to be easy to play against. This deal was about as good as I've seen from a UFA signing in recent memory. As far as an on ice need goes. I think he has the biggest positive impact than any other new acquisition of any team.

Somebody gets it and understands our team needs as well as what Looch brings to the table.

Then don't bring them to NHL games

dc6L0PI.gif

:laugh: :handclap:

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
dc6L0PI.gif

This is a thread about Milan Lucic. What does my avatar or name have to do with anything?

No one has been able to critique any claims I made. I'll take that as an admission that I'm right.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
If you get a tattoo on your forehead expect it to be brought up

What? That doesn't make sense. Everyone here with an avatar has "a tattoo on their forehead". What does my name and avatar have to do with anything?

I'll ask again, is this not a Milan Lucic thread? Is anyone going to actually break down on-topic posts or are we just going to make fun of other posters? Come on now...

TKB21

Oct 27, 2013
What? That doesn't make sense. Everyone here with an avatar has "a tattoo on their forehead". What does my name and avatar have to do with anything?

I'll ask again, is this not a Milan Lucic thread? Is anyone going to actually break down on-topic posts or are we just going to make fun of other posters? Come on now...

I think the point that's being made is your avatar is ridiculous and childish. Congrats to Haley for winning a fight against a rookie, its a shame he's a terrible hockey player.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Why would Couture ever fight Lucic?

Lucic doesn't have the edgework to keep up with Couture, he's rather agile.

Can we get this back on topic please?

Well he caught up to him this last season. It was nice to see someone wipe the smile off of that jackass.Couture is one of the players that I dislike the most in the NHL. I respect most of the Sharks, but I can't stand Couture.

It is on topic in the sense that Lucic doesn't give a crap if you're a skilled guy or a good, he'll run your show if you poke the bear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad