LV Review-Journal: Ed Graney Speaks with James Neal's Agent

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Only have met/know a couple of agents. Never have like shared an adult beverage to really have a chance to talk. John Thornton (Jumbo's brother and agent; also represents Logan Couture) and Igor Larionov.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I love how they always say "I don't negotiate in public" and then proceed to basically negotiate in public. :laugh:

That's not negotiation. No numbers mentioned, no ultimatums given, just honest interview which sounds fairly positive for VGK fans. Now if GMGM has decided he's not paying the going rate for Nealer then he may get shipped, but we'll never hear those words.

Reactions: ChanceVegas

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
That's not negotiation. No numbers mentioned, no ultimatums given, just honest interview which sounds fairly positive for VGK fans. Now if GMGM has decided he's not paying the going rate for Nealer then he may get shipped, but we'll never hear those words.

Yes while not negotiating specifics, he is certainly giving a glowing review of his client, which any good agent should do.

I really hope they can reach an agreement. Neal has definitely been a key to our success.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The following makes me think McPhee has no incentive to do anything until after the playoffs. The risk of losing Neal if they decide to re-sign him just before free agency kicks in is very low, and the team has an owner willing to pay the big bucks. Just let Neal perform in the playoffs and if he is a dud there and/or the team's situation/performance whatever changes, then they could let Neal walk and do something else with the cap room. There is no disincentive to waiting until after the playoffs to decide whether to re-sign Neal. I doubt he's gonna play hardball over a couple of mill here or there when it comes to re-signing, even if he wins the Conn Smythe, there will be a little free market discount the team could get if Neal really wants to stay in Vegas.

The key statement was from James Neal himself:

“I want to win. I’ve been part of winning teams and I wanted to bring that here, to be a leader for the young guys and contribute all I could. Winning is hard. You can’t just pick a winner any more. It doesn’t work that way. Who would have ever thought we’d be doing what we have this season?
“From the management to the coaching staff to the guys in the room, we have something very special here. My teammates are awesome. I love it here. I love it.”

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
any word on Karlsson getting a extension?
I'm guessing he makes it to the end of the season. He's arbitration eligible this offseason, and while I don't think they'll make it to arbitration (even though the Knights were the only team to go to arbitration with a player last year with Schmidt) I think they'll let it hang out for a while. There's really no danger that he's going anywhere else, and he's obviously having a breakout season that could make whatever extension he gets seem pretty cruddy if he regresses. He's someone worth taking their time for, what he does for the rest of the season will impact his future pay.

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
There certainly is some logic to not signing him long term. I think a 3 years deal is ideal, but I don't know if that is realistic on both sides.

I see two sides to this. I think the "Knights on Ice" article makes a great case for the business side. However, I think the other side is giving the fans some familiarity to cling to in the early years. If we can keep some vets like Neal, Flower, Perron and Engelland in our core for the next few years as some of the youngsters transition up, it helps the fans to have the recognizable faces, and helps build the team culture as the torch gets passed. It seems that in one season this team has built a winning culture and I think the vets help in passing that on to the future stars.

Ultimately, it is still so early in this franchise that I doubt there will be too much complaining if GMGM deals the "Real Deal" to put us in a better future position.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I think he and his agent are quietly saying enough to GMGM to make it clear they have a shot to sign him at slightly more favorable terms after the season or during the free agent frenzy. If he said no way, I want this and this and it didn't fit into the plans, then maybe you move him now. If you think you have a shot at him, you don't necessarily trade him now because being the #1 team in the West means there are very few spots you could trade him to and not worry about facing him later. Maybe a fringe East team is ok, but that's it. So he doesn't figure to move, same for Perron. Could trade a Sbisa or Garrison for a modest return, but once again not too eager to help someone out. For the Knights those guys are nice to have in case of injuries or to matchup with certain teams, but for some teams a veteran sixth d-man could be a lifesaver.

Reactions: ChanceVegas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad