Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] F Sam Gagner signs with the Oilers (1 year, $775k, two-way)

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
So waiving an AHL'er for a cooked ex-NHLer tells me the Oilers have nothing on the farm that's worth a damn.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Looking for depth scoring.
And he's getting it tonight.

Gagner with 2 goals, +2, 3 hits, 5 shots, 80% on draws in about 13 minutes tonight. You've gotta' be happy for the guy after all of the work he put in to get another shot.
It's really good to see a veteran stepping up and taking matters into his own hands.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Great effort tonight but that tells you something about the lack of effort the Oilers have been displaying all season. Good for the bottom six but Gagner isn't Gagner of 2009.

Reactions: LTIR

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Oilers need to do something. They keep pissing away another year of McDavid and Drai. I don't know why they do that. Some part of time limit they can't understand.

Look at Tampa, moved all those picks but got 3 finals and 2 cups. If they don't do them they go out in second round each year.

What's the picks anyway? Add right player they drafting the 30s anyway. Stats show that's a 50% chance at getting average player.

I'll go to my grave never understand why that regime threw all those cups away.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Oilers need to do something. They keep pissing away another year of McDavid and Drai. I don't know why they do that. Some part of time limit they can't understand.

Look at Tampa, moved all those picks but got 3 finals and 2 cups. If they don't do them they go out in second round each year.

What's the picks anyway? Add right player they drafting the 30s anyway. Stats show that's a 50% chance at getting average player.

I'll go to my grave never understand why that regime threw all those cups away.
In all fairness he did just move a 1st and their 2022 first for Ekholm.

I'm fine with not making a deal right now. Wait and see what is out there. Forcing a trade this early when your team is clearly beating themselves isn't the answer. We are better on paper right now than we were a year ago, so I don't think there is an urgency to make a deal today.

They also have some guys with lingering issues to go with a lot of potential internal options. I rather wait until the new year to start making big trades.

Great effort tonight but that tells you something about the lack of effort the Oilers have been displaying all season. Good for the bottom six but Gagner isn't Gagner of 2009.
The hope is what Gagner may lack in on ice skills he will offset that with effort on the ice and veteran leadership on the bench and in the locker room.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
In all fairness he did just move a 1st and their 2022 first for Ekholm.

I'm fine with not making a deal right now. Wait and see what is out there. Forcing a trade this early when your team is clearly beating themselves isn't the answer. We are better on paper right now than we were a year ago, so I don't think there is an urgency to make a deal today.
Once, which is not enough. Once those stars get past 30 it's not long before they go from stars to good players. Which will drop the team.

You have a 8-10 year window. Way you do it is trade your picks for players to get cup. Once guys like Nurse, RNH, Leon are on their back years you trade them to cup contender, get your picks back. It speeds up your rebuild.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad