Ed Snider: "We will have another cable network other than ESPN."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
trenton1 said:
For coverage purposes the owners need to take the money they are going to save from this new CBA and start an NHL Network in the States and allow for it to be available on basic cable--Comcast could help with that. Then there will be no excuses--they can buy advertising on the other networks or through local cable companies.
For exposure purposes, allow ESPN to have a game on the same night every week and then NBC can have some weekend tilts and the finals.

Allow ESPN to broadcast games? You have to be kidding me. It's going to be a miracle for the NHL to be able to get any network to pony up and broadcast games.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Zeta16 said:
I don't think ESPN wants any more live events than they have now. A couple of weeks ago on of their top brass was on the radio and said that they were moving towards more movies and shows and less and less games. He said the future of ESPN was more movies, news shows, amd "The Season" type shows. So even if they had hockey they would show one or two games a week and maybe on ESPN8.
They sound like MTV eliminating music videos

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
Rabid Ranger said:
Allow ESPN to broadcast games? You have to be kidding me. It's going to be a miracle for the NHL to be able to get any network to pony up and broadcast games.

If ESPN doesn't have to assume any risk they would take the NHL back.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
trenton1 said:
If ESPN doesn't have to assume any risk they would take the NHL back.

I agree with that. I just think it's going to be very difficult (at least in the short term) for the NHL to get anything that resembles a decent television deal with a major American broadcast partner.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
Panasonic Youth said:
ESPN hasn't done s____ to promote hockey. They put on crap announcers that don't understand the sport, they use camera men with ADHD, and take away air time of this sport to replace it with texas hold em.
That's because Texas Hold'Em gets better ratings. You can't blame them for that.

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
Rabid Ranger said:
I agree with that. I just think it's going to be very difficult (at least in the short term) for the NHL to get anything that resembles a decent television deal with a major American broadcast partner.

For sure. But I think that's why they need to take the coverage end of it into their own hands with an NHL Network in the US and then since no one is going to want to front them money for a good TV deal then look at the best networks to "advertise" their product on. ESPN would still be a good place to do that--if only so that ESPN continues to give the NHL sportscenter time and "top 4" coverage.

DevilFisch

Jan 11, 2003
Edison, NJ
www.inlouwetrust.com
I'm still trying to get past the statement. I wonder why Snider would say this if they don't have a deal with another cable network?? Assuming they aren't already close to a deal with another one.

As long as I can be able to watch (or tape, no thanks to graduate school courses at night) Devils games somewhere on TV, I won't complain.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
In response to that, ESPN spokeswoman Diane Lamb said: "No one has done more to promote and market the NHL than ESPN, and it is ridiculous to suggest otherwise."

As long as it didn't interfere with women's softball, bowling, lawn darts, the National Spelling Bee Championships...

mmmBeer

Aug 29, 2002
Visit site
Selfishly I'd like it to be on Spike. Since the extent of their programming is CSI repeats, Maximum Exposure, and Real TV, they might show more than a game every couple weeks, unlike ESPN.

All-Star

Jul 14, 2003
Snake Mountain
Visit site
BBBBruin said:
Selfishly I'd like it to be on Spike. Since the extent of their programming is CSI repeats, Maximum Exposure, and Real TV, they might show more than a game every couple weeks, unlike ESPN.
Considering how they milked their Star Trek: TNG deal a few years ago, I think you're absolutely right. They'd probably show two games every night if they could...

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
trenton1 said:
For coverage purposes the owners need to take the money they are going to save from this new CBA and start an NHL Network in the States and allow for it to be available on basic cable--Comcast could help with that. Then there will be no excuses--they can buy advertising on the other networks or through local cable companies.
For exposure purposes, allow ESPN to have a game on the same night every week and then NBC can have some weekend tilts and the finals.

I contacted directv to see if they would be adding the NHL network. They said they would look into it.

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
montreal said:
I contacted directv to see if they would be adding the NHL network. They said they would look into it.

Cool. It would be nice to have a channel that could cater to the diehards while giving the casual/curious types a place to go to immediately find out more about the sport.

mooseOAK*

Rabid Ranger said:
The hockey fan demographic is relatively affluent if not high in numbers, they will find someone to televise games.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
What's pathetic is their movies and shows do terrible. Playmakers... Tilt... pfft. They look like MTV when they lost the music now.

That ship is sinking. Down with ESPN!

GudVibransons

Mar 1, 2002
Orlando
Visit site
Yeah, but wrestling is more of a supplement program. It can air one or two days a week. Spike doesn't really have much in the way of original programming to fill its time. The NHL could have a lot of games broadcast. My only problem is that the network itself seems to be sinking. It can't seem to create much in the way of good new programming and the network has lost all of its buzz. Oh well, sumbling league, stumbling network; maybe two wrongs make a right.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
They really should just buy their own time on a network and sell their own commercials. They'd have total control of the production that way. If Ron Popiel can do it, the NHL should be able to.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
As far as Wrestling goes, there's some cross-promotion to be had, but it's on the way out now. The NHL will be the marquee product of any cable company that picks it up, hands down.

Also, as a reminder to some of you about Spike's past.

Spike TV was once known as TNN, which had evolved itself from something called THE NASHVILLE NETWORK.

Predator Bias? you be the judge.

rwilson99

Buffaloed said:
They really should just buy their own time on a network and sell their own commercials. They'd have total control of the production that way. If Ron Popiel can do it, the NHL should be able to.

games would have to played really early in the morning on weekends or after midnight during the week though...

Seriously. A Comcast/FSN deal could be beatiful if Comcast and come other cable systems come along to support a Fox Hockey Channel in the spirit of Fox Soccer Channel.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
futurcorerock said:
As far as Wrestling goes, there's some cross-promotion to be had, but it's on the way out now. The NHL will be the marquee product of any cable company that picks it up, hands down.

Huh? See the ratings lately? The league averaged a .47 on ESPN last year. The freakin' WNBA does better. The NHL has fallen into the realm of MLS and women's college basketball. It would be the marquee programming on Pax TV and that's about it.

RomanOksiuta

Heres an idea. It may not be possible, but it could make sense.

Have Fox Sports Net (not Fox) do 2-3 games a week. Get feeds from their local broadcasts (they wouldn't have to pay extra announcers and the atmosphere of the broadcast would be unique every game) and just play those across the nation. If another FSN network is broadcasting a local game, just black them out from the national broadcast. Prior to the game, they could have a preview segment, and following the game, they could just go to the local sports news. In my opinion (maybe its different in other areas), FSN does a great job with their local hockey broadcasts and this could be translated to success at a national level.

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
The NHL needs to BEG Espn to take back hockey. What you guys are talking about with spike tv and the like is mickey mouse. ESPN had the coverage, the HDTV, and the comedic brilliance of one Barry Melrose.

starsgal09

May 1, 2005
I don't know if this has been posted in this thread or not, but FSSW has contracted with Dallas to carry 75 of their games each of the next 9 seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->