Series Talk: ECSF: New York Rangers vs. Carolina Hurricanes (NYR Lead 3-2)

Who wins in how many games?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Brind'Amour is gonna have to figure out how to actually make an adjustment on the PP. When your team underperforms on special teams year after year in the playoffs, it's probably because there's extensive scouting and planning done to stop you, and at some point you have to move away from the same shit you did over and over in the regular season. Regular season success means bupkis when you get into the playoffs and teams can actually focus entirely on shutting down what you do well.
Also because you DON'T FACE THE WORST PK UNIT TO EVER MAKE THE PLAYOFFS AFTER ROUND 1

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I don’t know how Carolina fans can fight the argument they lack game breakers

They have an elite team but no elite players. Been like that for years, doesn’t mean they can’t win this series but can’t see how it’s the recipe to win Cups, which is the end goal

Do you consider Pastrnak an elite player? Barkov? Panarin?

Aho has outscored them all on a per game basis in the playoffs since 18-19. A lot of players drop off in crunch time. He goes sideways.

To me, the PP woes are more about the mix rather than the aggregate talent. The Rangers have among the best in the league in their respective roles. If you were to design the ideal PP without a McDavid type, it’s New York’s. The Canes don’t have those pieces.

clmetsfan

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2007

Aho has outscored them all on a per game basis in the playoffs since 18-19. A lot of players drop off in crunch time. He goes sideways.

To me, the PP woes are more about the mix rather than the aggregate talent. The Rangers have among the best in the league in their respective roles. If you were to design the ideal PP without a McDavid type, it’s New York’s. The Canes don’t have those pieces.
I'm not sure how comparing him to other players who have been criticized for underperforming in the playoffs helps your case...

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Unlike the Islanders, the Rangers are out-goaltending the Canes. And goaltending is definitely the Cane's Achilles.
also the Rangers are a handful on the top 6 compared to the isles. They dont have the same depth like they did in 2019-2021, so it becomes easier to beat the isles in a series. For the Rangers its harder. For all the talk of depth, I am very surprised that their bottom 6 hasn't scored yet in this series. Carolina BADLY needs to kill the Rangers power plays or else its over. Also Freddy Anderson is good but not going to get you over the hump. Carolina will learn this the hard way.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
I don’t know how Carolina fans can fight the argument they lack game breakers

They have an elite team but no elite players. Been like that for years, doesn’t mean they can’t win this series but can’t see how it’s the recipe to win Cups, which is the end goal
Theyve had a few game breaking elite players in the past.

Like Vincent Trocheck.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019

As a Rangers fan, I agree Aho is near-elite. He’s underrated and I consider him in the upper echelon of play making centers in the league.

He took over the game at times last night.

You gotta give credit where credit due

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I'm not sure how comparing him to other players who have been criticized for underperforming in the playoffs helps your case...

Using say 30 games as a filter, he’s 17th in the league in the sample at .94. Matthews, Tkachuk and Point are around 1. It’s not easy to maintain production in the playoffs.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Igor was the difference last night.

He let in two deflections and a cross ice one timer from the slot. He otherwise made some ridiculous saves, including on some rebound opportunities.

Even though he let in 3 goals, it was on over 50 shots. He’s been the Rangers best player.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
As a Rangers fan, I agree Aho is near-elite. He’s underrated and I consider him in the upper echelon of play making centers in the league.

He took over the game at times last night.

You gotta give credit where credit due
I love Aho, but I think the elite comments from fans perspective of game-breaking talent. Like all you need is this player to have the puck for a couple of seconds and you may be in danger. Aho will get his points because he's a great player who works extremely hard. He's smart. He's tough to play against. He's a fantastic player you can count on.

Reactions: Lua and Summer Rose

Cuckoo4Kakko

Jul 1, 2019
Igor was the difference last night.

He let in two deflections and a cross ice one timer from the slot. He otherwise made some ridiculous saves, including on some rebound opportunities.

Even though he let in 3 goals, it was on over 50 shots. He’s been the Rangers best player.
Trocheck has consistently been the best Ranger during these 6 games. Igor 2nd.

NorthStar4Canes

Oct 12, 2007
I was just pointing out the hypocrisy of wanting a suspension. We are not the ones clogging the thread with screenshots and salty whining.
2 posts ago you literally just whined that "Necas created that whole situation by being a gutless bitch." There's no saltier tears than crying someone won't stand still waiting for your meathead to connect with a cheapshot flying elbow to the head. None more salty.
Are you related to Seth Jarvis? Beacause you clearly act like someone who could be.
Why, thank you.

Reactions: Finlandia WOAT

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Does Rod survive if the Rangers win?

Igor was insane last night. Freddie made some great stops but I don't think Carolina can outscore his 4 GAA vs Bob or Shesty or Sway

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Kochetkov is the logical Game 3 starter. It wouldn’t be a panic move or anything. He was .923 and 2.05 in the 30 starts since the players only meeting back in December. Actually, 2 starts against the Rangers, 2 goals against in total.

Andersen may be wearing down because of the workload. They were alternating games down the stretch.

EDIT: Brind’Amour has gone that route before. A cold Mrazek started Game 3 against Tampa in 2021. A lukewarm McElhinney did the same against Boston 2 years prior.

Last edited:

NorthStar4Canes

Oct 12, 2007

Carolina does nothing with their PP time. Rangers whip it around and make plays. The difference in the series so far.

This is the problem with stats, distortion. Those particular ones, for instance, make the Canes' PP seem way better than the next-level dogshit it has actually been.

Reactions: Tryamw

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
How come Carolina had better PP and PK stats than the Rangers this year though?
It's against lesser competition in the regular season. Perhaps Canes are better than the Rangers at killing average powerplays and better at scoring against average penalty kills.

But playoffs are about how you are against the other best teams in the league when they gameplan around you for 4-7 games straight. The one size-fits-all way of finding success in the regular season against two dozen teams doesn't always translate against a single good team night after night.

There's still a lot of series left to play though. The lopsided special teams performance can easily swing the other way with some adjustments (even though I hope they don't).

Last edited:
Reactions: Finlandia WOAT

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Kochetkov is the logical Game 3 starter. It wouldn’t be a panic move or anything. He was .923 and 2.05 in the 30 starts since the players only meeting back in December. Actually, 2 starts against the Rangers, 2 goals against in total.

Andersen may be wearing down because of the workload. They were alternating games down the stretch.

EDIT: Brind’Amour has gone that route before. A cold Mrazek started Game 3 against Tampa in 2021. A lukewarm McElhinney did the same against Boston 2 years prior.
If it wasn’t a panic move, you wouldn’t have mentioned it not being a panic move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad