Series Talk: ECSF: New York Rangers vs. Carolina Hurricanes (NYR Lead 3-2)

Who wins in how many games?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
2 posts ago you literally just whined that "Necas created that whole situation by being a gutless bitch." There's no saltier tears than crying someone won't stand still waiting for your meathead to connect with a cheapshot flying elbow to the head. None more salty.

I wasnt whining. I responded in a explanatory way to the crying of your fellow brother in arms. But you clearly being of the Jarvis bloodline fail to understand such a concept.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Calling more penalties against the Rangers will have zero impact on the scoreboard with Carolina's pathetic PP.
Canes PP is far too perimeter based and not enough movement/skating. They are trying to rely on passing/puck movement to open up lanes but the Rangers are holding to their zones and not chasing or trying to intercept. They just inch towards the puck carrier and force them to dish off to someone else and start the process over again as time ticks away.

Canes are trying to set up the perfect play to score but when they do get a good look they aren’t converting and then the PP is basically done.

It’s also far too leaning towards the left side of the ice with Aho. No real threat or action ever comes from the Right side so Rangers can ignore that and just focus on shutting down the left. Need to switch things up.

I want to see like Jarvis, Staal, Svech, Necas Skjei and then Noesen, Guentzel, TT, Aho, Burns or something like that

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Canes are trying to set up the perfect play to score but when they do get a good look they aren’t converting and then the PP is basically done.
This has been the knock on the Rangers forever, and I think it feeds into how the Canes have approached the PK against them.

4 PP goals in the series and none of them are super fancy. Even the Zibanejad one in game 1, which was really nice, wasn't a set play. It was reactionary based on what was given.

The Kreider tying goal was the Canes being hyper aggressive with 3 guys in the corner. Panarin dished it quick on a backhand where he had the puck for half a second at most.

If the Canes want to slow down the PP, they actually need to pack it in and not chase. Is Brind'Amour going to do that? It goes against their style, but they need to make an adjustment and make the Rangers PP more predictable.

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
Doubt it happens this series, but the cope is that if a game goes to OT, there is no sweep? Is it just THIS series or do we retroactively go back and remove sweep status historically? Where should we start? When does it end!

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
I fully expect Carolina to turn it around at home and win Game 3 comfortably. They probably should have won last night. If the Rangers could somehow steal one in Carolina it might be the fork.

Reactions: Captain Lindy

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Love you bud but you are on crack. They are done.
Did you say the same thing after the Rangers were up 2-0 vs Tampa two years ago? How about when they were up 2-0 vs the Devils last year? What happen next? Really stupid comment to think the series is anywhere near done. If Canes win tomorrow, which I fully expect them to because they dominate at home, then it's a whole new ballgame.

Reactions: clmetsfan

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Do you consider Pastrnak an elite player? Barkov? Panarin?

Aho has outscored them all on a per game basis in the playoffs since 18-19. A lot of players drop off in crunch time. He goes sideways.

To me, the PP woes are more about the mix rather than the aggregate talent. The Rangers have among the best in the league in their respective roles. If you were to design the ideal PP without a McDavid type, it’s New York’s. The Canes don’t have those pieces.

I’ve pretty much watched all the Carolina playoff games since this core started their run

I remember your key players becoming ghosts time after time in the biggest games, Eastern finals for example

I remember when Aho had like 0+2 on the road during their entire playoff run couple of years ago

I don’t care about the 1st round, this team is build to win now and they are 0-12 in the Eastern finals with core players getting outplayed every damm time

But keep acting like you have true game breakers, & that’s why you won’t win the Cup

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Doubt it happens this series, but the cope is that if a game goes to OT, there is no sweep? Is it just THIS series or do we retroactively go back and remove sweep status historically? Where should we start? When does it end!
We should be co-Cup winners for 2014.

• Love
Reactions: DialUp

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
If the Rangers can go 1-1 here in Carolina it's done in 5.

Just by virtue of the puck luck factor, I can't see them winning both. Carolina is getting way too many good chances every game. Game 2 was a coin flip that the Rangers probably deserved to lose based on shot attempts and time of possession. But I think that was Carolina's best and they still couldn't find a win.

Would not be feeling good about the series if I was a Canes fan. Not because their team hasn't played well; exactly the opposite. Their team has played excellent aside from their PP and they still haven't been able to get one

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Canes playing pretty undisciplined for being a brindamour coached squad.
Svechnikov is really dumb. Twice he absolutely killed momentum of his team taking needless interference pens.

As a NYR fan, you’re not going to hear me complain against the Tro call. It was soft, but the only reason it was called imo, is because it would have lead to an odd man rush the other way. Most refs are going to make that call in that situation. The where and when it took place on the ice near the end of game. Say Carolina goes down and scores, they would be questioned the rest of the series and have a building full of fans that wanted to kill them.
There have been plenty of missed calls on both sides, and rangers are the most penalized team in the playoffs to date…… the biggest diff is special teams and goaltending( shocking).
Rangers have been able to deliver where canes haven’t.
Both teams go thru periods of time where they carry play/dominate…. I thought canes were the sharper team last night, but elite goal keeping steals wins on the way to the promise land.
Andersson hasn’t been bad by any means, but he’s no Igor.
The series has been entertaining so far, it could be tied or NYR could be down 2-0. Canes had a few PPs in OT and couldn’t break thru. Rangers PK has been excellent. They let the canes have the outside and make it very hard to get shots thru.
Canes do a really good job of this as well.
When there’s a breakdown, shesty has been the best pker, and that’s exactly what you need to win.
GM 3 should be entertaining/stress feast as well. Hoping NYR at least pick up 1 win in Raleigh….

Last edited:
Reactions: Crease

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
Did you say the same thing after the Rangers were up 2-0 vs Tampa two years ago? How about when they were up 2-0 vs the Devils last year? What happen next? Really stupid comment to think the series is anywhere near done. If Canes win tomorrow, which I fully expect them to because they dominate at home, then it's a whole new ballgame.

Actually I did though I was clearly wrong. The difference is that this team is not the team that lost the lead to the Devils. They have matured. Also, against Tampa they ran out of gas. Coming into this series they were rested.

Rangers in 5 was my prediction before the series started but I wouldnt be shocked if they sweep.

Reactions: NikC

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
A big factor for the Rangers PP that other teams don't have is Kreider. You can't do anything with that giant nerd. He just stands in the highest-danger area on the ice and does what he wants.

He's 7th in goals over the last three seasons and 3rd in powerplay goals. He's playing the role of a net-front presence and putting up the type of numbers you usually see from the main puck-handler.

He's an all-time mix of size and skill in that particular role.

A good gameplan can stop shooting and cross-ice movement. You can't stop an ox standing in front of your net who can also skate and pass.

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
I dont really care who wins this series, i like both teams and would love either of them win the cup. With that said i think Canes are going to make this a close series, do they have what it takes to win it? Probably not from 0-2, but i still think its going to be exciting.

A big factor for the Rangers PP that other teams don't have is Kreider. You can't do anything with that giant nerd. He just stands in the highest-danger area on the ice and does what he wants.

He's 7th in goals over the last three seasons and 3rd in powerplay goals. He's playing the role of a net-front presence and putting up the type of numbers you usually see from the main puck-handler.

He's an all-time mix of size and skill in that particular role.

A good gameplan can stop shooting and cross-ice movement. You can't stop an ox standing in front of your net who can also skate and pass.
Agree 100%. Also very different from most guys that have that special skill being great in front of the net, because on 5v5 he is also a threat with his speed. How many players that everyone considers to be elite in front of the net can you really say that they are really fast skaters?

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
Game 2 was a coin flip that the Rangers probably deserved to lose based on shot attempts and time of possession.

1715204065565.png

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
As a Rangers fan, I agree Aho is near-elite. He’s underrated and I consider him in the upper echelon of play making centers in the league.

He took over the game at times last night.

You gotta give credit where credit due
aho and guentzel are nasty. i'm thinking we'll see Jarvis back up on that line in Raleigh and as a Ranger fan im not stoked on it.

AceKing21

Oct 19, 2021
Central NY
Calling more penalties against the Rangers will have zero impact on the scoreboard with Carolina's pathetic PP.
They've definitely had their chances, but the NYR PK has been elite along with Igor. However, NYR can't continue giving CAR the chances, especially at home or they will be on the wrong end of a blowout loss.

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
PP chances being even doesn't mean the outcome wasn't impacted. The more these games are played 5v5, the more advantage it gives to the Hurricanes. The more penalties, the more advantage to the Rangers.
Thats only due to you looking at the outcome of what has happened. In the regular season Canes had better special teams so in the beginning of the series one would think they had the advantage but it hasn't worked out that way. If the Refs ignore penalties now that is purposely helping the Canes as we now have data on the suspected outcomes. The last penalty was the same thing that Goodrow got called for earlier in the game. You can disagree all you want but calling the same thing on both sides is as fair as it gets. Whether its the correct call or not is debatable but a team not performing is the reason they lost not the call.

You can also argue the Refs have missed a lot of stuff. Trocheck was hit with a high stick and bled in game 1. No penalty and that would be a 4 min PP. Rangers PP could of ended the game right there. PP opportunities are 10-9 in the Canes favor and they had 2 in OT before the Rangers got theirs. I take the earlier PP ls all day long if you agree all 3 calls were weak in OT.

It definitely is, I just thing they were on the wrong side of that line yesterday
You only think they were on the wrong side of the line because the team you want to win didn't perform.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I was shocked watching how the Rangers kept embellishing and flopping all over the place.

Let teams play 5 on 5, start matching up the dives.

I'm sure its the game plan to get as many power plays as you can but that was embarrassing as a hockey fan.

Lets toughen up boys

Who flopped and embellished outside of Fox?

How did you feel about Marchand doing it last round against Toronto?

And lastly, have you watched Carolina? They're more guilty of flopping and diving than anyone.

• Haha
Reactions: NorthStar4Canes

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
This series is a repeat of 2022 but NYR is a way better team since then+ actually have a coach who'll adjust. Freddy hasn't been himself since the middle of the Isles series, that game doesn't get to OT if he played how he did in OT which is a bit sad if I'm a Canes fan. They're wicked at home so I wouldn't be surprised if it's 2-2 going back for Game 5 but this Rangers team just needs 60 mins of their best game in Carolina once and it's probably wraps for the full series.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Actually I did though I was clearly wrong. The difference is that this team is not the team that lost the lead to the Devils. They have matured. Also, against Tampa they ran out of gas. Coming into this series they were rested.

Rangers in 5 was my prediction before the series started but I wouldnt be shocked if they sweep.

The Devils are the worst matchup for NYR when they're playing at their highest level which led to them blowing that lead. I don't want to hear how that NYR had no coaching as a rebuttal in a following post considering the Devils had Lindy Ruff on their bench playing guys like Brendan Smith + Miles Wood who were penalty machines early on in that series. But back to the main point, the only teams left imo that could play that style are the Avs/Oilers like the 22-23 Devils did. But they have questions in net game to game, they can't tell if they'll get good Skinner/Georgiev or ECHL level Skinner/Georgiev. The Canes are very deadly at home like the other post said but the Rangers just need 1 in Carolina because I don't know what happens to the Canes on the road In the playoffs and especially at MSG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad