Rumor: Edler might be on the block along with several other players

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
According to Tony Gallagher of The Vancouver Province, even if the Canucks pull off a miracle they still plan to overhaul the roster. Gallagher mentions Philly as a destination because Vancouver covets their offensive weapons. I would paste a link but is ESPN Insider.

I would love have Edler and the Wings definitely wanted him at the draft.

What would it take?

Are you even interested?

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Edler would be a great upgrade on the wings PP. He's pretty good at hiting as well.

Last edited:

crashman

According to Tony Gallagher of The Vancouver Province, even if the Canucks pull off a miracle they still plan to overhaul the roster. Gallagher mentions Philly as a destination because Vancouver covets their offensive weapons. I would paste a link but is ESPN Insider.

I would love have Edler and the Wings definitely wanted him at the draft.

What would it take?

Are you even interested?

Seems like pure speculation, but I'd like to have Edler in Detroit. I don't think Holland would be willing to move the pieces it would take though, and I'm not sure I'd even be worth it.

Him and J-Bo are actually pretty similar players and I think we could have gotten J-Bo for our 1st, which would have been a good deal. Edler is gonna cost a lot more than that in a trade.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I would like Edler a lot. I don't think that we have the pieces to get it done, but we shall see. He has a pretty good contract for what he is, absolutely blows JayBo out of the water, but I agree with Holland keeping the first in this particular draft. So unless they want a 2014 and some package then I don't see it happening. I think Philly likely beats any offer we can make.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I would like Edler a lot. I don't think that we have the pieces to get it done, but we shall see. He has a pretty good contract for what he is, absolutely blows JayBo out of the water, but I agree with Holland keeping the first in this particular draft. So unless they want a 2014 and some package then I don't see it happening. I think Philly likely beats any offer we can make.

I disagree with that.

Edler is little younger, better contract.

Neither is very physical. Edler is more inconsistent and I think he has himself stated that he's back is probably never 100% again or something like that.

Edler has better shot and little maybe little more offense on him. JayBo played long time in Calgary with no C depth so that hurt his numbers. JayBo is better skater. Both have defensive gaffes at times.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Seems like pure speculation, but I'd like to have Edler in Detroit. I don't think Holland would be willing to move the pieces it would take though, and I'm not sure I'd even be worth it.

Him and J-Bo are actually pretty similar players and I think we could have gotten J-Bo for our 1st, which would have been a good deal. Edler is gonna cost a lot more than that in a trade.

J-Bo's offensive production with the flames hasn't been near Edlers dito with the Canucks, but of course maybe J-Bo would have scored more with the Canucks too, not at all that unlikely. Edler is more aggressive than J-Bo. Not sure if they are that alike? Both pretty tall, and maybe they have about the same skating skills?

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
I disagree with that.

Edler is little younger, better contract.

Neither is very physical. Edler is more inconsistent and I think he has himself stated that he's back is probably never 100% again or something like that.

Edler has better shot and little maybe little more offense on him. JayBo played long time in Calgary with no C depth so that hurt his numbers. JayBo is better skater. Both have defensive gaffes at times.

Edler is physical. He's not a fighter (like most Swedish trained hockeyplayers, we simply dont stage fights here as you do) if that what you mean by physical.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
I'd rather trade for Kesler.

Edler isn't a true #1 d-man.

I'm fine with Kronwall, Big E, DD, Kindl, Smith as our core moving forward with XO and Sproul on the way.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Do we want another offensive defenseman?

Definitely Yes.

Our D isn't so bad coverage wise when the forwards are back doing their jobs defensively. We finished 5th in GA this season after all.

What I think we miss most about Lidstrom was the ability to get the puck from defence to offence quickly and accurately. We also miss his ability to get shots through from the point.

Having another bonafide Offensive D will also allow us to stop using forwards on the Point while on the PP.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Definitely Yes.

Our D isn't so bad coverage wise when the forwards are back doing their jobs defensively. We finished 5th in GA this season after all.

What I think we miss most about Lidstrom was the ability to get the puck from defence to offence quickly and accurately. We also miss his ability to get shots through from the point.

Having another bonafide Offensive D will also allow us to stop using forwards on the Point while on the PP.

A thousand times this. We are dying for another Kronwall for the PP.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
If Edler's available, I have to think we're definitely in on it. He's big, he's surprisingly physical (consistently among the 'Nucks leaders in hits and blocks), he eats ice time, and he doesn't miss a lot of games due to injury.

Meanwhile, we have a bit of a glut of prospects and not a lot of roster space. And we're moving to the East, so the Canucks wouldn't have to deal him within their conference.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
I'd rather trade for Kesler.

Edler isn't a true #1 d-man.

I'm fine with Kronwall, Big E, DD, Kindl, Smith as our core moving forward with XO and Sproul on the way.

I agree. We need to find adequate 5-6 Dmen and we would be fine.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
A thousand times this. We are dying for another Kronwall for the PP.

Kindl and Smith.

We do need all of them to improve on keeping the puck in the damn zone on the PP.

I'd also be very interested in Alex Burrows. Would rather pay him 4.5M a year than Flip 5M+

Mason Raymond is an intriguing FA forward.

Nyquist-Helm-Raymond = SPEEEEEEEEEEED

Last edited:

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Kindl and Smith.

We do need all of them to improve on keeping the puck in the damn zone on the PP.

I'd also be very interested in Alex Burrows. Would rather pay him 4.5M a year than Flip 5M+

Mason Raymond is an intriguing FA forward.

Nyquist-Helm-Raymond = SPEEEEEEEEEEED

Interesting. I like Raymond a lot too

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
If Edler's available, I have to think we're definitely in on it. He's big, he's surprisingly physical (consistently among the 'Nucks leaders in hits and blocks), he eats ice time, and he doesn't miss a lot of games due to injury.

Meanwhile, we have a bit of a glut of prospects and not a lot of roster space. And we're moving to the East, so the Canucks wouldn't have to deal him within their conference.

I agree that we're definitely in, and it works to our advantage to be moving east.

I have to believe that given how high the Wings were on him in his draft year that Holland would put just about anything on the table for him.

I wonder what they'd want in return.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Would make excellent trade bait for Edler.:sarcasm:

you use the sarcasm smiley, but it's not like we'd be getting much older if we dealt either of them for Edler. Edler is 27 right now. Kindl is 26 and Smith is 24. Moving either for Edler doesn't really go against the idea of rebuilding on the fly, except we get a much more established, better player.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I agree that we're definitely in, and it works to our advantage to be moving east.

I have to believe that given how high the Wings were on him in his draft year that Holland would put just about anything on the table for him.

I wonder what they'd want in return.

I would assume cheap, young forwards since they would still have four good D locked up after dealing Edler, and that they're likely losing 3 depth forwards because of cap troubles this summer. I was thinking something around Tatar, Sheahan and a 1st. Maybe they'd want CC if they aren't high on any of their D prospects, but I don't know anything about their system.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->