GDT: ECQF Game Two: New Jersey Devils vs. Tampa Bay Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yeah, I'm actually fine with either guy starting. Kinkaid hasn't stood on his head this series, but he was the guy who got us this far, so if they want to stick with him, I get it. But if they feel now is the time to switch it up and go with Cory, that makes sense too.

Regardless of who plays though the team simply needs to be better. It's one thing to respect Tampa's talent and depth, but you can't let it dictate how you play. Tampa's defensive game is really not that impressive when you pressure them. We just haven't done enough of it so far. Somebody said it earlier, you have to make them earn it.

They have played scared of Tampa these games, something they did not do in the regular season matchups.

In the games we win, outmatched or not, we fearlessly skated down their throats.

We are giving them WAY too much respect.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Whoever they go with in net has to have a short leash though...you give up two and at least one of them's stoppable, out of there next man up. It's gotta be like an elimination game in baseball starting pitcher type usage.

Reactions: tr83

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Cut down on penalties and get an extra high danger save or two can make all the difference.

We are going to give up goals against this team, it is more about limiting it and keeping it close

AveryQuietMan

free chinese food for everyone
Oct 2, 2017
Whoever they go with in net has to have a short leash though...you give up two and at least one of them's stoppable, out of there next man up. It's gotta be like an elimination game in baseball starting pitcher type usage.

wish they wouldve taken that approach tonight. couldve been a whole new ball game.

hynes is amateur at best.

one thing is for sure... this team does not quit. they fight till the final horn blows.

hynes needs to start coaching tomorrow. end of the line for him

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Team needs to start the game like their loved ones are at gunpoint.

It's taken half the game to get to the level of urgency needed to beat a team that's flat out better and more experienced.

It's still the NHL. Games are winnable but not when you're in awe of the other team for the start.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
wish they wouldve taken that approach tonight. couldve been a whole new ball game.

hynes is amateur at best.

one thing is for sure... this team does not quit. they fight till the final horn blows.

hynes needs to start coaching tomorrow. end of the line for him

The second period happened so fast though, I can't really blame Hynes for not giving KK an early hook after his stretch run. Thought maybe at 4-1 would be the time but he didn't do it then.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The 4-1 goal was also Vatanen scoring on Kinkaid, so pulling him there might not have been the greatest idea either.

At that point it would just have been an attempted timeout/momentum change cause it was obvious nothing was hitting KK. But yeah the goals themselves weren't really on him for the most part.

AveryQuietMan

Oct 2, 2017
The second period happened so fast though, I can't really blame Hynes for not giving KK an early hook after his stretch run. Thought maybe at 4-1 would be the time but he didn't do it then.

fair enough. still sunk us by pulling the trigger when we are down by 4. hard hill to climb at that point.

it is what it is. but when the 3rd goal went in i thought hynes would show hes a coach and pull him. not because he was bad..... just as a motivational tool. i dunno man just what i wouldve done. and def wouldve done it after goal 4.

sorry i just dont like hynes right now. this one issue is just the tip of the iceberg.

thought pulling kk after he gave up 3 the game after he gave up 4 would be an obvious time to yank him. at that point you are motivating both goalies along with the team.

go back to the ahl hynes.

HoliksGhost

Oct 24, 2007
Actually, a seasoned playoff coach probably would have pulled the surprise goalie switch for the start of game two. If it worked, and I suspect it might have, it would have been called genius.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I don't think any coach alive would have started this Cory with his 2018 record in Game 2 after 'one' bad statistical game for Keith. Even Mike Keenan's not that nuts.

Reactions: VaxjoDevil

AveryQuietMan

Oct 2, 2017
Actually, a seasoned playoff coach probably would have pulled the surprise goalie switch for the start of game two. If it worked, and I suspect it might have, it would have been called genius.

have to go back to kink this game. no issues with that.

he pulled kink after 5 goals tho......

if he didnt realize the wheels were coming off he doesnt belong in this league.

devs made it a game and if he was a little more proactive during the game i see no reason why we couldnt have won or at least sent it to OT.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yeah i don’t think pulling the goalie on an own goal he had nothing to do with would have been the best move.

I get the thinking, but that wasn’t the goal to do it on.

AveryQuietMan

Oct 2, 2017
The 4-1 goal was also Vatanen scoring on Kinkaid, so pulling him there might not have been the greatest idea either.

why not?

thats the perfect time. you are sending a message to the team. it has nothing to do with the goalie.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Hynes is going to piss somebody off no matter what he does.:laugh:

Yeah he's not gonna win with this goalie decision either way, unless and only after the team wins. I'm dreading Cory but at this point I'm expecting it so I'm not wasting any outrage on it.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
My thoughts for Game 3:
  • Schneider starts
  • I would reunite Hall-Zajac-Palmieri because Brayden Point has been so dominant, and if he is going to matchup against the Hall line, we need to counter with our best defensive center
  • Gibbons back in the lineup and he plays with the Texas two, to matchup against Stamkos line. Big job for this trio.
  • Butcher promoted to top pairing with Vatanen.
  • Mueller scratched for Gibbons. Grabner scratched for Bratt.
My lineup:
Hall-Zajac-Palmieri
Maroon-Hischier-Bratt
Gibbons-Coleman-Noesen
Zacha-Boyle-Wood

Butcher-Vatanen
Greene-Severson
Moore-Lovejoy

Schneider-Kinkaid

Edit: The only thing that is stopping Brian Boyle getting scratched is his previous playoff experience and Marcus Johansson’s health. He hasn’t played well and if we are facing a do or die scenario in game 4, Johansson comes into lineup for Boyle.

Last edited:

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
zajac is one of the best players this series for the Devils. why remove him from where he has success and that is with at least one of coleman/noesen.

The Devils are at home next game they can get Zajac out against Point easier if they want to

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The one issue I have with sitting Grabs is he is still a good PKer even if he sucks at ES, and I am not the biggest fan of sitting PKers.

Problem is not sure who else we sit to get both Gibbons and Bratt in. I am not sold sitting Boyle and moving Coleman to C will help.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
why not?

thats the perfect time. you are sending a message to the team. it has nothing to do with the goalie.

Maybe. And maybe he pulls Kinkaid at 4-1, Cory gives up the 5-1 goal (which was Killorn parked in front of the goalie with no defender even touching him), and we still lose 5-3.

AveryQuietMan

Oct 2, 2017
Maybe. And maybe he pulls Kinkaid at 4-1, Cory gives up the 5-1 goal (which was Killorn parked in front of the goalie with no defender even touching him), and we still lose 5-3.

i get its all hypothetical at this point. so if he pulls him is killorn still in front of the net? who knows.

wouldve liked to see him pull kk after goal 3, wouldve liked to see him pull kk after goal 4.... after goal 5 even cory was giving him the business. he stared him down and asked 'am i going in?'

we still couldve lost i get that. but, as a coach, at least you did your job. sorry i just dont get it.

hynes' biggest problem is he doesnt commit and cant make a decision on his own. not a fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->