ECQF Game 4: Pittsburgh Penguins @ Philadelphia Flyers | 7 PM ET | CBC, TVAS, NBCSN, NBCSP, ATTSN-PT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012
I just don’t see anything broad street bullies related in this team though. If you want a tough physical fast team I’d be lookin at the Jets.
I agree, I was referring to the past few years that have left them in the dismal spot they are today. If anything, they've made significant steps away from that attitude. If you look at the games they played well and won this year it was during times they weren't taking penalties and cutting down on shots against.

They just don't have the depth to do that night in and night out. I do think in a couple years they will. As noted above, they are gonna need goaltending as well, though.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
If people did playoff pools I figure you would have to be crazy to not load up on Pens players vs Brian Elliott. :laugh:

I’m still shocked Mrazek hasn’t gotten at least a sniff at getting some minutes. Not that he has been amazing but his playoff games he’s been pretty solid.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
I think that is incorrect... they definitely loafed for most of the regular season, but the only real places they aren't as good is depth at d past their starters and experience at the backup D position

People are looking at their play during the first half and last month of the regular season.. that is a bad mistake

If they lose its cause teams like Tampa and Boston built themselves better to handle the Pens style... not cause they aren't as good...

There's some truth to what you're saying.

My concerns are Defensive Depth, an injured Kessel and the 2x returners being beat up from playing an insane amount of hockey the past 3 years.

PattyLafontaine

Apr 5, 2006
Flyers need Torts or someone similar to take over. They need to load up on fast guys with skill and a nasty edge.

Finding legit #1 netminder should be of great importance.

Reactions: Kimota

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
I really can’t think of too many dirty players besides Gudas. I don’t think they have any more or any less dirty players than the average team. Also from watching this series like you said, they have zero physicality.

Watching the Jets series it’s like night and day.
Hartnell, Carcillo, Pronger, Richards, Downie, Hextall, Brown, Hatcher, Rinaldo, etc

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I'm in the unfortunate position of knowing plenty of Flyer fans, the phrase "we'd rather kick your ass than win a hockey game" is still prevalent.

Clearly that isn't 100%, but I didn't say it was. Philly, is a special place.

Great. I lived in Pittsburgh long enough to know half the people who own a Crosby t-shirt can't name 5 other players on the team. I also learned that the city's hardcore fans are terrific.

Here's the thing about stereotypes: when you're wrong, you get smacked pretty hard for them. You're wrong, period.

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012
IF the Pens get past Boston (how I see the ECF) they are home free for the three-peat.

What? Have you seen the West? Several good teams and, we will be the road team this time around. I'm not sure I would sign up to play Nashville as the road team.

It's a tough road this year. We are a good team, a little light on defense that gets covered up by crazy good goaltending, but there is no easy path to the Cup, none.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
IF the Pens get past Boston (how I see the ECF) they are home free for the three-peat.
That's pretty direspectful to the west. VGK is good and can take out Pens. Jets maybe. SJ and Nashville I think Pens can take but they both have unfinished business with Pens

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Here's the thing..the Pens have scored 5+ on the Flyers every game besides 1. Flyers really suck vs Pens

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
Out of all of those I’d maybe call Downie extremely dirty. I mean we could play that game with every NHL team.

That looks nothing out of the ordinary to me.
Maybe someone could help me out here, but there was a season, maybe 8-10 years ago where the Flyers had something like 6 different players suspended at various times for dirty hits.

And you’re right, every team has had their goons but it’s been a team mentality for Philly for years. Some games looked more like a WWE match than a hockey game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad