Ed Snider on TV in Philly yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
On the NHL lockout:

-Final analysis, it had to be done.

-Beleives this will be the best agreement in sports.

-Owners are unanimous with their support for Bettman (someone should tell the Blues that)

-Everyone will have an equal chance to win (My comment: as long as you run your organization well)

On the NBA:

-beleives a lot of teams are losing a lot of money

-significant changes do not necessarily need to be made (ok..?)

So, as soon as March, he left inklings that he wanted to be apart of neogeotiations, but now all of a sudden everything is A-OK. Fine, whatever. As long as when the NHL is back the lockout was worth it.

I know my rules around here, but Ed Snider was talking as if the lockout is over. He was using some past tense verbs when making points.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Tiki said:
Link?

Optimism?

:D

If I had a link I would have posted it, I'll look around for a link to his comments though.

Optimism, let's wait another week. I'm sure someone else in Philly saw it.

Tiki

Mar 1, 2002
Goo Lagoon
Visit site
go kim johnsson said:
If I had a link I would have posted it, I'll look around for a link to his comments though.

Optimism, let's wait another week. I'm sure someone else in Philly saw it.

Don't mind me, I'm jsut being a smartass 'cause I'm already at work and have yet to have any coffeee.
:)whine: - wow they have a wine smilie, we should get one free with every CBA post!)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Tiki said:
Don't mind me, I'm jsut being a smartass 'cause I'm already at work and have yet to have any coffeee.
:whine:

Coffee is gross anyways.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Ed Snider, had one of the best things to say during the lockout. Something along the lines that he couldn't be part of the negotiations because he would have to reach over the table and throttle Bobbie G :biglaugh:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Bennysflyers16 said:
CLOSE THIS THREAD,,,,, WHAT'S NEXT , BEER IS GROSS ALSO !!! :madfire:

Actually, I'm not a huge fan of beer either. Although I don't think it is gross a la coffee.

Slangston

Buffalo Sabres
Apr 3, 2003
Western New York
Yeah I agree, beer is gross. I'd rather drink pure unadulterated piss-water than that mess. Wait, beer is piss-water...Nevermind.

Anyways, we need to stay on topic here. The most interesting comment from Snyder has to be the one about the new CBA being the best agreement in sports. I really hope that's the case. For now though, all we can do is speculate.

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
i'm protesting this thread.

a) coffee is the friggin ambrosia in the morning.

b) if you think beer is gross you simply have not had good beer.

GKJ - get your arse to Ludwigs (13th and Sansom) or Monks (16th and Spruce) and taste some good stuff.

and i saw his comments on Sportsrise this morning and he was indeed basically saying that the lockout was all but over.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
ColoradoHockeyFan said:
Yes, please provide any clues you might have gotten regarding, say, grandfathering, one-time cap-exempt buyouts, etc.

He was careful with his words, as you can see, didn't throw out anything mind-boggling.

HeShootseyScores

Jun 6, 2005
Nashville
No optimism here . . . but, Preds GM David Poile was on the radio this morning and pretty much said all that's left is crossing T's and dotting I's. Said it's very important to make sure everything is covered, no loopholes, so it might take a week or two, but it's worth it.

And yes, we still have a team. Our owner doesn't get out days before a new CBA is established. And how much was Laurie paying Pronger? :sarcasm:

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
HeShootseyScores said:
No optimism here . . . but, Preds GM David Poile was on the radio this morning and pretty much said all that's left is crossing T's and dotting I's. Said it's very important to make sure everything is covered, no loopholes, so it might take a week or two, but it's worth it.

And yes, we still have a team. Our owner doesn't get out days before a new CBA is established. And how much was Laurie paying Pronger? :sarcasm:

hey now... get your own freakin' nickname!! :D

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
I found his comments interesting, especially the one about all the owners support the new agreement, I guess that kills the rumours the big teams hate the "rumoured" new deal.............. :D

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
flambers said:
I found his comments interesting, especially the one about all the owners support the new agreement, I guess that kills the rumours the big teams hate the "rumoured" new deal.............. :D

I think that the big team owners will like it for 2 reasons, one financial and one competetive.

1. They will make more money as their operating costs decrease.
2. It seems ever more clear that buyouts will be one of the first orders of business.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
nyr7andcounting said:
Gretzky was optomistic on the air yesterday too. No doubt a deal is going to get done soon.

Looks like I need to put down Wayne as well.

cgyfireman

Feb 25, 2004
nyr7andcounting said:
Gretzky was optomistic on the air yesterday too. No doubt a deal is going to get done soon.

Was he talking about it on the Yankees broadcast?I just caught the end of it there,he was talking about raising money for cancer.
:clap:

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
heshootshescores said:
I think that the big team owners will like it for 2 reasons, one financial and one competetive.

1. They will make more money as their operating costs decrease.
2. It seems ever more clear that buyouts will be one of the first orders of business.

obviously financial, the rewards of this deal will be huge for the big clubs. they will make massive amounts of cash every season now and their franchise value is going to sky-rocket.

as far as competitive... i think it will depend on the owner. Snider is extremely invested in the Flyers, clearly, but also in the NHL in general -- he's been involved with the league since the Flyers were founded. i think he genuinely wants a level playing field for the other teams, but i also think that he looks forward to the competition w/ more than just a few teams. i'm not sure every big owner has such empathy for the lower tier teams though.

Brent Burns Beard