Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Fewer goals? Check
Fewer points? Check
More expensive? Check
Trading away recently acquired veteran FA? Check

If I'm LA I take this deal and run!

/s
There's obviously more to the trade, but taking it at face value, Cammi definitely seems the better player at their ages

Last edited:

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
I'm willing to bet Cammy's corsi goes way up in McLellan's system
Jokinen was never going to "break out" if you watched the games...slow, and devoid of offense
and thats when he played
Cammy does 1 of 2 things when he gets the puck shoots or turns it over. He does both well:)

Reactions: ScoreZeGoals

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Cammalleri is pretty much done as a top 6 player, but he can still be useful on the PP. Oilers probably get a few PP goals out of him which is already better than what JJ brought to the table.

Cammy has never been 2-way player, maybe the Kings felt like they wanted someone better suited for a bottom 6 role, and when Gaborik returns he's basically just another Cammalleri in the lineup.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Nope. John Stevens scratched little Cammalleri multiple times this season. I see no problem bringing in the bigger more defensive Jokinen for the bottom 6.

Whether or not Cammalleri was scratched doesn't really have anything to do with how horrible Jokinen has been. At least Cammalleri has brought some offense this year. Jokinen hasn't been positive in any way whatsoever

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
If Gaborik is ready to come back and the kings needed a roster spot, then Andreoff could easily be sent down and buried. Andreoff is making $677,500 and hasn't scored a goal in over 50 games.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Cammalleri may have 7 points, but he did that damage in just three games. One four point night courtesy of Adrian Kempe heavily obscures just how ineffective he has been.

The rest of the time he has been well behind the play. He has little desire for board work or puck recovery. His defensive efforts are just waving his stick at passersby. He just floats to the slot and expects to be fed.

It's addition by subtraction for LA. They are experiencing a reinvigorated work ethic, and Cammalleri has been dogging it.

No idea what to expect from Jokinen, but even if it was just cap hit for cap hit, the Kings are ridding themselves of a very likely feel-bad story.

SlimCharles

Kings & Sabres
Dec 7, 2011
Los Angeles
Cammalleri may have 7 points, but he did that damage in just three games. One four point night courtesy of Adrian Kempe heavily obscures just how ineffective he has been.

The rest of the time he has been well behind the play. He has little desire for board work or puck recovery. His defensive efforts are just waving his stick at passersby. He just floats to the slot and expects to be fed.

It's addition by subtraction for LA. They are experiencing a reinvigorated work ethic, and Cammalleri has been dogging it.

No idea what to expect from Jokinen, but even if it was just cap hit for cap hit, the Kings are ridding themselves of a very likely feel-bad story.

Good point.

Reactions: Fixxer

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Cammalleri scored 4 of his 7 points in one game on October 18th and 2 points in a game on Nov 2nd.

He's pretty much done as a productive player, and without the puck he's useless.

This is pretty much a old slow doofus for an old slow doofus.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Isn't that pretty much a Win-Win then?

Oilers, who have poor d zone coverage compensated by puck possession ,trade for a guy who has been a giveaway machine this year qho has struggled in the d zone and at his age and lack of foot speed will tank the one thing they were good at (puck possession). Cammy doesn't fix their PK and likely does little for their LHS heavy PP (McDavid/Draisaitl/Maroon/RNH/Lucic)either.

L.A., who finally got a bit of depth scoring this year and had the goaltending and d zone coverage to compensate Cammy's shortcomings, trade away a guy with 7 points for a guy who is on year 2 of a prolonged slump. Their RHS heavy PP (Carter, Toffoli, Gaborik, Brown) just lost one of their deadliest left shots outside of Kopitar/Kempe/Pearson.

It feels like a lose - lose if ever I saq one. Minor trade overall but one that makes zero sense to me.

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
Why are people so focused on the points this season? It's 6 measly points different.

Also: Cammalleri has a 43% Fenwick & 102 PDO; Jokinen 63% and 92 PDO.

It's not a win for EDM by any means. It's a wait and see in a lateral trade.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
This is an advanced stat move for LA. Cammalleri was last on the team in Corsi and Jokinen was 9th best on the Oilers. LA would rather have Jokinen put up 10pts over the rest of the season while maintaining a positive Corsi than have Cammalleri put up 40pts while being last on the team in Corsi. It's the kind of thinking that contributed to them struggling to score for years. It's odd because they sacrificed Corsi this year in exchange for scoring and then they do this, which feels like a very Lombardi/Sutter-era kind of move.

Even though Cammalleri had the worst Corsi on the team, he actually had a positive GF/GA ratio, with 7 EV goals scored for while he was on the ice and only 5 scored against. Jokinen, in contrast and despite his good Corsi, had a negative ratio, with 1 goal scored for while he was on the ice and 4 against. This reminds me of some research that I recently did, which found that Muzzin has been on the ice for more EV goals scored against than for over the last 4 years, yet the organization loves him for his possession stats. For some reason, LA cares more about shot ratio than goal ratio.

Last edited:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

I don't understand a flash of dominance being looked at as a bad thing, honestly.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I see it as a deal that makes sense for both teams, wouldn't say win-win because I am not sure either guy is any good, so I can see why Oiler fans would like it, I am assuming you are an Oilers fan.

My bigger issue was the huge win comment. There is no huge win when players who are playing like these guys are are involved.
There is definitely no "huge win." Both guys are olds balls on tail end of their careers and were both bought out in their previous contracts... nothing too appealing there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad