Rumor: Edler might be on the block along with several other players

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
I dont think Edler is considered a tough or mean or bruising or hard to play against dman regardless of statistical height

he simply isnt what we lack or what we need

our problem is a lack of high impact forwards in particular ones with size(and not just on paper)

I don't think you've seen much of Edler...

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Right-handed Edler could be some major piece to pursue, but another left-hander...

If UFA yes, but trade would be too costly.

pdd

Feb 7, 2010
He also makes defensive mistakes galore. Bieksa is the #1 defensive defenseman on that team.

Bieksa looks great defensively... when he plays with Hamhuis.

Hamhuis looks great defensively... when he plays hockey.

Hamhuis is also a capable puck mover.

Hckytwn

Don't do it Kenny...
Jul 9, 2010
Seattle, WA
Do we want another offensive defenseman?

We want a better offensive defenseman. He's about equivalent to Kronwall now, but is 5 years younger. He'd give us a lot more PP options too.

I'd rather trade for Kesler.

Edler isn't a true #1 d-man.

I'm fine with Kronwall, Big E, DD, Kindl, Smith as our core moving forward with XO and Sproul on the way.

Of course he's a #1 Defenseman. People love to dog on Vancouver, but they have a good defense corps and Edler led them all in ice time. Too often on these boards it seems like unless a guy is a Norris candidate, folks believe he's not a "#1 D-Man". :laugh:

Just like acquiring any player, it all comes down to price, but replacing Quincey with Edler would instantly make our back-end solid--and depending on how Kindl, DD and Smith develop, maybe even breaking the top 5 D-corps.

And, no we don't want Kesler... too much injury risk there.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
I looked at cap geek today and the salary cap actually decreased for next season? does current contract get prorated or stays same?

I expect alot of movement if it does not get prorated. also I expect alot of teams to get weaker next season excluding us.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I looked at cap geek today and the salary cap actually decreased for next season? does current contract get prorated or stays same?

I expect alot of movement if it does not get prorated. also I expect alot of teams to get weaker next season excluding us.

its decreasing and no its not pro-rated

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Edler would be a welcome addition to the team. Imagine something along the lines of:

Edler-Ericsson
Kronwall-Dekeyser
Smith-Kindl(hopefully these two improve in their own end.)

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Edler would be a welcome addition to the team. Imagine something along the lines of:

Edler-Ericsson
Kronwall-Dekeyser
Smith-Kindl(hopefully these two improve in their own end.)

I don't think you can get Edler without at least giving up Smith or Kindl to start. Heck, might even cost you Dekeyser instead.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I don't think you can get Edler without at least giving up Smith or Kindl to start. Heck, might even cost you Dekeyser instead.

This is absolutely true. Who would you give up in a deal for Edler? I've been defending Kindl all season, but I'd lean toward him, personally.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
This is absolutely true? Who would you give up in a deal for Edler? I've been defending Kindl all season, but I'd lean toward him, personally.

The problem will be is who does Vancouver want. I would think they would target Tatar along with Smith/Dekeyser in any deal for Edler with us. Not high on trading any of those players and that is the problem. I can see trading Tatar in the right deal, but the additions at that point become a little murky considering I think he is a very good asset.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
The problem will be is who does Vancouver want. I would think they would target Tatar along with Smith/Dekeyser in any deal for Edler with us. Not high on trading any of those players and that is the problem. I can see trading Tatar in the right deal, but the additions at that point become a little murky considering I think he is a very good asset.

I'd give them Andersson, Sheahan, XO/Sproul and a 1st for Edler and Kesler/Burrows.

:laugh:

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
What was the purpose of bumping a thread with posts from two hours earlier?

Zattasyuk

Apr 21, 2013
I'd be careful what some of you are asking for in trying to get Edler. I live in Vancouver and watch a lot of the Nucks games, and I gotta say Edler has been very pedestrian this year. He was a defensive liability more often than not and at $5M/yr I'm not buying. Plus the whole point of the Nucks potentially trading him would be to build up their prospects pool because theirs sucks so bad, and quite frankly I wouldn't be willing to part with our top end prospects because there is way more upside there than with Edler. If we still had Mr. Perfect in our line up I'd be all for this, because that's what Edler needs right now, a voice like that in his ear.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad